Esteemed Contributor

O/T Cell Phone Safety-Important-Please Read

{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

A lady has now changed her habit of how she lists her names on her cell phone after her handbag was stolen. Her handbag, which contained her cell phone, credit card, wallet, etc., was stolen. 20 minutes later when she called her hubby, from a pay phone telling him what had happened, hubby says 'I received your text asking about our Pin number and I replied a little while ago.'

When they rushed down to the bank, the bank staff told them all the money was already withdrawn. The thief had actually used the stolen cell phone to text 'hubby' in the contact list and got hold of the pin number. Within 20 minutes he had withdrawn all the money from their bank account.

a. Lock the keypad with a password if your phone allows it!

b. Do not disclose the relationship between you and the people in your contact list. Avoid using names like Home, Honey, Hubby, Sweetheart, Dad, Mom, etc.

c. And very importantly, when sensitive info is being asked through texts, CONFIRM by calling back.

d. Also, when you're being texted by friends or family to meet them somewhere unusual, be sure to call back to confirm that the message came from them. If you don't reach them, be very careful about going places to meet 'family and friends' who text you.

PLEASE PASS THIS ON

Even if this doesn't pertain to you....Pass it on to your family and friends. It may be useful.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Super Contributor

Re: O/T Cell Phone Safety-Important-Please Read

That's scary and thank you for the alert.
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for posting!

My DH has never sent a text, probably never read one from his phone. So, I hope he would have the good sense to be alerted if he ever got something like that! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Do you really know the person this happened to? I would have a hard time believing this to be true.

Super Contributor

Thank you, this is very eye-opening and useful info!!!
Super Contributor

Thank you for posting, Bettieb.

Esteemed Contributor

On 2/28/2014 brii said:

Do you really know the person this happened to? I would have a hard time believing this to be true.

No I don't know the person but, Hoax Slayer says this

Brief Analysis
Versions of the same message have circulated since 2006. The specific case described remains unconfirmed and may have been simply created to give life to the warning. Nevertheless, the tactic described is plausible and the advice in the message is worth heeding

Snopes pretty much said the same thing.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Trusted Contributor

Just one thing to consider. I have family members listed as DH, son, etc. The reason is that in the case of emergency, ambulance personnel will check your phone for next of kin. I know because this happened to me. I woke up in the emergency room and my family was there. I asked how they knew to come, as I was alone when I had my emergency. They told me that the emergency personnel had checked my phone. I might add that I carry my phone in my pocket and DH knows to check any unusual texts with a follow-up call.

A little O/T. I have an app called' Life360'. It will allow you to enter locations, such as home, work, school, etc. It will also let you enter family members. So, I get a notification when DH has left work, arrived home, and it will track him so I can tell exactly where he is at all times, (as long as he has his phone). He can keep track of me in the same way. The app is free, premium has more features and you can add more people. It gives me piece of mind when he is on the road during the winter. DH has piece of mind when I'm away from the house. Good idea for kids, too. If someone steals your phone, you can track it.

Frequent Contributor

On 2/28/2014 lacey1 said:

Just one thing to consider. I have family members listed as DH, son, etc. The reason is that in the case of emergency, ambulance personnel will check your phone for next of kin. . . .

I don't know how widespread this idea is, but I read somewhere that in addition to listings you may want to show as Home, Daughter, etc. (or something more secure), you should also have a listing called "ICE" which emergency responders are trained to recognize as In Case of Emergency. That should be the contact info for your first choice person.

Frequent Contributor

I think this is generally good info, however, my husband would absolutely know something was weird if I suddenly texted him asking for pin numbers. I know our pin numbers to bank accounts as well as he does. I think most people would think it highly strange if their spouse suddenly didn't know their pin number.