Honored Contributor

What Is A Good Over The Counter Eye Make-Up Remover?

Hello ladies. My granddaughter likes to play with all of my makeup. She puts on eye shadow mainly. She isn't allowed to wear it out of the house but has sleep overs and they make each other up!

I gave her some I had I'd gotten in a kit from Serious Skin Care (HSN) and she went through it like crazy.

I don't wear eye shadow (just lots of mascara and eye liner). I use Clinique Creamy Eye Make up Remover but it is kinda of expensive to give to her.

These girls go through this stuff like crazy! They would do through a tub of my Clinique after about 3 get togethers (it lasts me months).

What's a good over the counter eye make up remover that would be good to buy her. I don't want to get something real cheap. I just want to be able to get maybe two of whatever it is.

I am mainly interested in getting something gentle for her. She has amazing skin (as does her Mother (my daughter). My daughter is very specific on her beauty products. She recently started using Stri=Vectin I believe. She's 40 and has no wrinkles and still gets carded. She has always been a person who doesn't wear a lot of makeup.

So, I thought I'd go to the ladies of the Beauty Banter. What do you think would be good ladies.

Thanks ahead of time for giving me some ideas.

Honored Contributor

Re: What Is A Good Over The Counter Eye Make-Up Remover?

I've never used it........but in the past, other posters have recommended baby shampoo

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

For eye make remover? Doesn't the soap get in the eyes? I was thinking about something they didn't have to wash off.

Super Contributor

Before using waterproof mascara, I used baby oil. Ponds cold cream would be fun for the girls to smear on and take off, and works well. I never tried this, but a friend of mine used Noxzema skin cream to take off her make up when we were in high school. I didn't like the menthol smell, but my friend did have beautiful skin!

Honored Contributor

Almay Non Oily Eye Makeup Remover pads.

Honored Contributor

Yes, when her Mom was growing up I bought her and she always used Noxema. I think my daughter has tried to get her to use that but they don't like the smell.

I will look into the Almay products. That's a good idea. I used to love Ponds but it might be too thick for them.

I've been spared (Hummmm!) from seeing them put on this shadow and makeup! I can't imagine what it must look like. I wonder if Mally and some of the others have any idea their makeup is being played with by 11, 12 year old girls!

If I don't give it to them, I just let it sit in those big plastic tubs.

Trusted Contributor

One of the best I have always depended on is Lancôme's light blue makeup remover. They also sell a darker blue one but it is not nearly as effective as their light blue (sorry, I never remember the exact name) But it is not an inexpensive one so might not be what you are hoping to find.

I wish I could recommend one from the DS that I ever found efficient but none worked liked the Lancôme or even close. I do have very sensitive eyes though and can't use anything that requires repeated use to thoroughly remove m/u. If I was going to try a DS brand for my GD's (and I have two that also love to dress up with clothes and m/u) I would try Neutrogena's first. Just seems like they try to make less irritating products overall.

I just sent a box of makeup that I no longer use (and some from my Mother who passed away) to my GD's so they will be having quite a time experimenting with all sorts of new things. I'll ask their Mom what she has found that works for the girls and maybe it will be something that's not terribly expensive.

Trusted Contributor

I do think Almay also makes a gentle product overall but their eye m/u remover never worked well for me. That being said, it has been years since I tried it so maybe it removes m/u better than it used to. I would think they try to improve on products every few years.

Respected Contributor

I use waterproof and have found Maybelline Express works great. However, I start by using some Pond's Cold Cream first then finish with the Maybelline.

Frequent Contributor

I used Yves Rocher gentle eye makeup remover.

If you skin is not too sensitive then Walmart has good eyemakeup remover wipes in the blue and white pack. The green and white pack is for exfoilation