Honored Contributor

Can anyone name just ONE company that has improved after buyout?

Ojon, Philosophy, Tarte, Honora and Judith Ripka. The jury is still out on Ripka, but I've never noticed improvement in any company that is taken over by a huge impartial corporation.

Honored Contributor

Re: Can anyone name just ONE company that has improved after buyout?

nope

Super Contributor

I know this isn't a cosmetic company, but I don't think Sears improved when Kmart bought them out. Kmart took the name Sears Corp. trying to make them look better, but I don't think it was an improvement for either store. It did save Sears from bankruptcy though.

Super Contributor

I can't think of one. The companies are purchased to make money for the new owner, who will cut corners (and lay off workers) to increase its profit margin. When I hear a company has been acquired by a mega-corp, to me it's the kiss of death.

They always claim nothing will change. They always change.

Honored Contributor

Blogger. It's not a cosmetics company, but it improved after Google bought it, giving it more resources and allowing it to finally have a stable platform and hosting that didn't crash frequently. If you've ever read a blog hosted at a URL with blogspot.com in it, you benefited from that buyout.

I know some people will disagree with me, but I think Bare Minerals may have. It wasn't until they were bought by Shiseido that they introduced pressed powder formulas and now a liquid foundation. They still have their original and matte loose foundations, blushes, and shadows, but the pressed versions allow for more people to become familiar with the line.

Super Contributor

Another negative report - remember Frusen Gladje ice cream? They were bought out and taken off the market. I forget who the buyer was, obviously someone who wanted to eliminate the competition. That ice cream was my favorite.
Valued Contributor

MAC Cosmetics

Super Contributor

It depends on what you mean by ""improve"".
Frequent Contributor

I used Philosophy for years and BE but found they both changed when they were sold and not for the better. Haven't used either one since.

Super Contributor

Some companies seem the same, so it's not always a detriment to sell. Sometimes they simply gain stability.