Super Contributor

AGING......to fight or accept gracefully?

I was looking over my extended stash of "miracle products/gadgets" and thought of all the TIME/EXPENSE this stash has cost me...

Plus the emotional investments I had made in each new item..as if THIS would "be the one" which of course.... it wasn't.

I have been fighting the good fight...etc..but at 56 now I am SO DONE!

Of course, I will still take care of myself as usual w/exercise, proper diet etc., but I a going to simplify my routine using "back to basics" skincare.

Such as Oils/witch Hazel/SPF..etc.

It is quite difficult to look at (virtually) all that wasted cash sitting on my shelves and in plastic bins..and let's not even talk about the entire bedroom w/wall to wall "fashions"!which is another fight I am willing to wage .

...I'm just so done w/this battle.

Of course I will not become slovenly or unkempt ---just looking to accept that I am aging and concentrate on more important things..

anyone else getting tired of the battle and just want to rest?

Respected Contributor

Re: AGING......to fight or accept gracefully?

I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet, but I do find myself throwing on a ball cap with pony tail and sun glasses more these days to do my running around. I still love to get BABED up to go out with DH but it takes more and more time and effort these days so I am enjoying not being as fanatical about it now.
Honored Contributor

I'm a firm believer of aging naturally. I really object to all of the botox and plastic surgeries of today. I'm 60 and proud of it. I have overcome HUGE medical issues. I will always take care of myself. I'll always eat right, exercise daily and coloring my hair is a must! But give up? Never! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

"Pure Michigan"
Super Contributor

I've never put much money into anti aging beauty products , my experience is that they just don't work. But I color my hair, dress well, wear make up...same as I have since my teens...I just like looking good, and I was blessed with good genes. It is really only in the last few years that I have been tuned into my aging, and that is really based on the number of years and some health issues. I believe I "think" young. It is more related to my continuing to learn new things, such as languages, musical instruments, etc...stress and attitude plays a bigger role in aging than beauty products. We laugh a lot here, and I am not bitter, nasty, jealous or cruel. Those are the things that age you,
Esteemed Contributor

What I've "accepted" is that looking as young and fresh as possible makes me happy! I've stopped trying to look "hot" with smoky eyes and walk-of-shame hair and have no plans to have surgery (yet), but I have every intention of continuing with my Retin A, Botox, Juvaderm, laser treatments, and my potions, lotions, and serums as long as I can reasonably afford them.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Super Contributor

Thanks for the replies.

I do think young--I jog/jumprope/go to gym, play catch w/grandson, recently went to a Trampoline gym and had a blast!

So agree w/the baseball cap/sunglasses--what a great way to hide my 11's! heh

I am a very friendly person and feel/think much younger than my age---as most of us probably do.

Just getting so tired of the battle...in fact I have been reading the COMPACT threads and agree w/the premise and plan to make my own "compact" to get rid of most of my stashes of skincare/clothing.

I want to concentrate on relationships/experiences more than stressing about a new wrinkle or grey hair...that's all I mean.

Acceptance of aging does not mean I won't take care of myself--just means I will no longer waste precious time watching beauty/fashion shows/shopping at Bm stores/online, etc.

Unopened/unused skincare will be "yard-sale" material or donated...same w/clothing.

De-clutterring my home I KNOW will de-clutter my mind/thoughts. The underlying anxiety I feel due to the huge stashes of THINGS I purchased in this battle against looking older-- hopefully will diminish!

Not so much "giving up"---just re-prioritizing and putting the "battle against aging" in it's proper place (for me)!

thanks to all who respond

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/6/2014 fitnessfreak said:

Thanks for the replies.

I do think young--I jog/jumprope/go to gym, play catch w/grandson, recently went to a Trampoline gym and had a blast!

So agree w/the baseball cap/sunglasses--what a great way to hide my 11's! heh

I am a very friendly person and feel/think much younger than my age---as most of us probably do.

Just getting so tired of the battle...in fact I have been reading the COMPACT threads and agree w/the premise and plan to make my own "compact" to get rid of most of my stashes of skincare/clothing.

I want to concentrate on relationships/experiences more than stressing about a new wrinkle or grey hair...that's all I mean.

Acceptance of aging does not mean I won't take care of myself--just means I will no longer waste precious time watching beauty/fashion shows/shopping at Bm stores/online, etc.

Unopened/unused skincare will be "yard-sale" material or donated...same w/clothing.

De-clutterring my home I KNOW will de-clutter my mind/thoughts. The underlying anxiety I feel due to the huge stashes of THINGS I purchased in this battle against looking older-- hopefully will diminish!

Not so much "giving up"---just re-prioritizing and putting the "battle against aging" in it's proper place (for me)!

thanks to all who respond

You are a very wise women, very grounded and smart. Nice thread.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Super Contributor

Oh my goodness---thanks so much! Just ruminating really...publicly at that! heh

Super Contributor

Fighting with grace.

But I so agree with you, the gadgets do nothing.

If people want to really fight aging, procedures or surgery are the way, if they are affordable.

A ready smile, focusing on others and being comfortable in one's own skin does something that no surgery or procedure can do.

Valued Contributor

I try not to look at it as anti-aging, or fighting my age. Because realistically, I know I am not going to win. Instead, I want to look as good as I can for the age that I am. Grooming wise, I try to zero in on the things that matter to me and not get hung up on other things. Such as, I love to exercise and eat well. I keep up with my skincare, a mixture of drugstore and isomers for eye area. I do have gadgets, but just like my exercise routine I use them in a way that I can alternate it so they are an add on to my overall exercise regimen. I never buy gadgets and put them in a drawer. I can't afford that, plus I buy most of mine on ebay. I find these things work, but most times it takes months to kick in. But I am patient. Lol!

But I am not a nail girl, I henna my hair once a month and that's about it. I don't even blow dry it. One can of hair spray will last me for years. I have a very small, simple wardrobe. One handbag. I had foot surgery so heels are out. Which means sensible shoes.

So my priority is to keep my body looking as fit as healthy as I can and I want my face to match. Lol! I look at it as a hobby rather than a have to.

Think of it this way. You love fitness. What if someone told you that you were too old to kick booty in the gym. You would probably look at them as if they just came down from Mars. Right? (I could use other words, but I don't want to get banned. Lol!) Because fitness is your passion. Many women our age think they are too old to work out, or it's a waste of time.

Maybe you do need a break for awhile from all those beauty things, but then you can go back and pick and choose what you are willing to spend your time on. Then maybe you will develop the same interest as you do with your exercise. At 56, you may not want to use something right now, but at 60 you may change your mind. So those things can be there for you if and when you are ready to use them again. Please don't put so much pressure on yourself. Take a break. Then when you are ready, go back at your own pace, and have fun. ((Hugs))