Esteemed Contributor

Newest commercials....featuring tattoos

Over the past few days I've noticed commercials on TV that all seem to be featuring heavily tattooed models. Yes, tattoos have been around for centuries and are considered an art by many but I certainly would not say they are "wholesome" as one commercial implies. Yes, I know I'm part of another generation and although many of my peers sported them I do not see any reason why advertisers feel a need to use them in commercials these days. They may feel a need to appeal to a certain market but I think they may be offending more than they are attracting to this particular product. No, wholesome is not a word I would use to describe tattoos. Sorry if I offended anyone but my target is the advertisers.
Respected Contributor

Re: Newest commercials....featuring tattoos

Why offending?

Esteemed Contributor

Neglecting to state OT
Respected Contributor

Hate tattoos- It's just a person al preference

Super Contributor

Many things that are also artistic self-expression are thankfully becoming more accepted today by the masses. And advertisers will always target the largest demographic that has the most money to spend. Nowadays, it's people from teens through 35 or so, and they're more open-minded than most. Which is so totally cool.

Esteemed Contributor

So...you're not worried about how the product performs...just whether or not the models have tattoos...??? {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

If I were marketing a legitimate product, I wouldn't care about what you think either...I'd be more interested in the opinions of people with critical thinking skills.

Sorry if I offended anyone, but my target is the narrow-minded.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Esteemed Contributor

On 3/19/2014 mistriTsquirrel said:

So...you're not worried about how the product performs...just whether or not the models have tattoos...??? {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

If I were marketing a legitimate product, I wouldn't care about what you think either...I'd be more interested in the opinions of people with critical thinking skills.

Sorry if I offended anyone, but my target is the narrow-minded.

That was rather harsh. I don't like tattoos either. People buy from actors/models/spokespeople that they can relate to. If you can't relate to someone who is all tatted up, then you are less likely to buy what they are selling. I would not be offended at a commercial that uses tattooed actors, but I would be less likely to buy their product, especially if they tried to convey that tattoos are wholesome, which they definitely are not.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

Consider me ""narrow-minded"". I agree with the OP.

Regular Contributor

I think the word "wholesome" is an odd choice when describing tatoos. My sons' back and both thighs are heavily tatooed, He is wholesome not his tatoos. I am not a fan of the tatoos but a fan of his. He is a prosecuting attorney in heavy crime area here in VA. The victims families that he helps to provide justice and closure for have no idea that he is tatooed. They do not judge him by his tatoos but what he brings to the courtroom and the compassion and hard work that he puts in to their cases. I try very hard not to judge a book by it's cover.

Super Contributor

Narrow-minded here too. One tasteful Marine tattoo on a guy's arm is fine. The others are repulsive.