Super Contributor

Am looking for a good over the counter base coat... Any recommendations?

lovestodance

Trusted Contributor

I have been using Nailtiques for over 20 years and it makes my nails beautiful. It comes in all different formulas depending on what you need. They do make a base coat that I use and Love. Its sold all over but I buy mine in my local CVS. I have tried them all and nothing compares.

Super Contributor

Revlon Colorstay is wonderful.

Beauty blogger and YTer who loves it all! Cheers, Lulu Bea aka Lulu On Beauty - Let's be FACEBOOK beauty friends!
Honored Contributor
On 4/7/2014 LuluCCS said:

Revlon Colorstay is wonderful.

That's what I use with OPI polish and Revlon's No Chip Topcoat and with a little touch up can go almost three weeks!

Valued Contributor

I use Sticky base coat. I get it at Beauty Brands. Then follow with OPI nail polish and Sally Hansen Insta Dri. My manicure can last up to 3 weeks.

I love my family, my fur boys, my Jayhawks and accounting!
Honored Contributor

By far and away--Nailtiques is the best!! Had chemo in 2012 and my nails were so bad, soft, peeling and splitting. I started taking biotin and then last year, Lola, who does the great weekly nail polish how-to, on the beauty board, mentioned this brand so I have been using it for about 6 months now and what a huge difference. Hard, strong nails finally.

Super Contributor

Thanks all... Will be checking.. BTW where can I find Nailtiques?

Super Contributor

Sorry just saw where it can be found... Unfortunitely don't have a CVS in my area... Wondering if Walmart,or Rite Aid has them?

Honored Contributor

Walgreens and Rite Aid has that brand as does Ulta. I use Nailtiques #2. Now one bottle is under $10 so it isn't cheap. And you should apply it nightly for awhile too. I do that after I treat my nails with ""Tips"" or a liquid calcium roll on stuff I got from HSN. Or even rub your nails with olive oil--that would be good too. Let that soak in and then apply the polish.

Honored Contributor
On 4/8/2014 lovestodance said:

Thanks all... Will be checking.. BTW where can I find Nailtiques?

Nailtiques can be found in Ulta, some drugstores (CVS carries a few formulas) and some grocery stores. Nailtiques is a salon protein treatment, so it's more expensive than most drugstore treatments or base coats.

I also really love Revlon ColorStay, which is one of the best drugstore base coats I've ever found. It works really well for me, but not at all for my friend. Unfortunately, nail polishes are like that - one person's holy grail never fail item won't work for someone else.