Valued Contributor

Ok beauties, who's starting a Healthy Eating program 2014 and what are you stocking up on?

We had a Healthy Eating group a few years ago that ran for a year. I thought I would start a new thread to see if anyone is interested in doing it again in 2014. It was great to read about what each others challenges were, and how we were going to improve our eating choices.

I need to get back on track and get healthy again after the holidays. I am just recovering from emergency gallbladder surgery and my frig is empty. I'm on a bland diet for a little while but hope to be eating healthy and nutritious foods soon.

What do you think beauties?

Super Contributor

Re: Ok beauties, who's starting a Healthy Eating program 2014 and what are you stocking up on?

Is it possible to "stock up" on healthy, raw foods?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ok beauties, who's starting a Healthy Eating program 2014 and what are you stocking up on?

On 1/8/2014 ennui1 said:

Is it possible to "stock up" on healthy, raw foods?

Yes, week to week. Smiley Happy

I'm not starting, I'm continuing.

CaChica, I'm glad you came through your surgery!

For me, I just get what I like. Good thing my favorite food is lettuce, so I make sure I get dark leafy greens enough for the whole week...then some kind of protein (grilled chick or hard-boiled eggs or legume). Walnuts, almonds & blueberries for breakfast, and I like a hard cheese for a late snack (or supper.) More dark chocolate, lots of green tea. Bread dipped in EVOO & spice of life once a week, pasta & lots of sauce once a week.

If I can cut down on sugary-laden desserts....! But Wegman's bakery is pretty good, if you consider this a downfall.

Honored Contributor

For me, it is eating more fresh vegetables and fruits. Staying away from junk food and the weight just melts away.

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

Thanks so much for starting this thread. I have had several day 1's so far, but I am trying to commit to the Mediterranean Diet as a lifestyle diet. My doctor recommended it years ago. I don't have a lot of weight to lose, but I am not as active as I should be, and I need to make life changes. I do not want to be on a 'diet'. Thanks for your motivation for today. I try to make green smoothies to get my veggies. Good luck to everyone struggling with this.

Super Contributor

Healthy eating and exercise are my number one goals for this year. I wanted to lose 10 pounds. So far I have lost 1.5. Like others have said, stocking up on greens and protein foods for the week is most important. I also keep a few Lean Cuisine entrees on hand for times when I'm in a hurry and don't have time to cook.

My biggest downfall is sweets. I also had emergency gallbladder surgery 10 years ago and never had a single problem afterward. I never had any dietary restrictions afterward.

Super Contributor

OK, I too am trying to get back to healthier eating and lifestyle.

I joined WW 5 years ago and lost 35 lbs. Kept it off for 4 years, and last year I put 25 lbs. of it back on. Just started back this week to my healthier eating, and I really feel better already ( I know it has only been a few days, but I do feel better!)

I appreciate you starting this thread, and look forward to hearing from everyone.

Have a wonderful day,

Janie

Honored Contributor

Veggies (fresh and frozen), fruit- berries, green apples, grapefruit, eggs/egg whites, unsalted mixed nuts, olive oil, hibiscus tea. About 65 pounds lost about 35 to go. Very happy that I had started months before New Year!
Trusted Contributor

Because I am a sugar-addict and I fell off the wagon during the holidays, (consequently gained 7 lbs!), I am returning to my South Beach diet. Have been a Weight Watchers in years past, having reached life goal 3 times but the constant tracking and keeping track of points frustrates me. SB is much more suited to me. Other than watching the sugars, which is a constant battle no matter what, this is easy. I follow a wonderful blog by Kalyn's Kitchen where she posts a daily recipe, all of them really good. I had bypass surgery 3 years ago and this is the diet that my cardiologist recommended.

Honored Contributor

I believe this thread is a great idea and I'm sure it will be helpful. Thanks for thinking of us! As for me, I always mean to get back to yogurt but I can't stick with it.

In nursing school I did an extensive research project for a Nutrition class and taste-tested just about every yogurt on the store shelves. What an eye-opener. Yogurt is simply milk "gone bad." So why do companies have to load up a 6-ounce cup with high fructose corn syrup and a dozen other ingredients?

There's a lot of inferior yogurt on the market, ladies, so read your labels. My plan is to just break down and make my own. At some point. In 2014. {#emotions_dlg.blushing}

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~