Valued Contributor

Question for Those Who Use Mally Gel Nail Polish Kit

I've had the whole set for about a year now; however I haven't used it for a while. The first time around, I really made a mess of my nails which too much scraping trying to remove the product; so, it's been months letting my nails recap. Well, I tried it again two weeks ago; and while I love the way they look and the way they hold up, I still had a hard time removing and now, my nails feel dry. Am I doing something wrong or is there a better way to remove the product so I can continue using it? This time, I used the nail wraps that you can buy with some of the gel remover on it for about 15 minutes. I'd love to be able to use this on an ongoing basis if I can find a better way to remove and reapply.

Super Contributor

Re: Question for Those Who Use Mally Gel Nail Polish Kit

The removal process is what holds me back from using this system more. When I do use it, I soak cotton in the remover apply to each nail, wrap in foil and let sit for about 20 minutes. It softens the gel bit I still have to scrape a bit. Prior to soaking your nails, make sure you are filing the top coat off a bit with the nail file in the kit. This breaks the seal and allows the remover to penetrate all the layers that have been applied.

I worry I am ruining my nails using this Mally kit. Is anyone seeing long term harm?

Respected Contributor

You must file down the tops to break the seal. Try picking one of these up at Amazon for cheap Pro Nail Art Drill Kit Electric File to speed the filing process. It has ajustable speeds, so you can go very slow so not to grind through the polish, but most of it. Then soak a cotton ball in acetone, not nail polish remove, and wrap in bits of tin foil. Check throughout 10 or so minutes to watch the progress. This should speed things up and prevent the scraping. The acetone is the key. Get it from the hardware department and put it into a smaller bottle or one of those pump top bottles for polish remover, Sally's has them.

Valued Contributor

Thanks for the help. I'll try these tips.