Frequent Contributor

Tria Age Defy Laser or Derma rolling - which is more effective for collagen production?

Hello beauties, Any expert advice regarding the better tool/ procedure (Tria or Derma Roller) for increasing collagen production on the face? I know the Tria is much more expensive - but I'm only interested in your opinions about EFFECTIVENESS for collagen and elastin production. TIA
Contributor

Re: Tria Age Defy Laser or Derma rolling - which is more effective for collagen production?

I would love to hear some discussion on this question!

Respected Contributor

Re: Tria Age Defy Laser or Derma rolling - which is more effective for collagen production?

Ugh, I just don't know. I've had several different lasers and am currently using a derma roller. The lasers I've had though were in a term or dr.'s office so they probably can't be fairly compared to the Tria. Lasers I've had in an office were def more effective that a derma roller

Regular Contributor

I think you aren't getting many answers because the ladies here have only been using the Tria for one week and I know there are a few who were using the derma roller, but I'm not sure that it was a long enough time for them to see results.

We won't know the Tria results for at least another 11 weeks or so. I suggest you come back and ask your question in a couple of months and you may get more responses then.

Just didn't want you to think your question was being ignored. We just don't know the answer yet.

Super Contributor

I've seen some pretty amazing 'after' photos from those using a dermaroller. I'm thinking of one, BellaCarro, from Dr. S. which was after 6 months. Probably not nearly as dramatic as what a laser assault will do, but for those who don't want to go that route, I think the dermaroller is a great choice. (My best friend, for example -- he's willing to roll, but isn't sure if he wants anything 'done' and would never commit to the Tria regimen).

I think dermarolling is much more gentle, probably with gentler results. But I'm not really sure why -- they both essentially cause our skin to up the collagen production.

I can let you know in about 12 weeks, funlovin. :-) I'd dropped back to once a month for the dermaroller and had done 3 monthly rolls -- 12 weeks. I'll give my final verdict after the 8 week on/4 week off Tria protocol.

Trusted Contributor

On 4/7/2014 funluvin said: Hello beauties, Any expert advice regarding the better tool/ procedure (Tria or Derma Roller) for increasing collagen production on the face? I know the Tria is much more expensive - but I'm only interested in your opinions about EFFECTIVENESS for collagen and elastin production. TIA
Based on everything I've read, including Dr. Setterfield's book, both are effective.
@(-_-)@ ~lyn~
Birman =^..^= Servant
Member since 04.2007

Valued Contributor

Lyn, do you have the first edition or his newest from last year. It's 65.00 at Amazon. I wish he would make a condensed and more affordable version for the home user. From what I gathered, derma rolling is the poor man's laser. If you own a tria, you won't need to do derma rolling. Is this correct?

I'm going to do my third roll tomorrow. I use a .5 and a 1.0 roller. I'm still not sure what my schedule should be. I'm working on skin elasticity. But one site will say to do a deep roll every five weeks, others say use a smaller needle length several times per week. And I am still confused as to what to put on the skin after a roll besides the infadolen.

Maren and Bella, what needle lengths are you using?

Trusted Contributor

beautybee - I have his new edition. Dr. Setterfield does not advise we use longer than a 0.5mm for home use. He recommends it be used no more often than once monthly. He states that shorter "cosmetic length" needles (0.2mm and 0.3mm) can be used on a daily basis to increase the benefits of skin care ingredients. My understanding is that if we are using the 0.5mm on a monthly basis, we want to allow one full week of healing time before we use a cosmetic length on a daily basis. Dr. Setterfield does not recommend the use of a needle deeper than 0.5mm outside of a medical setting. He also believes, based on his studies that 0.5mm produces the best results for CIT, and deeper needles are not beneficial for that purpose. loa, I agree with you. I see no benefit in combining home laser with derma-rolling.
@(-_-)@ ~lyn~
Birman =^..^= Servant
Member since 04.2007

Super Contributor

On 4/8/2014 beautybee said:

Lyn, do you have the first edition or his newest from last year. It's 65.00 at Amazon. I wish he would make a condensed and more affordable version for the home user. From what I gathered, derma rolling is the poor man's laser. If you own a tria, you won't need to do derma rolling. Is this correct?

I'm going to do my third roll tomorrow. I use a .5 and a 1.0 roller. I'm still not sure what my schedule should be. I'm working on skin elasticity. But one site will say to do a deep roll every five weeks, others say use a smaller needle length several times per week. And I am still confused as to what to put on the skin after a roll besides the infadolen.

Maren and Bella, what needle lengths are you using?

Lyn and Bella are the scholars on this subject but I'll tell you what I was doing based on their research.

I began with a 1.0 and used it 2-3 times a week. Instant gratification was because our skins become a little red and have edema (I think it's called microinflammation). I'd planned to "graduate" to longer needles being of the mind set "more is better".

Lyn and Bella learned from Dr. Setterfield that the OPTIMAL length is 0.05. It's long enough to penetrate the dermis to allow the injury/collagen process, but longer needles actually showed less favorable results

Probably most important info (for me) is that it takes a full 30 days to allow the collagen to fully regenerate. So rolling more frequently actually interrupts the regeneration process -- we're re-injuring before the full "healing" cycle can be completed.

This is my interpretion and I'm sure BC and Lyn will correct my misunderstandings

Dr. Setterfield also recommends using a shorter needle -- 0.02 - 0.03 -- a few times a week to amp up product penetration. It's enough to allow products to more easily get into the epidermis, but not long enough to re-ingure (and thus interrupt the collagen process).

So I WAS using the .05, but have halted since beginning the Tria. Lyn mentioned she may use the "cosmetic length" roller during the 4 week rest period after the treatment. That makes a lot of sense to me. :-)

Are you using one?

Valued Contributor

Thank you for the quick reply, Lyn! Smile That makes perfect sense to me. I will stick with the .5 once a month. That is doable for me.

Hi Maren, I just saw your reply. I am going to do the .5 instead of the 1. I have been doing it once a month because that's what some of the girls at EDS were doing after they did the research. And that was what I gathered was the safest route. I think I may have to do a shorter needle roll for product penetration.