Valued Contributor

Survey, Please - How Many 50+ Ladies Out There Now Use Only Cream Blush?

I've read numerous places that us 50+ or even 40+ women should put down the powder blush and the face powder forever, that it's too aging. I don't know if I'm ready to do that. I'm 59, and while I do sometimes use cream blush in the Winter, I mostly still use powder blush. Most makeup kits give you powder blush. You definitely get more color variety with powder blushes than you do with cream. My two favorite makeup lines Estee Lauder (really surprising because I always felt they were targeting more mature women) and Lancome don't even make cream blushes. Thanks for your input.

Regular Contributor

Re: Survey, Please - How Many 50+ Ladies Out There Now Use Only Cream Blush?

I'm now in my early 50's and have been using cream blushes for several years now. I do not use powders of any kind, not even setting powder, except powder eye shadow (which I rarely use since my eye lids tend to be dry). I find that using cream blush makes me look more natural, it also blends better, and doesn't accentuate dry spots or pores like powder ones do.

I've also given up buying makeup kits b/c they almost always contain powder blushes and/or powder eye shadows. Instead, I buy individual makeup items that work for me.

My favorite cream blushes:

*Josie Maran Infinity Lip & Cheek Tint (new)

*Boom Stick Color by Cindy Joseph

* Laura Mercier cream blush

* Bobbi Brown Pot Rouge

*TheBalm How Apple them Apples Cream Blush/Lip Palette

*Josie Maran Argan Color Sticks

*Sonia Kashuk (Target) cream blush

Valued Contributor

I am 57 and also use cream everything. I have not used powder for awhile now. Looks more natural and glides on for me.

I like the Avon blush on a stick. I have others too but the one I grab the most. Just ordered a new one yesterday.

Valued Contributor

I too, no longer use powder blushes, but yet to give up finishing powder…how does one set their make-up with out it? I have yet to figure that one out! I am in my mid-50's...

I have not tried, but want to, the Maybelline Master Glaze Blush in stick form. It is new for 2014 and has gotten good reviews. That is my next purchase when I need cream blush.

I am in a conundrum…what do you 50+ beauties do to "set" your make-up to keep it from traveling on your face if you don't use setting powder? I would love to know.

Valued Contributor

I just might break down and buy the Bobbi Brown TSV - it's got the Pot Rouge in it, that Paula's Choice rates a Best. I've always wanted to try it. The Bobbi Brown TSV thread lists what's going to be included, and it looks like they are all my colors. Kiss

Respected Contributor

I am over 50 and have been using cream blushes for a while now. They look much more natural. I put them on with a cosmetic sponge or a stipple brush. I don't care for powder after using cream blushes they don't look natural. The ones I use are NYX in stick form which I love you only use a little bit as it goes a long way, and Elizabeth Arden beautiful cream blush. I have used Bobbie Browns pot rouge and didn't care for it it didn't last that long on me.

Super Contributor

I'm 71 - tried cream blush quite a few years ago and didn't like it. I'm staying with the powder.

I don't understand what's aging about powder blush. I actually prefer the look of the powder blush. I can do subtle contouring that I can't do with cream.

Respected Contributor

On 4/6/2014 Good4u said:

I too, no longer use powder blushes, but yet to give up finishing powder…how does one set their make-up with out it? I have yet to figure that one out! I am in my mid-50's...

I have not tried, but want to, the Maybelline Master Glaze Blush in stick form. It is new for 2014 and has gotten good reviews. That is my next purchase when I need cream blush.

I am in a conundrum…what do you 50+ beauties do to "set" your make-up to keep it from traveling on your face if you don't use setting powder? I would love to know.

I use a Rosewater & Glycerin mist by Heritage Store. I find it at Whole Foods for about $8.
Respected Contributor

I had never tried a cream blush until I picked up a Nars and a JM gelee. Thought they were just okay. Then I tried applying with a stippling brush and the result was much improved and now I love them. I still use powder blushes too. I have begun to prefer the cream blush finish, though. I mentioned this in a previous post to Good4u but you might try a finishing mist like the one I mentioned after powders.
Super Contributor

I use only cream in a stick form. For d/s, Maybelline makes studio stick which I love and find it easy to get a natural look. I also like Benefit Fine One One which is three colors, a highlighter, a coral color, and a pink. I don't know why one is coral, it seems to me a darker contouring color would be better, but I still like the product.