Occasional Contributor

Tarte sold to KOSE - A company that does animal testing

For you Tarte ladies that are against animal testing, what other brands are you considering?

Super Contributor

Re: Tarte sold to KOSE - A company that does animal testing

Just bought a Nars matte multiple stick blush to replace my Tarte blushes. Supposedly Nars doesn't animal test, but there are so many ways to get around that, so I'm not sure how clean they are. I just don't believe anyone any,ore - guess I'm cynical. Really liking the blush though.

Super Contributor

As far as I know, Nars is owned by Shiesedo which does animal testing. Once I use up my stash, which will take years, lol, I will look into this issue again. Brands I will consider are Josie, Juice Beauty, and several sold at Whole Foods. My needs are not just no animal testing, but also vegan. That means no animal products such as carmine or emu oil in the cosmetics and skincare. Dennis Gross has many vegan items in his skincare line.
Super Contributor

It's so hard to find truly cruelty free brands. Thanks for the heads up on Nars. Sigh. I've been a vegetarian for 43 years and devote myself to dog rescue, so I'm doing the best I can, but it's so depressing how difficult it is to live a cruelty free life. I guess we can all just do our best given the reality of life.

Honored Contributor

I know, so completely disappointing. I don't really wear anything from Tarte on a regular basis but now for sure I won't be trying anything else from the line.

And yes, Shiseido (owns NARS and a dozen other brands like Bare Escentuals) does test on animals unfortunately. They sell to China as well.

Super Contributor

That is so disappointing. I'm surprised...

Super Contributor

Rest assure everyone. Tarte does not and will not be testing on animals. Yes Kose does. In the legal deal Maureen made In order for Kose to buy it the product had to stay natural with no animal testing. This is from a tarte employee. I am in the business. I don't believe in animal testing at all but that being said ,do you know how many over the counter and prescription drugs have been tested on animals. And these products you digest. I think everyone need to relax and enjoy tarte's wonderful products!
Super Contributor

Also shiseido owns a lot of companies. But they are from Japan which has strict standards. Do they sell to china. Yes
Super Contributor

On 4/10/2014 beautydiva said: Rest assure everyone. Tarte does not and will not be testing on animals. Yes Kose does. In the legal deal Maureen made In order for Kose to buy it the product had to stay natural with no animal testing. This is from a tarte employee. I am in the business. I don't believe in animal testing at all but that being said ,do you know how many over the counter and prescription drugs have been tested on animals. And these products you digest. I think everyone need to relax and enjoy tarte's wonderful products!

Source? Anonymous "Tarte employee" doesn't give me any confidence.

Respected Contributor

I don't mind animal testing. What does bother me is human testing.