Super Contributor

Book on essential oils? New Coconut oil?

One of my favorite xmas presents was a book " The Complete Book of Essential oils and Aromatherapy" which I will start reading tonight. I do think its so important to do our own research because we all have different skin needs & some of these oils can be harmful if not used correctly. Have any of you beauties read this book? or reco any other book of that nature? I am gradually weaning off skin products that are not natural & learning more of organic natural products & their benefits. I do use a few carrier oils, almond, jojoba & avacado. I do have JM's argan oil.

I have done some research on a New coconut oil that is a bit more expensive that the Virgin oil I do use. It's "Tropical Traditions Gold Label" and I like the fact that the coconuts are hand pick daily made by a family of coconut famers in the Philippines. It claims to be of the highest quality of coconut oil on the market also having the highest levels of antioxadants. I do love it for a hair serum, oil treament for the scalp, taking of makeup. a light skin moisturizer etc. so many uses as most of you know. Do any of you use this brand?

Wishing you all a happy & healthy New YearSmiley Happy

Super Contributor

Re: Book on essential oils? New Coconut oil?

That sounds like an interesting book. We are all going to have to educate ourselves as essential oils become more popular. I was surprised to be approached by a lady who was a distributor for a multi-level company that sells essential oils. Looking at the information she gave me and at their website, there was so much mis-information and "blurring" of important information - like how different carrier oils lead to different results that people could actually do more harm than good using their product. They were selling fractionated coconut oil as their carrier oil - which has the majority of the benficial components of coconut oil removed - saying that this was the "highest quality" carrier oil.

Mainstream cosmetics are adding "essential oils" that are either in such tiny amounts or are processed to the point nothing beneficial is left and even my local Wal Mart has a small selection of essential oils, which I am sure are so highly processed and diluted they are nothing but a fragrance.

Super Contributor

On 1/3/2014 okiebug said:

That sounds like an interesting book. We are all going to have to educate ourselves as essential oils become more popular. I was surprised to be approached by a lady who was a distributor for a multi-level company that sells essential oils. Looking at the information she gave me and at their website, there was so much mis-information and "blurring" of important information - like how different carrier oils lead to different results that people could actually do more harm than good using their product. They were selling fractionated coconut oil as their carrier oil - which has the majority of the benficial components of coconut oil removed - saying that this was the "highest quality" carrier oil.

Mainstream cosmetics are adding "essential oils" that are either in such tiny amounts or are processed to the point nothing beneficial is left and even my local Wal Mart has a small selection of essential oils, which I am sure are so highly processed and diluted they are nothing but a fragrance.

Yes, I completely agree with you as well as mis-informed important information. Well said! Tropical Traditions.com is a informative website, I am sure you'll enjoy.

Super Contributor

I think Tropical Traditions offers exceptional products -- and the site is very informative and educational about the differences in coconut oils.
Super Contributor

On 1/3/2014 MarenSeattle said: I think Tropical Traditions offers exceptional products -- and the site is very informative and educational about the differences in coconut oils.

Yes, its a very informative sight as I can compare it to the way JM's Argan Oil is made & processed. I would like to try their Gold Label Hair Oil, face creams, etc. What products do you use from TT MarenSeattle.

Regular Contributor

Just to add, if you need high quality essential oils, the Tisserand brand is the best! Have been using them for over fifteen years. Your book sounds great! I'll have to look it up on Amazon! Thanks for sharing!
Super Contributor

On 1/3/2014 HomebodyinMichigan said: Just to add, if you need high quality essential oils, the Tisserand brand is the best! Have been using them for over fifteen years. Your book sounds great! I'll have to look it up on Amazon! Thanks for sharing!

Your Welcome HomebodyinMichigan. Thanks for the reco on your brand of essential oils & using a brand for 15 yrs. says alot. You know, I had dinner late & I haven't had the chance to start reading it.

Their are so many books on oils & I am also interested as far back as Cleopatra & the history of many beauties who used only oils & fresh aloe from the juice of plants etc. on their facial skin & body & their concoctions for the scented oils they used for their baths which were also theraputic that affected their state of mind & well being, as which each oil gave them a different reaction which I find amazing. Def. going to be a future project of mine.

I also enjoy burning incense & my favorite is Jazmine.

Frequent Contributor

So cool to read this post. I just bought some lotion from Tropical Traditions because the lotion had the oil already incorporated and seemed to be "good stuff." And to top it off, they have a lotion that is unscented! That is really hard to find.

My little one has eczema and I've been experimenting with different lotions and oils for her and stumbled on this site. I thought I would give it a try. If it doesn't work for her, I'll use it as my skin is always dry!

My lotion has been shipped so I can't wait to get it.

In addition, I was getting my hair cut yesterday and my stylist's sister was talking to me about oils. She gave a website to look at (www.everythingessestial.me) and talked to me about using oils for various health issues. I noticed the book you mentioned was listed on that website.

Keep us posted what you learned and think of the book!

Respected Contributor

What a great gift you rec'd, kabella. Someone is very thoughtful and takes the time to notice your interests. Lucky lady. Enjoy your book. I, too, look forward to learning more about oils this year.

Super Contributor

On 1/3/2014 c j said:

So cool to read this post. I just bought some lotion from Tropical Traditions because the lotion had the oil already incorporated and seemed to be "good stuff." And to top it off, they have a lotion that is unscented! That is really hard to find.

My little one has eczema and I've been experimenting with different lotions and oils for her and stumbled on this site. I thought I would give it a try. If it doesn't work for her, I'll use it as my skin is always dry!

My lotion has been shipped so I can't wait to get it.

In addition, I was getting my hair cut yesterday and my stylist's sister was talking to me about oils. She gave a website to look at (www.everythingessestial.me) and talked to me about using oils for various health issues. I noticed the book you mentioned was listed on that website.

Keep us posted what you learned and think of the book!