Super Contributor

What makes you "connect" with certain stars, famous people?

Just read an article on Cameron Diaz and I can't seem to figure out if I like her or not? Kind of like Kelli Ripa for me....there is something that makes them not as relatable. Their "cutsie" thing seems more forced to me...where as someone like Drew Barrymore feels so much more like "one of the gals".

Do you have other stars who you can't tell if they are all an act or real.

Frequent Contributor

Re: What makes you "connect" with certain stars, famous people?

I liked the singer Adele until I heard her foul-mouthed tirade against her father. Family disputes should be kept private IMO and I haven't cared for her since.

Trusted Contributor

I don't feel like I really "connect" with any star. Their lives are so different from mine.

However, I do like hearing stories of charity work or good deeds that are supposed to be done under the radar. With the age of technology, the work of celebrities gets publicized even if they don't want it to be.

I also have more respect for celebrities that aren't out flaunting their money and lifestyle all the time. It just gets to be too much. They end up looking greedy and selfish.

Honored Contributor

I don't like conceited or overly-confident people. I agree with the cutesy thing --- that's a no go. And I also agree with your comments on Drew Barrymore. I like her. She seems to be just what she is. Of course, the "stars" are different from us, but some don't seem to be so jaded and in love with themselves as others. I can't handle people like Beyonce. Everyone acts like she is some kind of queen and the greatest talent and beauty ever. No way. I'm sick to death of seeing and hearing about her.

I like Sandra Bullock, too. She seems like good people.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Nothing.........even though I did work for a rather well-known person

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

I suppose it's the same thing that makes me "connect" to people in my everyday life. The same values & morals. On the other side, there are famous people that others just adore that I can not even.....Angelina Jolie, Jennifer Aniston (Not because of the Brad Pitt connection-they just both turn me way off!), Bradley Cooper, Matthew McConaughey.

Honored Contributor

Respect for their talent, I guess. And respect for their commitment and hard work. I imagine that's why I enjoyed Breaking Bad so much. I felt that Vince Gilligan had assembled a cast and crew that worked so well together. The writers, actors, and directors produced a series of consistent quality. The show ended before it jumped the shark.

Each actor evolved and became better with each episode. It was fascinating to watch. I'm still amazed by the performances from Bryan Cranston, Aaron Paul, and Jonathan Banks.

I got the feeling that I was watching actors, writers, and directors who were telling me the truth. These projects are rarely the well-oiled machines they're portrayed as. The players don't always get along.

That's why I was so relieved when I went to the BioPark in ABQ last year and stumbled across Steven Michael Quezada who played Steve Gomez on the show (he lives in ABQ and is on the school board). That day he was with a group of people and it appeared as if they were interviewing him for some magazine. I didn't intrude, but I did linger in the area to eavesdrop.

At one point the woman in the group asked: "Now that the series is over, tell us. Who were the divas?"

And Quezada answered as I'd hoped, even when pressed. "There were no divas."

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

On 2/1/2014 Grade1Teach said:

I don't feel like I really ""connect"" with any star. Their lives are so different from mine.

Agree. Most celebs really ""turn me off"". I don't read or follow the lives of celebrities - just not into that. I am not interested in the daily lives of any of these actors or singers. I never watch any awards show - just too much self glorification and bum kissing for me.

Honored Contributor

I've reached the point where I pay so little attention to 'celebrities' that if they had to depend on me for their 'celebrity' status, well, they wouldn't be 'celebrities'...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

They are people I see on tv or in magazines. I don't know they, why on earth would I connect with them? I really don't pay much attention to them at all.

I just thought about something sort of related. My hubby and I were talking last night about commercials and the sappy little stories that some people on tv were talking about and how it made them teary eyed. Those don't do anything for me. It's a commercial and I don't really get involved with commercials. I just think they are sort of silly. Is it just me? Do commercials "get to" you????