Super Contributor

High End Lipstick: Any Recs? Guerlaine, Chanel, YSL, Dior, Tom Ford, Burberry...

For my birthday, I am going to splurge on a high end lip color. I have been watching YOUTUBE, and am really confused. This one loves YSL, another hates them. Opinions WILL vary, but any recommendations out there? Gotta admit, I LOVE the Guerlaine packaging...

Super Contributor

Re: High End Lipstick: Any Recs? Guerlaine, Chanel, YSL, Dior, Tom Ford, Burberry...

I always go to my Chanel lipsticks. I love the variety and the different formulas of their lipsticks. Their Glossimers (lip gloss) are also great. They can't be beat on the variety of reds. Cle de Peau is another line I love. They reformulated their lipsticks and you get a variety of shades and formulas. There is a satin formula which is not heavy. It's more like a gloss. There's a silk formula and a velvet formula which gives a lot of color. I like Tom Ford but there isn't a big variety of colors to choose from.
Respected Contributor

Re: High End Lipstick: Any Recs? Guerlaine, Chanel, YSL, Dior, Tom Ford, Burberry...

I really love Dior lipstick. The classic ones in the black case. I always have trouble with peeling, and lipsticks drying out my lips..but these are absolutely great! Now...I figured since these are so great, I'd try the lip treatment lipsticks (in thin black case), and while I love the initial application, within an hour or so, my lips are all dried out, and chapped. Sooo...I don't know{#emotions_dlg.confused1} Must be an ingredient that does that to me. I'll stick with classic Dior. I'm about to try Elizabeth Arden ceramide lipstick next.

Frequent Contributor

My pick is Chanel but I have some of the new Tom Ford lippies on my wishlist.

Esteemed Contributor

Happy Birthday & what a fun treat for yourself!!

I used to DROOL over YSL when it was offered here. But sadly couldn't swing the cost back then.

The reviews here were of nice consistency but not much staying power.

Trusted Contributor

Of course, every girl has to decide how to spend her own money......but this is one of those desires I don't get at all! Why would I want to blow an extra $20 or $30 or $50 on something as simple as a lipstick, when I can buy beautiful colors, staying power, and lip conditioning formulas at my local drug or department store for $8 or less? No one will even know I'm wearing the fancy, pricey stuff unless I tell them. I hope you enjoy your premium lipstick if this is really important to you for some reason, but I don't see the point.

{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Respected Contributor

Chanel s the best!

Esteemed Contributor

I have never tried any really high end lipstick but would love to, especially the Tom Ford ones. They look like they are just fabulous!

If you have the money and love them and want to buy them, I see NO problem with that at all.

Respected Contributor

On 3/30/2014 GoodStuff said:

Of course, every girl has to decide how to spend her own money......but this is one of those desires I don't get at all! Why would I want to blow an extra $20 or $30 or $50 on something as simple as a lipstick, when I can buy beautiful colors, staying power, and lip conditioning formulas at my local drug or department store for $8 or less? No one will even know I'm wearing the fancy, pricey stuff unless I tell them. I hope you enjoy your premium lipstick if this is really important to you for some reason, but I don't see the point.

{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

You don't see the point but OP does. It's for her birthday and good for her. Why try to make her feel badly about a little splurge for herself? Doesn't sound like she's planning to yell from a rooftop that she is wearing Geurlain. Sounds like it will make her feel a little special and happy. If $50 on a lipstick makes her feel extravagant and spoiled Go For It!
Super Contributor

On 3/30/2014 maestra said:

Chanel s the best!

I agree and today I went to the Chanel counter and bought myself a RED lipstick. I had given up wearing them but when I tried their red it was absolutely perfect with their lovely liner to match.

There is nothing quite so elegant as Chanel lipsticks. They stay on and they wear well without staining. I use nothing else now but Chanel.