Regular Contributor

How to determine what Skin Tone I am.....

I realize there are several different Tones, just need some advice in how to figure out which one I am. As always, appreciate you ladies and look forward to the responses. Have a GREAT Week-end!!

Regular Contributor

Re: How to determine what Skin Tone I am.....

Moving thread up......

Frequent Contributor

On 4/5/2014 lexi said:

Moving thread up......

I think the ladies would be helpful especially if you are younger. Over 50 I'm finding it difficult to figure out my skin tone - it's frustrating. One thing I know - pink or yellow undertone: do you see pink in your skin or yellow & then it becomes the question of fair, light, etc. Sometimes a Vendor will mention pink or yellow undertone going thru the shade chart. This may seem odd but I read many yrs. ago - maybe I will look it up again - look at your wrist - green veins or blue veins? I forgot what the color means, it may have to do with cooler tone vs. warmer skin skin. Maybe the ladies will be able to help us - Thanks in advance, ladies. Smile

Super Contributor

Blue veins..............cooler tone, i.e. you'll see pink on your face.

Sorry, I don't know how to determine warm golden or neutral, which are the other 2 tones.

For the main color of your skin..........fair (porcelain), light, medium, tan, deep

Can you match yourself to one of these models?

It Cosmetics Anti-Aging Celebration Foundation with Brush

Super Contributor

I've had lots of trouble finding the correct color for makeup. I am a blue-eyed, white haired woman of "a certain age." My skin is fair and pinky-toned, but I have lots of golden freckles, and very dark circles as a result of health issues and medication. Match my skin, I look washed out ... match my freckles, I look overly made up.

So, my solution is this: I use a fairly light liquid foundation which I mix with gold-toned Skinlights (I am so glad to see it back; I was running out). Instead of trying to cover-up the undereye circles with something lighter, I use a slightly heavier weight cream foundation. For blush, I use something other than a pink tone. Believe it or not, it works, and once I got it figured out, I was good to go.

For what it's worth ...

Honored Contributor

Blue veins for cool (pink). Green veins for warm (yellow). If you truly don't see pink or yellow in your skin and the vein thing doesn't work, go for neutral. Go to your big box store. One of the makeup lines, Loreal I think, has those color transparancies in all their foundation shades. Their line is divided between warms and cools. You might get an idea of what you are by holding those transparancies to your skin.

Super Contributor

Sephora has a Color IQ machine that I keep meaning to get tested with. It supposedly tells you exactly what color/tone you are (and then tells you which foundations are appropriate for your color). Don't know how accurate it is.