Honored Contributor

I Wish I'd Known Philosophy's Fresh Cream Smells Like Vanilla

I have sat through Lisa going on and on about how she can't stand any aromas. The one aroma she says she lives for is 'Fresh Cream' by Philosophy.

Maybe she's said it. I know I don't have the best memory around. However, I've never heard her say it has a strong vanilla smell.

I have something wrong with me where I cannot smell or taste much at all. If something is very strong I can sometimes smell it a little.

The minute I opened the Philosophy 'Fresh Cream' lotion, the aroma of vanilla hit my nose. As it happens I don't care at all for the vanilla smell. I know other people who don't care for it. I think that aroma is one you either like or dislike. It seems to me that there's very little sitting on the fence when it comes to vanilla.

I know aromas are something very personal (likes vs dislikes). I realize pulling out a fragrance from perfume is something that is very subjective.

However, I wish I'd been given (during all of those presentations) a little heads up that the aroma of vanilla is in the forefront of this.

I keep finding myself using the term "smell" when I should use the term aroma. I realize smell is something a person does. Aroma is an odor. An odor can be good or bad.

It's not a big deal and I wouldn't even mention it.....except I'm soooo tired of sending things back to QVC for one reason or another. When it comes to this I really wanted to like it.

Super Contributor

Re: I Wish I'd Known Philosophy's Fresh Cream Smells Like Vanilla

My mom had the same experience as you - she bought it based on Lisa's rave and got it home and couldn't stand the sweetness of it. She gave it to me - I happen to love the smell, but try to avoid philosophy products due to animal testing, so won't purchase it again. Lisa should definitely tell people that it's a sweet smell.

Super Contributor

I like the smell, but I was lucky enough to have smelled it at ULTA. The presentations I have seen have talked abut the sweetness of it, like a frosting smell but have never come out and said vanilla. I think it is hard to describe a scent but they should tell what the main notes are.

Valued Contributor

I just looked at item A238275 and the Philosophy rep and Lisa both mentioned sweetness and vanilla. Plus the numerous online reviews also mentioned sweet and vanilla.

Super Contributor

To me the Fresh Cream smells exactly like Jiffy Marshmallow; the kind in the jar that you make fluffer nutters with. That's my interpretation- marshmallow. I didn't care for the overly sweet smell either; I smelled it in a store.

Super Contributor

Lisa frequently said that the smell was like vanilla.{#emotions_dlg.blink} And I rarely ever watch any of her presentations but when she is doing a beauty show, she clarifies...

Honored Contributor

For me it had a sour smell, I would not rebuy the lotion.

Valued Contributor

I haven't tried it, but have looked over the reviews everytime it's on because it is difficult to describe a fragrance. People generally use the words sweet, vanilla or marshmellow in their reviews. But, to be fair, the online description does not say vanilla, but it does say sweet. I do think we all sort of have our own interpretation of fragrances...

I used to see Philosophy shower gels at T.J.Maxx, but haven't recently. I'm not sure if it's my particular TJM or not. I know they would probably not have Fresh Cream, but kind of disappointed that I have not seen them there recently..

Honored Contributor

Yes, definitely vanilla. I haven't made it in to wash my wrist yet. The smell of vanilla is very strong. Not a big deal (I keep saying that). I'm just tired of ordering and sending stuff back.

Usually things go over my head (I don't pay enough attention) but when it came to ordering this I tried to be so careful.

I know I need to get over myself and stop stressing about something so stupid. This came in a heavy box and now I have to pay to send it back. If it'd only used the words vanilla or if someone had said vanilla.

Super Contributor

On 4/10/2014 annabellethecat said:

Yes, definitely vanilla. I haven't made it in to wash my wrist yet. The smell of vanilla is very strong. Not a big deal (I keep saying that). I'm just tired of ordering and sending stuff back.

Usually things go over my head (I don't pay enough attention) but when it came to ordering this I tried to be so careful.

I know I need to get over myself and stop stressing about something so stupid. This came in a heavy box and now I have to pay to send it back. If it'd only used the words vanilla or if someone had said vanilla.

Maybe you know someone who would like it and not mind that it had already been tried out.