Regular Contributor

o/t:dealing with a broken heart that didn't heal......

I usually don't ask for advice or comments on personal matters-but here goes...

Many years ago when I was in my early twenties I dated someone who "broke my heart." I think of the hurt often and especially at Christmas. We always spent Christmas Eve together exchanging gifts. This hurt literally happened thirty years ago! I am now happily married (and I mean have no regrets!). I love my husband and would not trade my life today for anything. I also know that he is married with children and I am very happy for him. But, I just can't understand why I still think of him and feel that same hurt in my heart this time of year. It was especially hurtful because I never understood why he would want to hurt a girl that truly cared for him-( I won't use the word love because I think I was too young to know what love was-the kind of love I have for my husband today.) I have not spoken with him since he hurt me and often to this day want to contact him to ask why? I would not contact him though because I wouldn't want him to take it the wrong way - believe me I am happily married. It is not about the "romance" it is about the hurt!

Don't know if anyone has a similar experience or can give me advice to resolve these feelings of hurt and the wondering why?