Respected Contributor

Determined mom's home bound and just can't get her to the beauty shop for her perm...

so..............................

here I am, ready to do this.

Went to Sally's got the perm for grey hair (very limited as to what I could buy since I'm not a professional), papers and rods.

So.....now what? Wash and dry first? Step by step help would be appreciated.

I'm also going to trim the ends, maybe actually do a cut (bought good scissors so that's not an issue)

Wish I could of found a professional that would of come to her home.

Super Contributor

Bless you! Just reading your post brought back memories of my mother giving me home perms - the smell was something dreadful and then those awful poodle curls (although I think perms have improved since way back in the dark ages). Anyway, I looked around online and found this for you, the explanation and directions seem quite comprehensive and easy to follow. Good luck!

http://www.healthguidance.org/entry/14583/1/How-to-Give-a-Home-Perm.html

Honored Contributor

I jumped into coloring my hair at home with both feet and never looked back. However, I just got a perm today and was thinking I would never try and to that myself.

They did wash me prior to rolling. It was probably some sort of clarifying shampoo since I had to let it sit on my head for 5 minutes before they scrubbed and rinsed. But they did not dry. They rolled me wet. After that I am no help as they used a "special" perm on me. The stylist had to give her helper special instructions from what she was accustomed to because there is something different about the one she uses on me.

Respected Contributor

Wow...thank you so much for the help ( Cassiem & Icegoddess) ..it really does help when you know in the back of your mind you are doing the right thing, makes you a little more confident that heck, I can do this!

Super Contributor

I was all about the (poodle) perm when I was in high school, back in the '80's. Even now I can recall the odor of the perm chemicals!{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Was Yuban, then changed to Plaid Pants due to forum upgrade, and apparently, I'm back to being Yuban.
Super Contributor

I used to perm my own hair frequently.

Wash the hair, and roll it wet. If her hair is particularly thin or short, you might want to re-wet with water before you start putting solution on it. And by re-wet, I mean use an empty spray bottle and spritz the rollers. This helps the perm solution distribute itself evenly.

Follow the timing of each step as included on the instructions (I assume you got in the box).

Avoid washing, blow drying or using any other heat device for at least one day (2 would be better).

You are a good daughter. I hope you two have some fun today.

Michele

Honored Contributor

Back in the 80's I gave my sister many perms. She had long hair so I had to piggy back the rollers. Be sure not to put too much hair in the curlers. Also be careful to wrap the ends, otherwise you will end up with frizz. If you are not adept at rolling curlers, practice! I am a child of the 60's so hair rollers are not foreign to me.

Good luck. (if you have never done this, it can be overwhelming)

Honored Contributor

I can only think of them as child abuse. From my childhood.

Regular Contributor
Good advice here. Keep her hair wet as mentioned as it will start to dry. Protect her face and skin from the solution at all times. Before you use the solution spread a layer of Vaseline all around the edge of the hair line then use the long cotton ball like strips to lay over the Vaseline and press. Have her hold a hand towel over her face during application. Redo the Vaseline step before using the neutralizer. You may need to trim some frizzy ends off. It should be fine, just take your time.
Respected Contributor

oh my gosh ladies...I'm going to be a pro..........................(not!)

I wash and set her hair once a week so rolling isn't an issue. I did read about keeping the hair wet, will have to get a spray bottle and I think I'm going to need a roll of cotton for around the face, forgot about that. I think I have Vaseline too so I need to put that all together and best advice, read the directions.

It was so easy when she could walk to the car, get her in and walk into the salon, now due to just slowing down that's not possible anymore (just need to accept that). That's the worse part of getting old, just seeing the "stages" of age, first you're so mobile then something just "stops" you and lately it's getting more and more with mom. Oh well, guess I'm happy I can do all these things for her. When she was in a rehab facility years ago, there were people in there without any family presence, that must be hard on them. The one lady had a son but he lived in another state and just came to visit only 2x a year, he was wealthy enough that he paid for her permanent stay but I think having someone come and visit and do things is good.

Probably Saturday I'm looking at but I'll let you know how it turns out.

Perm..... check, rods.... check, papers.... check need cotton and vaseline