Frequent Contributor

OT...kinda. How many ladies here live the kind of lifestyle...

that would require wearing the glamorous long formal wear that the QVC hosts are wearing and selling tonight? I definitely do not. Formal to me is a long skirt and dressy blouse and that is about it..even in my very young days I did not attend many formal functions and attend even less now.

How about you? How often do you attend black tie events and would you wear the attire being shown on the red carpet show. I don't mean weddings, they may be very formal and maybe glitzy...maybe I do mean weddings also.

Regular Contributor

Re: OT...kinda. How many ladies here live the kind of lifestyle...

I have to say those days are behind me now.
Super Contributor

Never have and never will .
Super Contributor

Honestly, how many people are a part of the Hollywood scene....same goes for the super rich...top 1% perhaps? People who go to White House balls and live the super rich lifestyle are out there, but, they are a small group.
Valued Contributor

I have never been a girlie girl or a dress up person. Yuck! I DETEST dressing up. Biggest waste of time in my opinion. I just don't get it.

Frequent Contributor

Down here we have Mardi Gras balls so I wear dresses like that every season. Some even glitzier than those - beaded and sequined, etc. And I've attended many benefit functions that are black tie required. I love getting all dressed up!!
Super Contributor

Nope - never attended these type of events - wish I had somewhere to wear a ball gown but not running with the rich and famous crowd - don't really feel I am missing anything - hate fake people - love to enjoy life

Esteemed Contributor

I go to two or three black tie events a year excluding weddings.
Esteemed Contributor

When my husband was a Navy Officer we had 2 balls twice a year. At his new job we have a formal x-mas party. I went on a 2 week cruise this year with 2 formal nights and going on a 2 week cruise next year with 2 formal nights. So there are occasions where I need some formal items but most days I am in a hoodie and yoga pants.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Respected Contributor

I go to 2 black tie events a year but I now refuse to wear those long gowns. I cannot stand always worrying about tripping over the them or getting the bottom caught in the bottom of the chair. Now I love and prefer what is called Tea cup length which is mid calf. Very sexy, glamorous and not so old fashioned as a long gown. I tend to go for the look like Helen Mirrin wears.