Super Contributor

Why is it OK for men to just go grey?

It seems like men are never told they look ten years older. Why does society make women feel they need to cover grey? I think some of it is pushed by the companies who make hair color, and the hair industry ( salons etc). On this board so many woman say that they would NEVER let themselves go natural grey. I am asking because I recently quit coloring and am now proudly wearing my white. I just hate the fact that women feel they must color to be considered attractive. All that money, fuss and the toxic chemicals to boot to fight the inevitable, while Men just go grey with no one telling them they should color. Most of the men that do color look bad when they do(fake).
Honored Contributor

Re: Why is it OK for men to just go grey?

I have no answer for you. I'm glad you're proud of your decision.

I don't want to go gray and so I won't.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

women are women's worst enemies- just read these boards. How many times have you seen women tell other women that they should not go gray because it makes them look older. They always say they should cover the gray. My mom has beautiful shiny silver/gray hair and I am proud of her to not feel any pressure to color it even though many WOMEN have told her she should color it. Funny thing is, MEN have NEVER told her that. And she gets quite the attention from men, even now. Wink She is more beautiful than ever, I truly believe. The silver suits her.

Honored Contributor

I have known a lot of women that look beautiful with their white, gray or silver hair.

Super Contributor

Look at newscasters . All the men let themselves go silver at the temples, and eventually go totally grey. I see very few women newscasters who go grey .... they all color.
Esteemed Contributor

I have seen more and more woman go grey. And it is kind of interesting. Sometimes it feels like a club. When I pass a gal of like color hair it is almost like I am getting an approving nod. My hair is silver white. Love it.

Respected Contributor

women's insecurity about their looks runs deeper than men's in my opinion. years of conditioning to believe in a certain standard of beauty. And to believe that natural aging=unattractiveness, loss of s*x appeal, social scorn. I stopped coloring four years ago. Makes no difference to me whether anyone thinks I'm s*xy or superficially appealing. This was important to my in my teens, twenties, thirties, even my forties. My priorities have changed over the years. At 62 I look how I'm supposed to look. I'm fine with that.

Harmonize the World
Esteemed Contributor

All I can say is we were at a large party recently and everyone was middle aged or over. As I looked over the entire room, I saw who looked good for their age and who didn't and what made the difference. Afterwards, my good friend and I agreed that we will continue to stay in shape, color our hair, and dress well for as long as we possible can!!

Super Contributor

On 2/12/2014 smoochy said:

women's insecurity about their looks runs deeper than men's in my opinion. years of conditioning to believe in a certain standard of beauty. And to believe that natural aging=unattractiveness, loss of s*x appeal, social scorn. I stopped coloring four years ago. Makes no difference to me whether anyone thinks I'm s*xy or superficially appealing. This was important to my in my teens, twenties, thirties, even my forties. My priorities have changed over the years. At 62 I look how I'm supposed to look. I'm fine with that.

That is how I feel.
Super Contributor

I go to a salon in a large metropolitan city and many men refuse to go gray. They are sitting right there next to many women having their gray washed away.In corporate environments many men color their hair. You'd be surprised...

I have about 5 percent gray in my hair but I refuse to let it show. Years ago actresses would age in a movie by going gray. In fact I just watched a movie over the weekend where the central character's face looked almost the same except he had gray hair.....he looked twenty five years older in the film just by giving him gray hair.