Super Contributor

OT/ flu shot. Do you get it? or Not? why

Just curious as to what you all think? thank you. Please no bashing others, for wanting it or not. Please post facts that you know.

Contributor

Re: OT/ flu shot. Do you get it? or Not? why

I've never taken the flu shot. But this year I nearly died from the flu and pneumonia. After I was released from the hospital under stipulation that I stay on 24 hr oxygen and keep away from all germs my husband informed me that I WILL be getting the vaccine next year. Something about having the doctors say if we had waited one more day I would have likely died has scared him into action. The strains are worse and worse every year. Scary business.
Respected Contributor

I get one every year, but, mainly because of my age and the fact that I have COPD. I watched my poor Mother die of pneumonia. I don't have any bad reactions at all and I have a lot less bronchial problems. I finally got my husband, (who is older than me) to get one and my daughters, granddaughter and SIL. We've all seen a lot less sickness this year.

Trusted Contributor

No. I did the research and found that there was no real benefit. I anticipated getting the shingles vaccine, but I'm skipping that one as well.

I've never had the flu anyway, but I'm rather maniacal about washing my hands before a meal, washing them again when I get home and not touching my eyes, nose or mouth unless I know precisely where my hands have been since the last washing. I also use gloves for a lot of household chores.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Super Contributor

i get one every year b/c of asthma. but i will tell you that if i got a cold, i hardly know it. it was so different than having a nasty old cold. more like an inconvenience with kleenex.

Super Contributor

Yes. I get one every year. When my daughter was a baby and I was very run down, the doctor recommended it. I have never gotten the flu in all these years, yet I watch those around me that didn't get the shot, get sick. I cannot afford to be out long for the recovery, and now all these years later, am at higher risk for complications.

Super Contributor

I get it and rarely get sick, I certainly recommend them.
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, my family got a flu shot at the end of last October, it's a good thing too as the supply of flu shot vaccines is running out or in short supply in parts of Canada. I realize that a flu vaccine won't protect against every strain of flu but it's better than no protection in my opinion.

Trusted Contributor

I always get the flu shot. I have RA and I'm immunosuppressed because of my treatment for it, and my doctor always reminds me to get the flu vaccine. She also insisted I get the pneumonia vaccine this past Fall. Because the Shingles vaccine is a "live" virus I'm not allowed to get that.

Both my son and my DIL skipped getting the flu vaccine this year and they both came down with the flu. They were extremely ill and were very sorry they hadn't gotten the shot. They definitely will get it next year!

Member Since 11/20/2008
Respected Contributor

I have asthma and work in a school, so I always get it (the shot). Even though they are not little kids, schools are cesspools and I don't have the time to be sick.
Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012