Valued Contributor

Best flat iron that won't "break the bank" & what to look for when purchasing

Please help! Want a flat iron but don't know which has the best features and what to look for in a flat iron. Plus one that is not hundreds of dollars too! Thanks

Respected Contributor

Re: Best flat iron that won't ""break the bank"" & what to look for when purchasing

Remington Ulta Pearl Pro 1" Flat Iron is perfect. I got mine from Ulta (It's $29.99, but goes on sale or you can use a coupon). I have had more expensive flat irons & this works just as well. The only thing that I am really careful about is that there is not any thing at the base of the iron to pinch my hair. I had one that did. Ouch! This one gets hot in seconds, smooths my hair easily (my hair isn't very curly, so I don't know about that.).

Super Contributor

Re: Best flat iron that won't ""break the bank"" & what to look for when purchasing

You have to first figure out what you need--does weight bother you? If so, you will want to choose a ligher iron. Do you plan to curl as well as straighten? If so, you will want the rounded edge plates. Do you care about the actual temperature? Some have the adjustable temperatures (and show the actual temperature), some don't.

Sorry to not recommend something by name, but I think it's more important to figure out what you need first. That said, I borrowed by stylist's (friend) mega-expensive CHI, didn't like it because it was way too heavy and I kept burning myself! I have several flat irons, all different makes, (none extremely expensive) I find them all to be about the same, so probably no need to spend a lot. I would go to Sally's, find the model that has the features you are looking for.

Super Contributor

On 4/9/2014 Dusty1 said:

Remington Ulta Pearl Pro 1" Flat Iron is perfect. I got mine from Ulta (It's $29.99, but goes on sale or you can use a coupon). I have had more expensive flat irons & this works just as well. The only thing that I am really careful about is that there is not any thing at the base of the iron to pinch my hair. I had one that did. Ouch! This one gets hot in seconds, smooths my hair easily (my hair isn't very curly, so I don't know about that.).

I have this flat iron as well. I bought it after having several expensive Chi's & a Sedu quit on me after a year or less. I refused to spend over a hundred bucks on a flat iron that may or may not last a year. It works just as well, doesn't snag my hair, is light weight and has digital temp readout on it. You can't go wrong with this one for $30. I got mine at Target.

Valued Contributor

On 4/9/2014 Dusty1 said:

Dusty1:

Thanks for your reply. my hair is not curly at all. This sounds like what I was looking for. Tried an expensive flat iron and took it back to Ulta. Too heavy and never could get it to work right. Some problems with it might be user error, but not all of it! I am mainly going to be straightening, not curling with the flat iron I get.

Trusted Contributor

I also have a Remington flat iron. Don't know the model name offhand but it's been going strong for almost four years. I think I paid around $40 for it. My review is the same as Dusty1's -- heats up quickly and does a great job smoothing my hair.

ETA: You might want to check Marshall's and TJ Maxx. They often have great deals on hair styling tools and I'm sure I've seen Remington products.

Trusted Contributor

I use the Remington Frizz Therapy 1" flat iron. It has solid ceramic floating plates, adjustable digital temperature, and a swivel cord. Works great and out of 176 reviews on walmart.com, 145 are 5-star. $38.18 today, but sometimes their prices fluctuate a little.

Valued Contributor

Looks like Remington wins!! Thanks to everyone who responded. I always get such good feedback here

Respected Contributor

www.folica.com

Lots to choose from.