Trusted Contributor

OT Target credit card breach - what are you doing?

I'm wondering what you all who may have shopped at Target are doing now after the information was released that there was a major credit card breach? It sounds like Target is trying to tell people just to watch their card statement and activity then react if/when something bad happens?

I personally shopped at Target 3 times with my debit card during the time information was stolen. Since it's my debit card, i'm really leaning towards calling my bank asking for new card. I fear the day I wake up and my account is drained. It sounds like debit cards don't have as much protection as a regular credit card.

If you shopped at Target, what are you doing? Going with the flow wait and see? Or taking active approach cancelling card etc?

Super Contributor

Re: OT Target credit card breach - what are you doing?

Thanks so much VaBelle35,

The Q did have this on think yesterday?? I am thinking of getting it for my husband.. Being there is a set of 2 offered I can also use it..

Did read many reviews and seems to work pretty well for some who had some experience using it.

For the price will get it..

Peace of mind is always needed.

Just for my grocery shopping and a couple of other stores in my area..

I only go to shopping malls a few times a year.. Live about 30 to 40 miles to my nearest big shopping mall and some other stores.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

lovestodance

Valued Contributor

My debit card was used several times across country -- with the pin #. My bank alerted me to the problem. I usually check my account every couple of days, but this all occurred on a day I didn't check. The bank immediately closed the account and issued a new card. I have only shopped at Target twice since than and I am only using cash. How sad we have to worry about all the security concerns these days.....

Valued Contributor

On 12/22/2013 terrier2 said:
On 12/22/2013 txskies said:

Some of the banks are sending new cards to their customers who have shopped at Target during the security breach dates. In the meanwhile, they are limiting the amount that customers can charge/or draw from their current cards.

Many think this is an inside job within the Target organization. When you apply for the Target red card, they have your bank account information, etc. in their database. Easy for someone within Target to sell info to identify theft rings.

I read today that they think it may well have been an inside job.

Oh no, I hadn't heard that....guess it could happen within any company or organization.....

Honored Contributor

On 12/22/2013 006900 said:
On 12/22/2013 VaBelle35 said:
On 12/22/2013 lovestodance said:

A thought came to me.. Wondering if the wallet security card that Qvc sells would work to prevent any hacker from obtaining any personal information?

Was thinking of getting it some time ago... I don't frequent shopping malls very often..

You never can be too careful these days...

Hate going to stores during Holiday season....

Would appreciate anyone that has this security protection care reply?

Thanks,lovestodance

That wouldn't help in this instance because the hacking was at the little terminal where you swipe your card. This is why Barnes & Noble no longer has the swipey things. You have to hand the card to the cashier now.

That was the most recent one for me (also required a new card). I knew there was one after TJ Maxx.

no those wallet protectors are only for holding ur credit cards in ur wallet.. won't do any good if they steal ur identity when ur swipping it...

But I notice they are using this situation as a selling tactic to add to the scare factor.

Turned me off of the product.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

My friend's son had shopped at Target. His bank called him just a couple days ago and said that someone had tried to charge to his debit card at a gas station and it was denied. Then they shopped at Walmart and it went through. The denied credit at the gas station is what caught the banks attention. Both of these charges were in a different state. He could prove he didn't make the charges since he'd made charges the same day in his home town/state.

Since this was his debit card, the money actually went out of his account. They told him he had to fill out a form and the money would be refunded in one to two weeks.

My question is....with just a number, how could they try to charge gas and use it at walmart?

Wouldn't these stolen numbers without the actual cards only be good for internet purchases?

You can't go to walmart and say, "oh, I forgot my card, but here is the number". I don't understand it.

Not applicable

I got a new bank debit card just to be on the safe side

Respected Contributor

Target is not handling this well in my opinion. I used my Target debit card, the red card, during those dates, and even though my checking account had no erroneous charges I wanted to cancel the Target card just in case. It took me two weeks to get through on the correct phone line, during which time I had contacted the Target I had shopped at and no one could help me. They basically knew nothing. I called and called the number provided and just when I thought I was getting through a recorded line told me they couldn't take my call and then it went to a busy signal. But that not to worry they are taking steps to prevent any fraudulant charges.{#emotions_dlg.glare}{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Honored Contributor

I went to the ATM and changed my PIN. I'm on vacation, but I will go get a new card as soon as I get home. I also have daily texts sent to my phone to report my account balance and I send a text request to get a "real time" balance a few times a day to be sure on top of any strange activity. I do a lot of online shopping, so text messages to get my account balance have been an important part of my routine for years. I nearly switched to a credit union this year, but told them I wouldn't feel comfortable unless they started text alerts.
Respected Contributor

I called and canceled my debit card and had them reissue me a new one....also did the same with the credit card I used at Target during that time period......a few days after doing this I got an e-mail from my bank saying that they had identified all their customers who had used their debit cards at Target and were reissuing new cards to everyone......