Regular Contributor

Has Anyone Ever Had A Sebaceous Cyst On Your Face?

If so, what do you use for cleansing the face, etc.? I have had one surgically removed but don't want the small scar again. Any ideas as far as do's and don'ts for skincare or home remedies for removal?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Has Anyone Ever Had A Sebaceous Cyst On Your Face?

I would not attempt a home removal, ever. I would recommend as a preventative that you exfoliate regularly.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

I have one where my eyebrow starts. As it is so visible, I considered having it removed. However, when I had a consultation the derm suggested that I leave it alone as the scar may be more unpleasant than the cyst. The cyst is skin colored but definately raised....ugh. I wish there was a simple home remedy, but I've had this for most of my life. Good luck to you. Do you regret having it removed? Was it an improvement getting it removed?

Valued Contributor

Surgical removal or not you will get a small scar. I wouldn't play around with home remedies on your face. Your chances of not creating an infection aren't good as it will be hard to leave it alone until it drains itself. Keep it clean, swab with hydrogen peroxide and call the doctor. Good luck.

Honored Contributor

Yes. I'd rather have a scar than a big bump.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Super Contributor

I had one on my neck and had it removed. There is a scar but it has faded to where it is hardly noticeable. I would definitely have it surgically removed. It has been almost 2 years since I had it removed.

Regular Contributor

I watched a demo of a sc removal technique on You Tube that didn't leave a scar.
Contributor

I've had one, but not on my face, years ago. There is something you can buy that will make it come to a head, and it's little pads for boils. I would run hot water over them and put on the cyst. I then sterilized a needle and made a hole in the cyst and well, the rest is pretty gross, but I don't have a scar. If you lance it, by slicing it open, it probably would have a small scar, but I'd let a dr. do that.

Super Contributor

If you don't have the sac surgically removed, it will just come back. Don't try this at home.

Super Contributor

A man I used to work with had one, in the middle of his forehead, like he had a rhino horn that had been trimmed right down. It was hard to avoid staring at it.

One day he came in with a dressing on; he'd had it removed. Once it all healed up, there was no scar. The cyst was about an inch and a half in diameter, which I'd say was pretty big.

That was back in about 1990. Techniques improve all the time, so in the last 20 years they must have got cyst removal down to an art.