Honored Contributor

The ComPact is a commitment to simplify, pare down, streamline. It began as a way to gain some control over our collections of beauty products. Why were we amassing so much, yet not using what we were buying? Why were we always searching for the next new product? Why couldn't we just find what worked for us and stick with it?

The ComPact, however, is not restricted to beauty items. If you have a collection you want to address, do it here. Choose an area you want to work on, and track your progress on the ComPact thread. Members will offer tips and encouragement.

Choose one of our many mantras (“One by one until they’re done!” “We are SPAHHHRRRTAN!!!” “Not until you really have to.” “Buy less, choose well, make it last.” “Resist the propaganda.” "If it's high, I don't buy!" “When in doubt, do without!” “Shoplighters of the World Unite!”) or create a new one and share it. Target items each month to toss, donate, or use, and post your “chopping block” -- or “hit list.” Post temptations, post victories.

They say it takes 30 days for something to become a habit: Let's see if taking the ComPact one month at a time works for you.

Join us.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

And we're off...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Valued Contributor

OK, a new month. A chance to get back on the bandwagon.

This month my goal (as usual) is to have more going out/used up/tossed than coming in.

As for my ORC: I'm going to attempt to empty 28 kitchen drawers/cabinets, clean the cabinets inside and out and hopefully replace less into them than I took out. Wink

Honored Contributor
On 4/1/2014 Eager2Learn said:

OK, a new month. A chance to get back on the bandwagon.

This month my goal (as usual) is to have more going out/used up/tossed than coming in.

As for my ORC: I'm going to attempt to empty 28 kitchen drawers/cabinets, clean the cabinets inside and out and hopefully replace less into them than I took out. Wink

Sounds like one drawer/cabinet each day. Wink

Honored Contributor

I'm trying to do things seasonally. So many items have a three-month expiration: mascara, toothbrushes, fish oil. Today I tossed my old mascara and opened a new tube. Now I have to pick out a new toothbrush from the stash. I still have a month to go on my current bottle of fish oil, so my choreography's still a bit off. I need to schedule some appointments like an eye exam and blood donation (already have a dental appointment in May).

I make a "to do" list for the season, month by month, and check off items as I go. Did taxes today. Done!

Took care of all the dog's personal business last month...

I start in January, so it’s January through March; April through June; July through September; then October through December. Three-month chunks.

Trusted Contributor

Good evening ladies, hope all is well with you. I have not written for quite a while, but I have been reading all the posts. Yes, it is a new month and I am recommitting to Compacting. I have not being doing well on the de-cluttering or watching what I have been buying. I received my credit card bill and thought, I can't remember what I bought. When I do this I know I have purchased way too much "stuff".

Keep on posting ladies, I need to read about your achievements.

Contributor
Hi Compacters! Thank goodness it's a new month. March was busy and went by quickly it seems. I was able to get through a serum that lasted forever, eye serum, a deluxe travel sized shampoo, deluxe travel sized moisturizer, and two travel sized makeup removers. I am almost done with two facial cleansers, those should be empty this week. That said, it was my birthday month, so I have a bunch of coupons and enticing emails. Jumping back on the wagon this month! I worked on cleaning up the kids rooms in March. There are a few things I would like to do still, but they are clean and organized! This month, I want to focus on the guest bedroom, which is a catch all room, and the guest bathroom. It's definitely getting warmer here, so here's to spring cleaning!
Valued Contributor

Thanks so much, JustBee, for starting us again for the month of April. I am making progress, but so much still in the stash. How did they convince me I needed A/D for these items? I sure cannot use them as fast as they claimed I needed them coming. I did use up a SSC cleanser, but not to worry, as there is still more. I like the olive oil to remove make up at the end of the day. I did part with 2 lipsticks, as they were in the orange family, and I can't do orange. One day at a time. That's how it came in, that's how it is going out. Thank you all for your comments. Even though I don't post every little thing, I so depend on all of you to keep me strong and mindful of what I am doing. I have even found exceptional buys that I am now able to, after a conversation with self, leave the area without the item--progress. Happy April to all of you. We can do it!

Honored Contributor
On 4/2/2014 kns110 said: March was busy and went by quickly it seems.That said, it was my birthday month, so I have a bunch of coupons and enticing emails.

Honored Contributor
On 4/2/2014 Beauty$Junkie said:

Thanks so much, JustBee, for starting us again for the month of April. I am making progress, but so much still in the stash. How did they convince me I needed A/D for these items? I sure cannot use them as fast as they claimed I needed them coming. I did use up a SSC cleanser, but not to worry, as there is still more. I like the olive oil to remove make up at the end of the day. I did part with 2 lipsticks, as they were in the orange family, and I can't do orange. One day at a time. That's how it came in, that's how it is going out. Thank you all for your comments. Even though I don't post every little thing, I so depend on all of you to keep me strong and mindful of what I am doing. I have even found exceptional buys that I am now able to, after a conversation with self, leave the area without the item--progress. Happy April to all of you. We can do it!

That's the first thing I did when I started ComPacting: I stopped all auto-deliveries. I just couldn't get through the products quickly enough and they started piling up. I spent way too much time thinking about them and pushing back delivery dates. Just wasn't worth the headache.

And you're right: