Fall Fashion Clearance
50 Members and 15555 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Marula Oil and clogged pores

Started 1389899899.697 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1390522450.98 by Rochester Shopper

I have been using The Leakey Collection Marula oil for several months and started getting clogged pores, which I never get. So, I stated using the Foreo Luna Mini cleaner for a few weeks. The Luna gave some results. Then I stopped using the Marula oil, and after a week without Marula and using my Luna, I noticed my clogged pores were back to normal. I realized that I just can't use Marula oil on my face. {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Anyone else find they have problems with Marula Oil clogging pores?

~Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle.~
~My Grandma's motto: Is it nice, is it true, would you like it said of you?~

Page 1 of 1
MarenSeatt­le1389900025.3734021 PostsRegistered 10/19/2013
I read somewhere that some long-time oil use can lead to clogged pores. But of course, not for everybody! Don't know if it's the type of oil or ALL oil for these individuals. Just happy you're back to normal! :-)

ForTheLuv1389900879.107641 PostsRegistered 10/3/2013

Oils in general can be VERY pore-clogging for many people. It is highly debatable by those who love them, but the fact remains that there is a REASON that so many companies make OIL-FREE products.....because some people CANNOT USE THEM.v

ChynnaBlue1389903074.354744 PostsRegistered 5/22/2012

I haven't tried Marula oil outside of a tester in the store, which I didn't use on my face. I use a variety of oils and coconut oil is the only one that's clogged my mores. Thanks for the alert about Marula oil. I was planning on getting some in the future and will make a note to get a sample size, first.

HappyDaze1389903628.30315472 PostsRegistered 6/13/2012
I was wondering what you mean by "clogged pores"? Do mean pimples, blackheads, whiteheads or something else?

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...but becomes something entirely different when someone STEALS your ideas and claims the credit for themselves.

“Only those with no memory insist on their originality.” -Coco Chanel

BellaCarro1389903846.2637861 PostsRegistered 10/1/2011Atlanta

Wouldn't regular use of BHA keep pores from clogging? HD, don't you do that? I know you love your oils!

RS - are you enjoying the Luna?

HappyDaze1389904067.50715472 PostsRegistered 6/13/2012

Bella, yes, I use paula's choice BHA lotion every morning. I have not had any issues with any of the oils I use regularly causing any issues like pimples, blackheads or whiteheads but I have never really had those issues before anyway.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...but becomes something entirely different when someone STEALS your ideas and claims the credit for themselves.

Rochester ­Shopper1389912806.914922 PostsRegistered 7/20/2011Michigan
On 1/16/2014 HappyDaze said: I was wondering what you mean by "clogged pores"? Do mean pimples, blackheads, whiteheads or something else?

more like blackheads that aren't black. They make my pores look bigger, too.

Rochester ­Shopper1389912917.3034922 PostsRegistered 7/20/2011Michigan
On 1/16/2014 BellaCarro said:

Wouldn't regular use of BHA keep pores from clogging? HD, don't you do that? I know you love your oils!

RS - are you enjoying the Luna?

Bella, Yes, I am very much. I have the mini. I tried the Clarisonic, even with the most sensitive brush, and it was just too harsh for me. I can use the Luna as much as I want with no irritation or stinging afterwards! Very gentle, and cleans as well or better than Clarisonic. No brush heads to buy. You just dry it with a towel, and very portable.

Rochester ­Shopper1389913035.8234922 PostsRegistered 7/20/2011Michigan
On 1/16/2014 ChynnaBlue said:

I haven't tried Marula oil outside of a tester in the store, which I didn't use on my face. I use a variety of oils and coconut oil is the only one that's clogged my mores. Thanks for the alert about Marula oil. I was planning on getting some in the future and will make a note to get a sample size, first.

I have not had any problems with argan oil or rose hips oil at all.

KatCat11389913614.24716777 PostsRegistered 7/21/2011

The Maruia oil by Acure Orgnics is wonderful. Non greasy, no scent, absorbs quickly. Love it. Maybe your skin doesn't like Marula oil.

suzyQ31389920628.1924452 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007

Rochester Shopper, I'm pretty sure that your Leakey marula oil is not just marula oil but has some other ingredients in it.

I use pure marula from Shea Terra Organics without any problems. But of course, we're all different.

suzyQ31389920727.09324452 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007

Yup:

ingredients for Marula The Leakey Collection Omega Rich Pure Marula Oil

HappyDaze1389922127.09315472 PostsRegistered 6/13/2012

oh yikes, I'd be having all kinds of issues with some of those ingredients in that supposed marula oil! My face would look like it was on fire if I used it. {#emotions_dlg.scared}

OP, try 100% marula oil as many of the ingredients in the one you were using could have caused any number of issues.

Rochester ­Shopper1389931107.8334922 PostsRegistered 7/20/2011Michigan

OMG, I thought I was using 100% marula oil! Thanks HappyDaze and SuzyQ3!

suzyQ31389981899.3724452 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007
On 1/16/2014 Rochester Shopper said:

Oh, I'm so glad that information helped, Rochester Shopper. Sometimes you never know. Wink

The reason I remembered that the Leakey oil had other stuff in it was that I had come across it a couple months ago when "researching" marula oil. I think a reviewer on Amazon mentioned it. I thought it was so strange.

And the price I saw was even stranger. {#emotions_dlg.scared}

HappyDaze1389982066.67315472 PostsRegistered 6/13/2012

You are welcome RS but it was Suzy that caught that. :) I was as shocked as you about it containing all those other ingredients! I was just surprised you had issues with clogged pores because several of my friends use it too (some are oily and some are drier like me) and none of us have had any issues with it. Doesn't mean it can't happen, of course. :)

Suzy, I've seen this brand before but never looked further into it because of the price but I was always under the assumption it was PURE argan oil too, like RS! I had no idea it contained all that other stuff. Ya learn something new every day!

Last edited on 1/17/2014

Rochester ­Shopper1389982203.3934922 PostsRegistered 7/20/2011Michigan
On 1/17/2014 suzyQ3 said:

Oh, I'm so glad that information helped, Rochester Shopper. Sometimes you never know. Wink

The reason I remembered that the Leakey oil had other stuff in it was that I had come across it a couple months ago when "researching" marula oil. I think a reviewer on Amazon mentioned it. I thought it was so strange.

And the price I saw was even stranger. {#emotions_dlg.scared}

The price was up there! I think I got it on HSN, and I never would have gotten it if I thought it wasn't 100% marula. They probably said 100% "pure" marula, and I took that as 100% marula. *grumble grumble*

ForTheLuv1389990869.387641 PostsRegistered 10/3/2013
On 1/16/2014 HappyDaze said:

Bella, yes, I use paula's choice BHA lotion every morning. I have not had any issues with any of the oils I use regularly causing any issues like pimples, blackheads or whiteheads but I have never really had those issues before anyway.

This is the key point!!! For people that have problem skin, oils can be disastrous. They can be good too. The point is that it CAN and DOES affect some people negatively.

NO....bha is not going to "prevent" pores from clogging in all people. Yes it helps, but if a product is going to break you out, BHA can only help clean out the pores afterward. It does not prevent breakouts caused by other product use.

ForTheLuv1389990992.727641 PostsRegistered 10/3/2013

That is what you get for not reading ingredient decks and thinking just because you spend too much money it is going to be BETTER and "pure". LOL...

Last edited on 1/17/2014

Rochester ­Shopper1389992054.524922 PostsRegistered 7/20/2011Michigan
On 1/17/2014 ForTheLuv said:

That is what you get for not reading ingredient decks and thinking just because you spend too much money it is going to be BETTER and "pure". LOL...

I agree, my mistake. The on-air presentation sure made me think I was getting 100% marula oil, and there was no ingredient listing on the website. However, I don't think it was necessary to be rude and say, "That's what you get...". Also, I never said I thought it was better because it was more expensive. {#emotions_dlg.blink}

Last edited on 1/17/2014

Carp80m1390487140.581 PostsRegistered 1/22/2014
Marula is -as published on the ingredient label-- pure Marula oil -- 99% oil --with a 1% blend of essential oils that have complimentary qualities for skin care plus add a subtle scent. It may be that this causes irritation for some, but I love the stuff! It appears the blemish reaction you experienced could come from skin reacting to one or more of the essential oils... Was it clogged pores or irritation? Glad you found a product that works for you. Also, it might help to use a gentle scrub as pores can get clogged by dead skin or a variety of other debris.

suzyQ31390498638.0624452 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007
On 1/23/2014 Carp80m said: Marula is -as published on the ingredient label-- pure Marula oil -- 99% oil --with a 1% blend of essential oils that have complimentary qualities for skin care plus add a subtle scent. It may be that this causes irritation for some, but I love the stuff! It appears the blemish reaction you experienced could come from skin reacting to one or more of the essential oils... Was it clogged pores or irritation? Glad you found a product that works for you. Also, it might help to use a gentle scrub as pores can get clogged by dead skin or a variety of other debris.

Personally, I think the inclusion of all those fragrant oils is not complementary to the marula oil itself. I think they are not only not necessary but are known irritants. As for the scent, I don't see any need for that either. I just sprayed a drop of my 100 percent pure marula oil onto my hand to test the smell. I really can't detect a scent.

My Shea Terra Organics virgin Marula oil costs $18 for two ounces in an amber bottle with a pump. The Leakey oil costs $78 for 1.67 ounces. Seems as if you're paying quite a bit for those unnecessary additions.

Rochester ­Shopper1390522450.984922 PostsRegistered 7/20/2011Michigan
On 1/23/2014 Carp80m said: Marula is -as published on the ingredient label-- pure Marula oil -- 99% oil --with a 1% blend of essential oils that have complimentary qualities for skin care plus add a subtle scent. It may be that this causes irritation for some, but I love the stuff! It appears the blemish reaction you experienced could come from skin reacting to one or more of the essential oils... Was it clogged pores or irritation? Glad you found a product that works for you. Also, it might help to use a gentle scrub as pores can get clogged by dead skin or a variety of other debris.

Hi Carp80m, I did not have any irritation, just clogged pores.

Page 1 of 1