Super Contributor

I have been trying to cut down on the cost of my haircare. First I suggested highlights less often. My beautician said it would be better for me to just get my hairdone every 6wks rather than 5. I put root touchup on the 3rd. I did that then I told her to not highlight just color. Guess what the price was the same. It is a hi end salon and there are no prices on display. I used to color my own, but it is so messy, and I am busy since we watch our Grandkids. I would like to find someone nearby that we could do each others hair.

Super Contributor

Re: Who colors their own hair?

30 years of messy coloring..... NO MORE! I let it grow out natural... now I have silver hair, it is healthy, no chemicals. Very freeing!

Super Contributor

I do my own. I have a "hair color shirt I wear, so no biggie if I get color on it. You mention you watch your grandkids, those grandkids have a mom? Ask her to help you apply it if you feel you need help. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Respected Contributor

I go in and have her leave 1/3 of my hair as it is, 1/3 gets new color, 1/3 gets highlights. Then when I do a root touch up, I put my hair in a ponytail and comb in the color. And follow the directions for a root touch up. It works for me, and spreads out the cost and time. If it gets to where I just can't stand it and I color all over, I will go to the salon the next time. I just can't get the right shade of red from a box that it should be, and I HATE the first 2 weeks of box color while waiting for it to fade.

Valued Contributor

My hair is TOO long and I'm TOO chicken! I always have it done by a professional!

Esteemed Contributor

I do and only pay 2.97 for it. The color lasts much longer then if I went to a salon. No more paying 150 plus tip.
Regular Contributor

I color mine. I do an excellent job for about $8.00 and in the privacy of my own home.

Honored Contributor

I color my own hair. I'm less bothered by the mess than by the fact that my eyes aren't so good and it's harder and harder to see. I need a hand mirror to get close and that's hard because I only have the two hands. I'm looking at getting one of those mounted mirrors you can pull out to bring closer to you.

If it's too messy, you might want to look into the brand you're using and how you're doing it. Switching to a comb applicator cut down on a lot of the mess for me and some formulas are much drippier than others, which makes a difference in mess.

Frankly, I feel like the small mess I make coloring my hair once every 5 weeks is nothing compared to the amount of cleanup I have to do after making dinner. I hate kitchen cleanup and cleaning out the crockpot I use once a week or so is more of an annoyance to me than coloring my hair because it's more frequent. It's all relative.

Super Contributor

I do my own - by myself. I lighten it a couple of shades to camouflage the gray. Feria #91.

Esteemed Contributor

I color my own as well. Last week I had it colored for the first time, because I had gotten highlights and wanted to color over them and was chicken. It was 45 plus a tip, she did a good job, but I will be going back to doing it myself from now on.

I do know about the mess, I always wear an old, oversized t shirt, but I have gotten coloring on the fronts of my cabinets and didn't realize it till too late.