Fall Fashion Days
102 Members and 13457 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

The Last Mile - Why your UPS is switched to the post office

Started 1379361324.29 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1379632751.253 by pistolino

My postmaster has explained this to me and says its OK if I pass the information along. UPS and Fed Ex have a policy that if their truck is not coming down your street the day they get your package from the shipper, it is passed off to the post office. My thought is then the post office gets the grief for late shipping, not UPS or Fed Ex. I have heavy things sent UPS and it bothers me no end to pick up my mail from the post office and have to lug those heavy items home.

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next
erica g1379361494.7273557 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004So Cal

I don't know if that's necessarily true. The reason being is that I have my things sent to my job and UPS delivers EVERYDAY at my job and my items still get transferred to the post office.

Nadjalu1379361667.9171935 PostsRegistered 9/7/2007
That is only if you do best standard shipping. If you choose UPS ( which is usually the same price), it comes UPS.

KatCat11379361792.98716564 PostsRegistered 7/21/2011

I also do not believe that is an accurate statement. That type up service is already set up and is cheaper for the co. to do it that way. However, it takes 8 to 10 days to receive and I recently gave up one co. I was doing business with because the way they were shipping. Fed Ex and the P.O. I would rather go with a co. that mails direct where it takes 2 to 3 days to receive.

myshell6241379361966.122267 PostsRegistered 2/27/2013

UPS passes my house everyday and my packages still get transferred.

brewhaha1379362173.62740433 PostsRegistered 1/14/2007Sitting in front of my computer

Taking the blame is part of the UPS and downs of working together.

"I don't want clever conversation. I never want to work that hard."
Billy Joel's Just The Way You Are

chrystaltr­ee1379362338.0711615 PostsRegistered 5/10/2010

I don't think that's quite right at all. I think it depends on what delivery plan the sender paid for. The QVC packages that are delivered by UPS are always delivered by UPS, they never get handed off to the post office. I wishe they did! Because I buy a lot of stuff online and I'm at the po almost every Saturday morning. I live in condo complex and if I am not home (which is 90% of the time) UPS just leaves my packages in the reception area. They no longer leave that slip that lets you go online and reschedule a delivery time or a delivery location. However, I shop with other companies that deliver by UPS or FED EX and they do the post office hand off. Which works for me. But some of FED EX packages are not taken to the post office. The driver either leaves them at my front door (he will go up stairs and drop them in front of my door, UPS won't) or he leaves a notice and I go online and reschedule. Whenever possible, I have my QVC packages delivered to the po. I don't mind paying the extra money. It's much easier for me. And safer.

cassiem1379362506.4976666 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

That's not true. Both UPS and Fed Ex have shipping services where packages are picked up/sent out via UPS or Fed Ex and delivered by the post office. The UPS version is called UPS Mail Innovations and the Fed Ex version is called Fed Ex Smart Post. The vendor/shipper is the one who chooses this shipping method, not the receiver. The vendor may say shipped UPS, but the package is sent via UPS Mail Innovations, so will be delivered by the post office. These services are used for a variety of reasons, one is that it's cheaper another is that it allows for delivery to PO boxes and other areas that do not have UPS or Fed Ex service.

jackthebear1379362521.135417 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I don't' think that is true. I think this another way to offer the vendor a way to save on their shipping costs.

I live in a small town and the UPS truck is there everyday. He drops boxes at the PO and they sit there till the next day, sorry to say that this occurs mostly with QVC. Amazon never. However the Legacy leggings arrived so quickly via UPS directly.

I think the OP is probably offering her Postmaster's take on this.

Rowdymom1379362590.2313089 PostsRegistered 6/20/2005SE PA
On 9/16/2013 Nadjalu said: That is only if you do best standard shipping. If you choose UPS ( which is usually the same price), it comes UPS.

That's accurate. Standard Shipping here and on HSN is "smart post" which is the procedure the OP described. I have received products that switched over from UPS to Postal and from UPS the same day. If you watch your tracking, you can see it switch over. I'm in PA and have had packages from HSN switch to Postal in MD.

blonde/gray, blue-gray, dry combination, neutral beige. WEN, Somerville, Clinique

Lowry831379362900.093365 PostsRegistered 8/15/2008
On 9/16/2013 erica g said:

I don't know if that's necessarily true. The reason being is that I have my things sent to my job and UPS delivers EVERYDAY at my job and my items still get transferred to the post office.

I have my stuff delivered to a UPS Store (where I have a "box," like a Post Office Box), and it gets transferred to the Post Office. I don't specify which type of shipping I want when placing orders - I just take whatever they offer at the stated, standard rate.

EDIT - The tracking information I receive for packages that start with UPS states something like "Package transferred to Post Office. Allow an additional day or two for delivery." That is posted the day before my packages are delivered by Post Office to my UPS Store box.

Last edited on 9/17/2013

Last edited on 9/17/2013

jackthebear1379362968.65417 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

http://www.upsmailinnovations.com/about/index.html

2bc1379363036.86413 PostsRegistered 12/31/2011
I'll get UPS with Post office delivery and UPS on the same day. I don't really mind because they deliver and leave the packages for me. I don't like FedEx because I have to sign and I am never around or asleep (I work nights) when they come by. I'm lucky that the area I live in gets pretty fast delivery and my packages are safe left by my door.

"you keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." Inigo Montoya

LipstickDi­va1379363157.02336939 PostsRegistered 4/22/2005On the Lake in Ohio

That doesn't make sense. I get packages from UPS and FedEx to my house and oftentimes I am the only person getting a delivery. And I never choose UPS. I actually prefer the Post Office.

You can't buy love but you can adopt it. Adopt, don't shop.

Nightowlz1379363226.099211 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I don't think it's accurate either. If I pay for UPS shipping it had better be delivered by UPS. I hate the slow mail innovations. I think it has more to do with the shipping option you choose on checkout with Q. If you don't change it to UPS as I do they ship the cheapest way but still charging you more money. Also places you order from online where you get free shipping would ship cheapest way to save them money. I don't know how it could be cheaper for UPS or FedEx to get these packages & drop them off at the Post Office. Makes no sense. USPS will hold them until they can get to them. Besides it would be cheaper in the long run for the packages to just be shipped flat rating shipping using USPS.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” Will Rogers

geezerette1379363322.55585 PostsRegistered 8/27/2008

As others have mentioned, if UPS (or Fed/Ex) hands off to the USPS it is at the designation of the shipper. Usually it's because it's cheaper for the shipper to do it this way. I usually get packages this way from a couple of places that offer free shipping. However, if UPS is coming to my house with something else and happens to have the USPS package they will bring it instead of giving it over to the post office.

Since I live in the country, this has been the preferred shipping method for many of my deliveries in the last few years, including most packages from QVC. However, I've noticed that since QVC's shipping charges have been raised, I now get most of their orders delivered directly from UPS, even the smallest ones that always would have been handed over to the USPS in the past. I can only assume that's because either the USPS has raised their prices or that so many people were complaining about it taking so long to get their QVC packages (it does get here quicker coming straight from UPS).

HiLo1379363498.846483 PostsRegistered 8/28/2007

If you have a business UPS does deliver everyday. If by "my items? you mean those that are received at your home, they may go through the P.O.

HiLo1379363509.4476483 PostsRegistered 8/28/2007

If you have a business UPS does deliver everyday. If by "my items? you mean those that are received at your home, they may go through the P.O.

okiebug1379365091.393458 PostsRegistered 1/2/2008

On QVC, you now have the option of changing the shipping from "Best Standard Delivery" to either straight UPS or Post Office. Just open up the drop down menu. They are all three the same cost.

erica g1379365740.9233557 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004So Cal
On 9/16/2013 HiLo said:

I mean items that are shipped to my work address...the same address that UPS delivers to everyday. Not my home address.

Azcowgirl1379368595.5636832 PostsRegistered 4/10/2012
This SMART POST has been a nightmare, when I have tried to get something shipped to my vacation home, and it wound up dumped off at the post office , who didn't have a clue what to do with it and returned it to sender ( I wound up having to rent a PO box to avoid this)

ccassaday1379370394.8731579 PostsRegistered 4/18/2009

Thats not true. Because the shipping method is determined at your time of order. Kohls almost always ships fed ex smart post which is giving it to the post office.

KentuckyWo­man1379377091.3631762 PostsRegistered 10/29/2009

We order online quite a bit and we just use the default shipper and method. In our area UPS and FDEX do hand of packages to our local post office for delivery. That includes QVC and all other vendors we purchase from. We have never had any problems with late or lost packages. Terms are usually 5 to 10 working days and they are usually there within 5 or 6 days.

KatCat11379377329.30716564 PostsRegistered 7/21/2011
On 9/16/2013 ccassaday said:

Thats not true. Because the shipping method is determined at your time of order. Kohls almost always ships fed ex smart post which is giving it to the post office.

When I had that service (not from Kohls) it left PA to IL to KY to CA to IL. That is totally ridiculous. So it goes from the East coast to the Midwest to the West Coast back to the Midwest.

Carole221379399565.323502 PostsRegistered 10/19/2004
Somebody lied to you. I've had deliveries by UPS for 5 days straight and still there are some SmartPosts or whatever the UPS version is called, also come mid to late week. I HATE SmartPost. I'm an Amazon Prime customer with free "supposedly-2-day" shipping. NEVER EVER EVER comes in two days if handed off to the Post Office. I'm not a basher of the U.S. Mail...in fact, I think they have gotten far more customer-friendly at the one closest to me, but the partnership between UPS, FedEx and the P.O. doesn't work. It may work at other branches. Kohl's just plain stinks in their shipping. Stores are fine, delivery often 10 days or more...unacceptable.Last edited on 9/17/2013

Last edited on 9/17/2013

blahblahva­mpemerblah1379403972.6976131 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 9/16/2013 myshell624 said:

UPS passes my house everyday and my packages still get transferred.

I don't think it's about PASSING your house as much as it is are they STOPPING at your house.

I've noticed with over one dozen packages that it will be delivered by UPS if they're already coming to the house that day. If they're not, it goes to the USPS.

Yeah, FINALLY!!!!! Run Trey, run!

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next