Respected Contributor

When these are applied by/to the models, I can definitely see white demarcation. I realize that the lights are bright in the studio, but my question is: are these powders as obvious in person as on TV?

I'm a gal of a certain age and would not wear any, just curious as to how they transpose from bright to natural lighting.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Esteemed Contributor

The trick to illuminate without the demarcation is to use a clean and softer brush, and a light hand w/ the powder. It's suppose to catch the light, not create the light! Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

I think it depends which powder you're using. There are some for highlighting that are very 'white' looking and stay that way unless you blend them really well...And there are other 'illuminating' powders that are just nicely brightening to the skin. Guerlain's Les Meteorites is one illuminating powder that is brightening but doesn't turn white or look obvious.

Just my opinion, but some of the HD (high definition) brigteners/lighteners are just horrible in 'real' life situations... Some of those powders make your skin mirror shiny, and their regular powders for toning down shine look incredibly flat and matte. Sometimes what's good for being on TV doesn't work so well in real life.

Trusted Contributor

I happened to be looking through the IT Cosmetics line up of products earlier and noticed their Hello Light Illuminating Powder with Radiance Brush. What prompted me to check it out further was the # of reviews and the high rating ........ 4.4 rating with 73 reviews. For any cosmetic, that's a pretty darn high rating based on that number of reviews.

Seems many like how well it illuminates without all the negatives associated with many. It is a hydrating formula which many mentioned was a real plus. It is also not a white powder (one reviewer was concerned about how dark it appeared in the compact before she tried it and it wasn't dark at all)

Have to say I was intrigued with all the positive comments enough to maybe give it a try myself. Seems some used it just solo over primer while the majority used it over their foundation. No shimmer was mentioned a lot too .......... just a nice glow.

You might want to check it out and read some of the reviews. It definitely has more positive feedback than just about any other illuminating product I've come across (though Ambient Lighting sold at Sephora gets many positives too but believe that does have some shimmer ........... not 100% sure as it's been awhile since I've read any reviews there)

Honored Contributor
I agree with chickenmoo, it really depends on the powder. You may want to look at some that don't start off white or come in darker colors. Hourglass, Becca and MAC all make good ones. You may also want to look into liquids or other options. You can use a liquid under your foundation, mix it into your foundation, or apply it over your foundation. Cream highlighters are harder to mix into a foundation, but you can apply them under or over foundation. MAC makes some called Cream Color Base and they come in a few colors. I'm very fair and my new favorite is Burberry Fresh Glow primer. It's subtle and I can use it under a sheer foundation or mixed into a foundation. If I want some extra glow on a cheek or brow bone, I can add some over my foundation.
Honored Contributor

At my age I'm not looking for shimmer or glitter, but I tried a new Apricot Illuminating Finishing Powder this morning and I think I like it. It just gave the slightest luster. It's not something I'd wear on a daily basis, but nice to have the option. I think the brush used in application makes a difference, too. I used the IT Micro-Angled Complexion Brush.

Frequent Contributor
On 1/2/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:

At my age I'm not looking for shimmer or glitter, but I tried a new Apricot Illuminating Finishing Powder this morning and I think I like it. It just gave the slightest luster. It's not something I'd wear on a daily basis, but nice to have the option. I think the brush used in application makes a difference, too. I used the IT Micro-Angled Complexion Brush.

Who makes the Apricot Illuminating Powder?

Thanks

Honored Contributor
On 1/2/2014 my3britts said:
On 1/2/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:

Who makes the Apricot Illuminating Powder?

Thanks

It's a private label called Southern Magnolia Minerals.

Esteemed Contributor
Is there an ingredient to avoid if you want to be camera ready? I've seen some red carpet moments where the cameras photographed lots of illumination smears that apparently weren't visible to the naked eye. I wonder if that's an issue with application or ingredients in the powder.
Super Contributor
On 1/2/2014 wackers said:

I happened to be looking through the IT Cosmetics line up of products earlier and noticed their Hello Light Illuminating Powder with Radiance Brush. What prompted me to check it out further was the # of reviews and the high rating ........ 4.4 rating with 73 reviews. For any cosmetic, that's a pretty darn high rating based on that number of reviews.

Seems many like how well it illuminates without all the negatives associated with many. It is a hydrating formula which many mentioned was a real plus. It is also not a white powder (one reviewer was concerned about how dark it appeared in the compact before she tried it and it wasn't dark at all)

Have to say I was intrigued with all the positive comments enough to maybe give it a try myself. Seems some used it just solo over primer while the majority used it over their foundation. No shimmer was mentioned a lot too .......... just a nice glow.

You might want to check it out and read some of the reviews. It definitely has more positive feedback than just about any other illuminating product I've come across (though Ambient Lighting sold at Sephora gets many positives too but believe that does have some shimmer ........... not 100% sure as it's been awhile since I've read any reviews there)

Thanks for this! I've gotten too many products that claim "not frost! not metallic!" but when I get it, hello frost, hello metallic. The only thing I've ever found that really just imparts a glow and not a shimmer is Touche Eclat in the Radiance shade.