Super Contributor

OT Extremely Dry Eyes Question.....

Hi Ladies-

I posted an eye twitch question the other week and it is still here...twitch, twitch, twitch....but I have just now read your responses and think I may have found some help. I have also been suffering from EXTREMELY DRY EYES!! I'm talking ....using eye drops after eye drops and they are still bone dry...dry. Smiley Happy

Many of you recommended certain brands. Can you clarify and then tell me how often you drop?? Thanks!

Super Contributor

Re: OT Extremely Dry Eyes Question.....

I would suggest you see your eye doctor (optometrist or opthamologist) for evaluation. They can suggest OTC drops or Rx e.g., Restasis.

Lola
Honored Contributor

I did not see your previous thread, but I have suffered from dry eyes for at least two years. There are many over the counter eye drops, but you need to find out why your eyes are dry The treatment is centered around the cause. You can spend a lot of money on over the counter drops, and not get to the root of the problem. You may need prescription antibiotic eyedrops and or steroid eyedrops. See an eye dr that treats dry eyes for your own sake. We only have two eyes. Take care of them.
Super Contributor

Ditto to the first 2 posts.

Having extremely dry eyes for an extended period of time is not normal and you shouldn't try to self-treat.

You need to see an opthamologist (eye M.D.). I would recommend a M.D. because an optometrist is unable to write prescriptions which you might need.

Super Contributor

so did you buy the systane ulta like so many of our doctors suggested. i use mine a.m., p.m. and in the middle of the night on the way to bathroom. my eyes are so dry, i can't open them to see where i am going. but nothing is wrong said the doctors.

Super Contributor

Any brands that have had great reviews on Amazon.com, but especially lubricant gels for moderate-to-severe dry eyes, from "Systane" & others.

GenTeal Nightime (bedtime) lubricant/ointment is also very helpful, and prevents waking up with your inner eyelids stuck to your corneas. Smiley Wink

HTH. and stay moist!

All over. Cool

Trusted Contributor

I have dry eyes and I use genteel. My eye doctor told me the best thing for dry eyes is omega fish oil capsules. It works to lubricate the eyes. Andrew lessman just had them on this past weekend and he said the same exact thing as my doctor.
Respected Contributor

I have the same problem and saw my eye doctor. He prescribed Restasis. I used it for a few weeks and it didn't do much. So I went back he suggested Sistane which is OTC. That seemed to work better, but still have it on occasion. I would see what your doctor says. It's so annoying.

Contributor

I feel your pain. I had LASIK done several years ago. I now have severe dry eyes. I have punctual plugs, Restasis eye drops twice a day, Pred Forte steroid eye drops daily and a gel lubricant eye drop at night. I still have problems with painful dryness. Oh, and I just started fish oil supplements. Please make an appt with an ophthalmologist. Eyes are so precious.
Honored Contributor

On 1/23/2014 beautyandabag4me said:

Hi Ladies-

I posted an eye twitch question the other week and it is still here...twitch, twitch, twitch....but I have just now read your responses and think I may have found some help. I have also been suffering from EXTREMELY DRY EYES!! I'm talking ....using eye drops after eye drops and they are still bone dry...dry. Smiley Happy

Many of you recommended certain brands. Can you clarify and then tell me how often you drop?? Thanks!

With something as precious as your eyes why on earth haven't you seen an ophthalmologist yet!

"Pure Michigan"