Frequent Contributor

My therapist fell asleep during my session.....

He's in his mid-60s and he did not look well.

I was the last patient of the night.

I've seen him over the last 16 years.

And he seemed rather annoyed with my problem.

He told me to let something go from 27 years ago and focus on my present life.

To put it into context: I was brought into a situation 27 years ago, which has turned into a long-held secret. Someone MAY have stolen my idently and used my name on a legal document. Instead of telling me to forge ahead and find out what really happened, he told me to let it go and enjoy my life now. Definitely not was I was expecting.

I dunno.

What do you think?

Respected Contributor

Re: My therapist fell asleep during my session.....

I think he is right. It is not healthy to dwell over something bad that happened that long ago. Falling asleep was rude he needs to make that session free

I have a question. How to you approach having a therapist for the first time? How do you find one for your needs?

Frequent Contributor

On 4/3/2014 kcladyz said:

I think he is right. It is not healthy to dwell over something bad that happened that long ago. Falling asleep was rude he needs to make that session free

I will cut him a break since he's been a good therapist and I think he may be ill.

Frequent Contributor

On 4/3/2014 kcladyz said:

I have a question. How to you approach having a therapist for the first time? How do you find one for your needs?

My primary doctor referred me to him when I suffered from severe depression.

I think you go on a whim hoping it works out and if it doesn't you keep looking.

We've had a 16-year professional relationship and there have been gaps where I have not seen him. I only go now if I need guidance since I don't have a parent or good friend to turn to.

Super Contributor

I'm a (retired) therapist. I can't address his opinions without knowing more, but if you've been going to him for 16 years, he must have had something of value to offer.

He definitely owes you a big apology for falling asleep though whatever his reason!

Super Contributor

Hope he did not charge you for that session. I think you should find a new therapist.
Super Contributor

Since you've been working with him for an extended period of time, I'm sure you've developed a strong trust with him.

I would say this is something to discuss with him next appt. You need to tell him if you took it personally that he fell asleep. Don't rationalize - he looked unwell, it was late. I think on a feeling level it bothered you. It would bother me.

Also, I don't think the discussion about what happened in the past is over. You need to tell him how you're reacting. That's what therapy is all about.

He'll know better than to take it personally. Therapists are trained to remain objective.

A topic and discussion is NOT over until YOU are ready to drop it. Doesn't sound like you are there yet and that's okay.

Take care of yourself! Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

On 4/3/2014 4doggies said:

I'm a (retired) therapist. I can't address his opinions without knowing more, but if you've been going to him for 16 years, he must have had something of value to offer.

He definitely owes you a big apology for falling asleep though whatever his reason!

It must be tough listening to people's problems all day.

If you didn't like a client, could you still treat them?

Frequent Contributor

On 4/3/2014 Irishrose136 said:

Since you've been working with him for an extended period of time, I'm sure you've developed a strong trust with him.

I would say this is something to discuss with him next appt. You need to tell him if you took it personally that he fell asleep. Don't rationalize - he looked unwell, it was late. I think on a feeling level it bothered you. It would bother me.

Also, I don't think the discussion about what happened in the past is over. You need to tell him how you're reacting. That's what therapy is all about.

He'll know better than to take it personally. Therapists are trained to remain objective.

A topic and discussion is over until YOU are ready to drop it. Doesn't sound like you are there yet and that's okay.

Take care of yourself! Smiley Happy

Thanks for the kind words. I love your name.

Frequent Contributor

Part 2:

He also told me I should tell my husband.

I have not told my husband because it involves a close family member and I don't want my hubby tho think differently of this family member.

Maybe this is the bigger problem: My inability to tell my husband.