Honored Contributor

Do you ever feel like tossing all your older make-up and

just keeping less than 10 lipsticks, 2 or 3 blushes, etc. Also ridding yourself of older creams that you don't like that much, etc.? I have so many older items from TSVs, GWP's., etc. and I "think" I will still use them. Anyone just kind of "start over"? How did that work out for you?

Respected Contributor

Re: Do you ever feel like tossing all your older make-up and

I think the same thing ... but I feel guilty because it's such a waste. But I do need to de-clutter. But then sometimes I'm afraid once it's gone and there's more room, I'll start filling it up again{#emotions_dlg.bored}. It's just a vicious cycle.

Regular Contributor

All the time.
Super Contributor

I did. I tossed about 3 full lines of makeup and a treasure trove of BE I had collected for years. I'm now only using Trish McEvoy.

Honored Contributor

I am still doing my ten item plan. Every once in awhile I walk into the bathroom, open the linen closet, drawers and triple medicine cabinet, and pick the ten items I like the least. Into the trash they go, since most of this has been opened. Then I quit and walk away. So far I have only retrieved one eye shadow from the wastebasket and I've gotten rid of maybe 100 pieces. Someone suggested doing five items if this is too hard for you. I think that was ennui1.

Trusted Contributor

I finished "the great purge" about a year ago with a few stragglers just being pitched not but a few weeks ago.

I threw out probably $1000s of dollars (based on purchase price). Philosophy, BE, more Philosophy, tons more BE, and a few other Brands like Perlier and PTR all in the bin.

None of it excited me any more and quite frankly the skin care was really doing nothing.

I was stuck in a rut and didn't want to break my brand loyalty. It was a slow process, but I got beyond that and the money I was throwing away and purged 95% of my stockpile.

It was so liberating! I got rid of the clutter, got rid of what wasn't working and started experimenting with new brands I never allowed myself to try in the past.

I've had fun trying out new lines and finding what works best for my skin. And I found I'm shopping mostly drugstore brands now...saving a ton of money (now), only purchasing when I need to and having better skin and a nicer complexion than I did before with all my other "stuff".

If you've been thinking about a big purge, I say go for it. The guilt subsides pretty quickly! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Trusted Contributor

I've never worn a lot of makeup (partly because I was allergic to virtually all eye makeup) but when I retired I threw it all out and now I almost never wear any - a little lipstick from time to time. Most of the time my skin is in better shape now than ever before and my friends and dermotologist say I look at least 10 years younger than I am.

Super Contributor

I actually did that very thing a few months ago. I even gave my Naked palettes to my daughter. I'm down to two medium size makeup bags now - one for makeup and one for skin care. The cleanser lives in the bathroom.
Super Contributor

Yes - I've done it and it was GREAT! Once I tried Josie Maran's line and fell in love with a couple of key items, like foundation and blush, I got rid of all the things I had been "trying" along the way. I got rid of tarte, bareMinerals, and a few other stragglers. The only other line I use, besides JM, makeup wise, is Mally, and only for eye products - shadow, liner, mascara. I have a couple of skincare products (cleanser, moisturizer) from philosophy, and once they run out, I will be switching over to JM for those as well. My makeup takes up just a shelf with an organizer in the medicine cabinet, and it is very liberating! I only buy what I need makeup wise, and I stick to my chosen lines. Do it - you'll be so glad you did!
Honored Contributor

I can't afford to do that.