Respected Contributor

does anyone wear acrylic/gels with tips anymore

I have tried the shellac type overlay, found it to peel off within a week. my own nails are brittle and they break as soon as the length is past my fingertip. With osteoarthritis becoming more noticeable in my hands, I feel they would look prettier and more balanced with longer, beautifully manicured nails. I've tried many products to improve my natural nails, but nothing has made much difference. Likely cause of the dry, brittle nails is aging. I'm 62, it is what it is. In my area I do see people with gel type nails, though I think most people are doing the shellac/gellish as opposed to acrylic or gel with glued on tips. If I am going to get nail enhancements again I need them to last two weeks, not peel off in a few days. Do you see more natural nails or enhancements in your part of the country? what do you have?

Harmonize the World
Regular Contributor

Re: does anyone wear acrylic/gels with tips anymore

I have had acrylics for 30 years...not dragon lady style, just regular normal nail length...not too short or too long. You will hear all kinds of negative comments on this forum from people who hate this nail type either because they have had a bad experience or are just into the natural nail look, or whatever. If you want to try acrylics just be sure you go to a nail tech who knows what she is doing and does it well...preferably someone who has been doing acrylics for a while, is reliable and skilled. I do not have tips ( unless we are repairing a bad break which happens very rarely). I have acrylics that are formed by my tech using the powder and a brush. This is the way they have always been done, and I don't worry about my hands or nails anymore...period. I know they look good...look natural ( they are not supposed to be heavy looking...if they look like buttons on the end of your fingers, they aren't done correctly!). I go every 2 weeks for a fill and anything loose is clipped off and reshaped. You will be told here that the acrylics are outdated and matronly...I can honestly tell you that is not true. I work in an industry that deals with extremely " high maintenance" clients who have a great deal of money...people from all over the world...the majority of them wear artificial nails. I have very, very few clients who wear their nails unpolished or just buffed. Also,, very few just do manicures, and if this is what they do, the manis are done more than once a week generally in order to keep the nails looking fresh. I obviously am partial to acrylics...have never had a bit of trouble with them...and wish you well if you decide to do them. Be patient as you get used to them...in a short time, you'll forget that they aren't just natural beautiful nails on your pretty hands.
Trusted Contributor

I first tried shellac last fall when all my nails had grown to an acceptable length and I've been hooked on the look ever since. My manicure is strong and lasts sometimes up to three weeks! Maybe its the brand of shellac the nail tech used? Shellac has kept my nails looking good now for six months. Much easier on the nails than gel or acrylics - at least that's what my nail tech tells me.

I see both gels and shellac in my area, acrylics look really odd to me now. The long squared off french manicure over acrylics looks kinda of thick and outdated to me now.

Its not cheap, but what the heck!

Honored Contributor

I haven't had fake nails in at least 25 years. Hate what acrylics did to my natural nails when I removed them.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Regular Contributor

Yes, none of this is inexpensive, unfortunately, but as long as you are paying for something done well, it's worth it. As far as any of the acrylics, gels, shellacs being easy on nails...they are all hard on nails, but I don't see that it makes any difference...if I had good nails that were hard and strong, perhaps I would join my clients in a couple of manis a week...but the fact that people wear artificial nails or coatings most likely means that they were having a problem with their nails in the first place. Your nails are covered with acrylic, shellac, etc, so what difference does it make what they look like underneath?
Super Contributor

I had acrylics for years and the part I loved is that the polish never chipped. It did wear away by the cuticle if I didn't get back to the salon soon enough. I just went from acrylics to natural nails (for cost, time etc...) and people told me to use Nailtique Number 2. I am waiting for my nails to grow at least away from the quick to try it. I hate not having my nails. I figured if they don't look better in a month or so I will be back at the salon. The only plus other than money is that I can open things better and I don't poke myself. My hands are very pale and nails really distract from the paleness.

Super Contributor

Fake nails are a dated look IMHO.

Respected Contributor

appreciate the varied responses. for those of you who do the artificial nails, where do you go? to one of the high volume walk-in places? or a hair/day spa salon where nails are done only by appointment? what is your preference?

Harmonize the World
Regular Contributor

I never go to a walk-in place. I go to a salon/spa where you go by appointment only...have my pedis done the same way. I have only had 3 people do my nails in the 30 years I've had them. I think it 's easier to be careful about sanitary practices this way, and,since I absolutely believe that you should find an excellent tech and stick with her, this is the best way to do that.
Super Contributor

On 4/2/2014 mandymom said: I never go to a walk-in place. I go to a salon/spa where you go by appointment only...have my pedis done the same way. I have only had 3 people do my nails in the 30 years I've had them. I think it 's easier to be careful about sanitary practices this way, and,since I absolutely believe that you should find an excellent tech and stick with her, this is the best way to do that.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Ditto what mandymom said. NEVER NEVER NEVER GO TO A WALK-IN PLACE. Go to a salon and find a nail tech that you can be confident working with. Having sanitary conditions is important as well as having licensed techs and legal product.

I've had acrylics for the last 15 years. I have a slight tremor and can no longer do my own polishing. I had 2 weak nails that kept splitting so I used the acrylics. I keep them just a little above the tips of my fingers. Playing with different colors of polish and different looks is fun!!!