Super Contributor

Question for those who use Clairol Natural Instincts?

I have been having my hair colored with a permanent color for about 3 yrs. A while back I was thinking of coloring it myself & chickened out. I would like to try Natural Instincts & since it is a demi-color, it shouldn't be as harsh on hair.

Does it cover gray well? My hair is Dk. Brown...

Frequent Contributor

Re: Question for those who use Clairol Natural Instincts?

Hi,

I been using Nat Inst for years, I have never used permanent color. My hair is also dark brown. When I was a bit gray it covered my grays beautifully. The color lasted a bit over 4 weeks - I never used shampoo every day (now I use Wen which helps the color last a bit longer). However, now I am more gray, NI still colors but it looks more like highlights on my grays in certain areas rather than brown hair. I happen to like the look so I keep using it. I am so not wanting to go permanent with hair color and am resisting resisting resisting. I have had no ill effects (damage, dryness, etc.) from using NI. The same hair issues I had before I still have. HTH.

Honored Contributor

It's 1-3% peroxide in the developer depending on formula. It works like permanent on my hair. It doesn't rinse out. I'm more than 50% gray and use the brown black color. I only color the roots and don't run color through the ends. Over time, especially if you have longer hair running color through the ends will accumulate damage.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Super Contributor

On 1/17/2014 bklyngrl said:

Hi,

I been using Nat Inst for years, I have never used permanent color. My hair is also dark brown. When I was a bit gray it covered my grays beautifully. The color lasted a bit over 4 weeks - I never used shampoo every day (now I use Wen which helps the color last a bit longer). However, now I am more gray, NI still colors but it looks more like highlights on my grays in certain areas rather than brown hair. I happen to like the look so I keep using it. I am so not wanting to go permanent with hair color and am resisting resisting resisting. I have had no ill effects (damage, dryness, etc.) from using NI. The same hair issues I had before I still have. HTH.

Thankyou, you've been very helpful. Do you use a med. brown or a true dk. brown with NI?

Super Contributor

On 1/17/2014 jaxs mom said:

It's 1-3% peroxide in the developer depending on formula. It works like permanent on my hair. It doesn't rinse out. I'm more than 50% gray and use the brown black color. I only color the roots and don't run color through the ends. Over time, especially if you have longer hair running color through the ends will accumulate damage.

I hope it works as well for me as it does for you. Where do you purchase yours? I am wondering if I should get a shade lighter?

Honored Contributor

It's sold pretty much everywhere that hair color is sold. Drug stores, Target ect. Since you're already coloring your hair I'd stick with as close to the color you have now.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

It covers just s well. I hve used both nd received lots of compliments for shine nd color using Instincts. Grey will grow out t the sme time no mtter wht you use. My computer is giving me problems with certin letters. Sorry.

kindness is strength
Contributor

I love it, I only have a few greys. It is not harsh at all & you can experiment with the colors. My hair is naturally very dk brown, I like to use Natural Instints in the more medium, chocolately colors. Have Fun. No Worries. I do not ever want permanant dye and like one of the posters said your lighter or grey hairs just look like highlights

Contributor

I've been using this Natural Instincts for years too. I have like a medium brown hair color, and I had been using Spiced Cider (13B) for years, but last year or so they stopped making that color. I started using Toasted Almond (12B I think) and it is pretty much the same color. Just recently I picked up Navajo Bronze by accident and I really like that one too. I've got a couple Toasted Almonds left but once those are gone I'm switching to Navajo Bronze. I have red highlights, and this just makes them look better.

Super Contributor

On 1/17/2014 KatCat1 said:

It covers just s well. I hve used both nd received lots of compliments for shine nd color using Instincts. Grey will grow out t the sme time no mtter wht you use. My computer is giving me problems with certin letters. Sorry.

I remember you recommending this product to me last year but I wasn't sure if it covered gray well. My hair grows so fast that I want coverage & want less chemicals. I do want to try it Kat but since my hair is DK.Brown, (my natural was black) I wonder if I should use the med. brown instead of the Dark Brown? Don't be sorry, I read you wellSmiley Happy