TSV(R) Preview
124 Members and 12983 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

OT: Tracfone Samsung Galaxy?? Worth it if you rarely use data?? Service/reliability??

Started 1379782166.343 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1379953098.703 by sassy lassy

HSN is offering a Tracfone Samsung Galaxy with triple minute capabilities. I don't even own a smartphone yet, so I was wondering about upgrading me and my husband to this. We are currently on Verizon, but we went in to the store this morning and were so overwhelmed (or underwhelmed) by the negativity from the salesperson about different phones offered and plans that we finally left after he recommended to go online and check out things for ourselves. He kept talking about 3G phones are outdated...need to go to 4g...don't go with "free" phones because they are outdated....Androids are better than Iphone as far as apps but the Iphone is better for service...talked about all fees to upgrade ($30 per phone) then the prices of the phone. Then you need insurance, then this, then that...I felt like my head was about to explode!! My husband has been in sales for over 20 years (insurance) and said it was one of the worst presentations he had ever seen! He told us it didn't really matter to him what phone we chose; they didn't make anything on phones...he was there for the service. He talked down almost any other company I mentioned...especially the monthly type phone carriers (Boost, StraighTalk, etc.)

Anyway, I'm so confused. But I saw the Tracfone being offered and wondered how it was for durability, holding up, service coverage, reliability, overall costs, etc. We mainly want to talk and text with limited data. We won't be viewing movies or using Facebook or looking at music videos on our phone...we can do all that at home.

I just don't want to get a Tracfone and find out that I'm spending more for buying cards (even though this phone will triple that) because I use my phone to talk more than others.

What has been your experience with Tracfones with Smartphone capabilities? THANK YOU!!

Page 1 of 2
Venezia1379782646.2972633 PostsRegistered 4/10/2007

As far as I know, this is the first Tracfone that is a genuine smartphone.

My DH and I have had nothing but Tracfones for the past 13 years and we've always been very happy with them (currently have the LG840g), but then we don't use them for much other than talking and texting and we don't use a lot of minutes each month. For us, they're a perfect phone.

We do have 3G on the LG840g and can use a wireless connection for no charge, but we never bother.

If you do a lot on the Internet, perhaps someone else could give you an idea of how this phone would work for you. (To be honest, even though I love my current phone, I did toy with the idea of getting the HSN TS as a second phone, just to have a smartphone!)

crush1379784573.5731972 PostsRegistered 10/7/2005NC
On 9/21/2013 Venezia said:

As far as I know, this is the first Tracfone that is a genuine smartphone.

My DH and I have had nothing but Tracfones for the past 13 years and we've always been very happy with them (currently have the LG840g), but then we don't use them for much other than talking and texting and we don't use a lot of minutes each month. For us, they're a perfect phone.

We do have 3G on the LG840g and can use a wireless connection for no charge, but we never bother.

If you do a lot on the Internet, perhaps someone else could give you an idea of how this phone would work for you. (To be honest, even though I love my current phone, I did toy with the idea of getting the HSN TS as a second phone, just to have a smartphone!)

Thanks, Venezia...I have another question pertaining to something you mentioned. Since I'm coming out of the dark ages{#emotions_dlg.laugh}, I'll ask!! You mentioned you can access the web using a wireless connection. I wonder if that works with any Tracfone. If we were out and about and maybe were in a coffee shop that had wireless, could we access our phone to the Internet without using our data or minutes (even if we HAD data on the phone like the TS)?? If you could link up to something that was already there, I just wondered if it would still use YOUR data? It's all so confusing to me. I like technology, but I'm kind of old-fashioned...just pick up and the phone and call me. I like actually TALKING to people!! And I am not out and about so much that I'll be tied to my phone all day. My husband works from home so he is in front of a computer for most of the day, but his business had advised that a smartphone will help him to receive some information a lot faster than just through regular email. He uses our landline AND his cellphone depending on how information comes in. The question I posed would also be in effect for his usage at home. While he's on the computer, his cellphone could link up to our wireless at home.

Any information you could share would be helpful! My mind is swimming with all the information I'm trying to soak in. I've looked online for the past few days but obviously not enough to make an informed decision! Thank you.

quilter611379786994.6641 PostsRegistered 9/21/2006

I am also debating on whether to get this phone. I have had a Tracfone for a number of years and really like it. I watched the presentation and like that it has a microphone so you don't need to text, just speak into the phone. Regarding the wireless connection, I think they did say that you would not use minutes if you were in a wifi area.

I am also thinking of dropping my landline. I hardly get any calls on my landline. Only doctors leaving messages to remind me of an appointment.

10sluvr1379787830.4571938 PostsRegistered 12/17/2006

i have a lg840, from the q and i'm happy with it. i use 99% of the time, as a phone. i once in a while check my email and i text(brief ones). i would like to use for MP3 player, but i need one of my kids to teach me how to down load music, etc. i also use it as camara, small pics so i need to transfer. i will go look at the ts, as i would like a smartphone-but i would need the smarts to use.

cleogrl1379790245.873812 PostsRegistered 5/19/2006

I don't own a smartphone, but I have service w/ virginmobile. I switched from Sprint b/c of the taxes the big carriers charge. My last sprint bill was $39.99 (no texting) and then my bill would be $52.

I do know that if you plan to surf the internet w/ this Tracphone you will use your minutes unless you're say at McDonalds or Panera bread and can use free wi-fi. Companies like virgin & boost give unlimited texting & internet w/ their monthly plans (no contract).

Pook1379791965.1832921 PostsRegistered 5/5/2007

i have had nothing but tracphones and find that the service is exceptional. There are 2 carriers so there is coverage almost everywhere. Plus I can call anywhere in the US and most countries for the same amount of minutes deducted. It is so easy to add minutes. I don't use it much anyway. My LG800 can send voice texts so I never have to type anything. I've been waiting for one that can support apps but i think I'll wait for the next model to come out as it will probably be much better. This is a great value though. Can't see paying a high monthly fee when I don't use mine much anyway. I always have over a thousand minutes and just wish I could buy time only.

namaste0001379792035.653491 PostsRegistered 7/21/2006

this new tracfone comes with triple minutes, as well as triple texting and triple data for life! I have an older lg800g so no wifi here - but even so, my 1000+ minutes carried over from last year and now I have well over 2000 minutes - more than enough for my texting, inernet, and calls.

the new phone will use wifi whenever it detects it. So if you have wifi in your home, you will not use text or data minutes at home.

Last edited on 9/21/2013

Last edited on 9/21/2013

One of the secrets of a happy life is continuous small treats. -Iris Murdoch

punky48137980087276 PostsRegistered 4/29/2005

I wanted to get one of these new Galaxy phones from HSN. I have had trac phones for several years now, and they were LG. I put my zip code in to confirm that I would be able to get service for the Galaxy and it came up as a No Go. I called HSN who referred me off to the TracPhone place. I was transferred twice and the end result was that the towers were not available in my area, even though I am able to use my LG anywhere. So make sure that service is available in your zip code!!{#emotions_dlg.sad}

kaybee1379801698.198082 PostsRegistered 7/3/2006Wisconsin

I was all excited to get one of these for my son. We watched the midnight presentation and I was ready to place my order then found out it WASN'T available in our area. {#emotions_dlg.angry}

Apparently Verizon isn't available everywhere that Tracfone covers. Verizon must be the data carrier?

I had Vir gin Mobile's first smart phone a few years ago but the Sprint coverage was lousy in our area so I went back to our tracfones.

namaste0001379805398.047491 PostsRegistered 7/21/2006

ALERT! Just noticed after looking at it all day: the 600minutes, data, texts that come with this phone are only good for 90 days! If you want the usual year service, you will need to buy 400 additional minutes for around $99.

I am cancelling my order.

One of the secrets of a happy life is continuous small treats. -Iris Murdoch

happy hous­ewife1379805977.7927997 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007
I've had a Tracfone for about 5 years - since i quit working.I had a samsung slider phone for 3 years and loved it til it just died and was un fix able.I then got a Samsung smartphone from HSN I hated - the buttons were too small and it was very difficult to hear it. So i bought a LG 840G and I'm very happy with it. You can't beat tracfone for economy and my phone gets on the internet via wifi if available or the browser. I can text, take pics or check thing on the internet.

sassy lassy1379807483.68841 PostsRegistered 7/24/2008God's Country (Pacific NW)

Hi Everyone,

I 'm new to this... ( never had a Tracfone). want to get one and was all excited when I saw this offered at HSN, then realized you had to use everything in 90 days. I mainly need a phone for calling and texting , so would it better for me to get the LG 840 G ?

Guess I also am coming out of the Dark Ages ... LOL

Currently I have Verizon on my old flip phone thru my employer , they are phasing out the Employee Cell Phone Program..... I sure would like to stay with Verizon.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated . TIA

nutmeg31379807569.3574221 PostsRegistered 6/18/2007NJ

He kept talking about 3G phones are outdated...need to go to 4g...don't go with "free" phones because they are outdated....Androids are better than Iphone as far as apps but the Iphone is better for service...talked about all fees to upgrade ($30 per phone) then the prices of the phone.

The person in the store told you the correct thing. You do not drive a Model T Ford on a super highway. You pay too much money for Verizon service to use a 3G phone.

I got a nice deal in an email about a month ago about upgrading my basic cell phone to a smartphone http://community.qvc.com/forums/electronics-talk/topic/398254/postid/8106926/re-verizon-just-offered-me-an-unadvertised-smart-phone-plan.aspx#8106926

I brought a Samsung Galaxy S4, a 4G phone. I can send email, texts, read Kindle books, and talk on the phone. I can save my appointments to a calendar, that is synced to my gmail account.

I suggest you look at the S4, and the Galaxy Note 3 coming out in early October. You can also look at the Galaxy S3. This phone runs $99 with a contract.

IMO, most people do not need to upgrade a phone every two years.

I did business with Verizon by phone. I did not go to a company store.

Last edited on 9/21/2013

Last edited on 9/21/2013

nutmeg31379807968.0374221 PostsRegistered 6/18/2007NJ
On 9/21/2013 sassy lassy said:

Hi Everyone,

I 'm new to this... ( never had a Tracfone). want to get one and was all excited when I saw this offered at HSN, then realized you had to use everything in 90 days. I mainly need a phone for calling and texting , so would it better for me to get the LG 840 G ?

Currently I have Verizon on my old flip phone thru my employer , they are phasing out the Employee Cell Phone Program..... I sure would like to stay with Verizon.

You should look for a phone on Verizon site. You should then call and ask about a service. See, if the company will offer a deal on a contract.

crush1379808064.9271972 PostsRegistered 10/7/2005NC

For those who've replied...thank you. I bought one for myself and one for my husband. As for the 90 days use-up time, that won't be a problem for me. I'll mainly use my phone for minutes and texts anyway...that'll be 200 per month which I'll have no problem using. I'm just looking forward to buying the cards and tripling everything.

After comparing going through Verizon (which is our current provider), we will end up saving around $80-$100 per month with both phones. Our new plan with taxes and everything was going to be around $160 per month, not including the additional one-time charges of $60 to upgrade both phones and $140 for the accessories pkg. for both phones. Just that alone is $200!! If I buy each of us a $29.99 card good for 90 days and even end up using it all in one month, I'll still save $100 each month. If we don't like the phones, we'll still get our money's worth if we use them for a couple of months. I'm glad I ordered!!

moonstone ­dunes1379808678.881827 PostsRegistered 11/6/2011

It looks like a great deal to me as well. I ordered the HSN TSV and I NEVER order any electronics from shopping channels. Had a Blackberry, decided not to go there again, too many issues. Not an Apple lover.

I have researched the Androids, no this isn't the Galaxy S4 or Uber device but I want good service, some data functions and WiFi. The best coverage around here is offered by Verizon and AT&T but their prices are ridiculous considering what my usage would be.

Also ITA about the Wireless sales associates, they are useless. Wave $$$ and they change their tune, but just to get Q&A? They are awful that is why I am dropping T-Mobile, $60 per month for no signal, dropped calls and once your handset or device is out of warranty, they don't want to know you.

"Elegance is innate. It has nothing to do with being well dressed. Elegance is refusal" Diana Vreeland

"Crying is for plain women. Pretty Women go Shopping” Oscar Wilde

sassy lassy1379813202.673841 PostsRegistered 7/24/2008God's Country (Pacific NW)

nutmeg3, thank you.

crush, you mentioned after using up the 90 day min. etc you'll buy a 90 day card for $ 29.99 .

Earlier someone said it'll cost another $ 99.00 for an additional 400 min. after the original 600 were used up..... I'm confused.....

WhateverLo­laWants1379813708.0475288 PostsRegistered 10/7/2008New Mexico, not really new, not really Mexico
On 9/21/2013 happy housewife said: I've had a Tracfone for about 5 years - since i quit working.I had a samsung slider phone for 3 years and loved it til it just died and was un fix able.I then got a Samsung smartphone from HSN I hated - the buttons were too small and it was very difficult to hear it. So i bought a LG 840G and I'm very happy with it. You can't beat tracfone for economy and my phone gets on the internet via wifi if available or the browser. I can text, take pics or check thing on the internet.

I got the LG840G Tracfone when it was a TSV on HSN last February, after being a Verizon customer for 20+ years. I was on a monthly plan, never used up my monthly balance and had a $600 balance with them which I just left behind -- they would not apply this to another phone's service. The Tracfone was $100, has 400 min. which expire in one year and triple minutes when purchasing, also -- and didn't feel I was being taken advantage of with this plan! I'm definitely a low-use customer and have been more than satisfied with the phone. I sort of wanted an iPhone but just couldn't stomach the monthly fees at my usage level.

When purchasing minutes, you can find discount coupons online, as well as buy different packages of minutes/expiration.

Last edited on 9/21/2013

Last edited on 9/21/2013

Lola

nutmeg31379815826.7434221 PostsRegistered 6/18/2007NJ

nutmeg3, thank you.

crush, you mentioned after using up the 90 day min. etc you'll buy a 90 day card for $ 29.99 .

Earlier someone said it'll cost another $ 99.00 for an additional 400 min. after the original 600 were used up..... I'm confused.....

The $99 price comes direct from HSN for a 1 year card.

moonstone ­dunes1379816247.581827 PostsRegistered 11/6/2011
On 9/21/2013 nutmeg3 said:

nutmeg3, thank you.

The $99 price comes direct from HSN for a 1 year card.

This $99 offer is also on the tracfone website. Promo code 63633

The bundle comes with 600 min/600 txt/ 600mb data - plus 90 days service. Plus triple minutes for life.

These minutes should roll over, you don't need to use them all within 90 days. After the initial 90 days, you purchase the airtime you wish.

Going forward the minutes you select with each airtime purchase automatically triple. So if you purchase 400 minutes, you would get 1200.

"Elegance is innate. It has nothing to do with being well dressed. Elegance is refusal" Diana Vreeland

"Crying is for plain women. Pretty Women go Shopping” Oscar Wilde

crush1379816411.361972 PostsRegistered 10/7/2005NC

nutmeg3, thank you.

You can go to Tracfone and see the different cards offered. My son has a basic tracfone and there are many different cards depending on usage.

gilmoregirl1379816534.893904 PostsRegistered 11/14/2011
Being a techie.... I highly recommend you ladies pay for the $19.99 replacement plan HSN is offering for that phone. I am one of Samsung's biggest fans but their low end galaxy devices are not known for durability. The replacement plan is greatly advised....

betteb1379816752.58314495 PostsRegistered 1/1/2008The Land of Oz

Hi Everyone,

Yes get the 840G either here or at HSN, item number 297-074. It comes with 1400 minutes and a year of service.

"Though nothing can bring back the hour
Of splendour in the grass, of glory in the flower;
We will grieve not, rather find
Strength in what remains behind;" Wordsworth

makeupaddi­cted11379816789.6671036 PostsRegistered 9/16/2006

I can't really address this particular phone, buy my sister has a Tracfone and the service is really good.

makeup add­ict1379818130.9277719 PostsRegistered 12/27/2006
I got the trac phone when it was a TSV. I really like it, the triple minutes are for life with the plan I got unlike HSNs offer. I don't live on my cell phone, but its good for basic stuff. If you are in a wifi spot, up you don't get charge with minutes. I use magic jack plus for my home phone and the trac phone for my cell service. I don't miss monthly phone bills.

Page 1 of 2