Fashion & Accessories Clearance
144 Members and 14047 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Thank You, Thank You, Posters, You Literally Saved My Lips!

Started 1375760632.443 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1376010913.31 by DeltaOne

All of a sudden, about a month and a half ago, my lower lip got really red and irritated. It wasn't swollen, but it was bright cherry red like it had been burned - but it wasn't. My upper lip was normal, which was very strange, because if it had been an allergic reaction to something I was using, it would have been affected too. For almost a month, my lower lip was a raw open wound. I had to eat a bland diet, because anything like salt or vinegar would kill. I was only able to tolerate petroleum jelly, and even then, if it started wearing off just a little, the dryness and burning would start. Wearing my beloved lipsticks and glosses was becoming a distant memory.

I Googled endlessly: Dehydrated? I drank so much water I was in the bathroom - a lot. Licked my lips too much? Not really, but I made sure I didn't. Canker sore or herpes? No, that would just be a single sore, not my whole lower lip.

I asked my pharmacist if there was anything I could use for it. She'd never seen anything like it, but God bless her, she recommended Aquaphor Healing Ointment. My lips felt better, but the redness was still there and so was the underlying problem. I went to my primary care doctor, and she couldn't figure it out either! She said keep using the Aquaphor and if it didn't clear up in two weeks she'd refer me to a dermatologist.

Well, one day I tried an Internet search again, and one link led to another, and up popped "toothpaste allergy". Could it be? My lip burned when I brushed my teeth, but I thought it was just because it was irritated. So I Googled toothpaste allergy, read a few posts, and then saw a link to a QVC thread from a few years ago from a woman with the exact same symptoms - lower lip only, red and burning and irritated. It turns out a poster tipped her off that she, (as well as many other people) could have a severe allergic reaction to Colgate Total toothpaste. You guessed it - that's what I was using! I tossed it and immediately switched to brushing with a kid's gentle toothpaste, and only a pea-sized drop. My lip is almost 100% healed now, and I've started using lipstick again, hooray! By the way, why only my lower lip? Next time you brush your teeth you'll see. The foam just sits on your lower lip, but doesn't really get on your upper one.

"I've got a dictionary, and I'm not afraid to use it!"

Page 1 of 1
Goldie761375761040.952296 PostsRegistered 5/19/2012

Fascinating. Thank heavens you are a determined and inquisitive person.

I'm happy you are doing well now.

susan_ca1375761255.2072111 PostsRegistered 4/18/2013

Glad you found the cause and solution. :o)

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald, "The Crack-Up" (1936)

pinkberry1375830023.107870 PostsRegistered 11/28/2007

I totally relate to your story. A few years ago, I developed a burning sensation in my mouth. The roof of my mouth, tongue and gums burned all the time, like I had just eaten very spicy food. It wasn't heartburn because my throat felt fine. I drank tons of cold water to put out the fire, yet it didn't work; I couldn't enjoy eating because everything tasted like acid. My dentist couldn't give me any definite explanation, nor any cure. Well I finally figured out that it was my toothpaste! I had been using a toothpaste for sensitive teeth that helped build enamel. As soon as I stopped using it and went back to ordinary toothpaste, my mouth went back to normal!

KatCat11375835843.1616495 PostsRegistered 7/21/2011

OMG! Who would ever think an allergy to toothpaste. I am glad you found out what it was and that you are starting to heal. Take care.

D Oro1375836297.1634063 PostsRegistered 2/17/2011Knock Knock, USA

The internet is a marvelous tool. Good for you!

The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud.
-- Coco Chanel

Life is too short to spend hoping that a perfectly arched eyebrow or hottest new lip shade will mask an ugly heart.---Kevin Aucoin

MrsSweetie­Beear1375836643.87240 PostsRegistered 7/18/2013Somewhere UNDER The Rainbow

I've heard of people who are allergic to certain toothpastes but more in the way of causing acne like pimples around their mouth and chin. Never heard of this burning chapped experience on the lower lip caused by toothpaste. I guess it's specifically Colgate.

How fortunate for you that the old QVC post came up in your search. And now next time someone is googling for this info, you will have helped someone else. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} That what I love about this place! Smile

Go celebrate your cure and your good deed in sharing by buying yourself a new lipstick. Kiss

My favorite people are dogs.

Spunkyspou­ts1375837031.4436996 PostsRegistered 11/19/2008miami

It seems the greater the products capability, the greater the toxicity. I switched to a organic tooth paste and I use just a small amount, then I dip it in baking soda, the I dip the brush in hydrogen peroxide. My mouth has never felt cleaner, my teeth look really white. I guess it pays to go back to basics, and its cheaper too.

grammarque­en1375847848.3271044 PostsRegistered 5/4/2007Upper Cape Cod

Which, MrsSweetieBeear is exactly what I did. I sell stuff on eBay, and with my PayPal money I got a Lancome Rouge in Love lippy in Corail in Love from HSN. Kiss

love BE1375848300.5731148 PostsRegistered 8/20/2007SD

I too have an allergy to all the mainstream toothpastes. It is an ingredient they all use..my dentist knew what it was as they have seen it quite a bit but I can use Pronamel but make sure to always rinse it around my lips or I will get little sores and painful. It first happened when I was pregnant and you are always more sensitive to everything and my doctor told me to try to switch toothpaste. I can never use any whitening products due to this in fear my whole mouth will break out!

Rainbows a­nd Roses1375848769.16718545 PostsRegistered 6/4/2011
On 8/6/2013 angelsareout said:

It seems the greater the products capability, the greater the toxicity. I switched to a organic tooth paste and I use just a small amount, then I dip it in baking soda, the I dip the brush in hydrogen peroxide. My mouth has never felt cleaner, my teeth look really white. I guess it pays to go back to basics, and its cheaper too.

Hello Angelsareout........thank you for posting this. Will you share the name of the hydrogen peroxide and the percentage? Do you get this at Walmart around the rubbing alcohol or is this a food grade peroxide? I don't know if there is a food grade peroxide but I don't want to use too much........thank you again.

"Crying is for plain women, Pretty women go shopping." Oscar Wilde

"The most beautiful makeup of a woman is passion but cosmetics are easier to buy." YSL

MrsSweetie­Beear1375853646.847240 PostsRegistered 7/18/2013Somewhere UNDER The Rainbow
On 8/6/2013 grammarqueen said:

Which, MrsSweetieBeear is exactly what I did. I sell stuff on eBay, and with my PayPal money I got a Lancome Rouge in Love lippy in Corail in Love from HSN. Kiss

I approve! Good for you!! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

My favorite people are dogs.

ID21375871279.522038 PostsRegistered 6/25/2012
On 8/5/2013 grammarqueen said:

All of a sudden, about a month and a half ago, my lower lip got really red and irritated. It wasn't swollen, but it was bright cherry red like it had been burned - but it wasn't. My upper lip was normal, which was very strange, because if it had been an allergic reaction to something I was using, it would have been affected too. For almost a month, my lower lip was a raw open wound. I had to eat a bland diet, because anything like salt or vinegar would kill. I was only able to tolerate petroleum jelly, and even then, if it started wearing off just a little, the dryness and burning would start. Wearing my beloved lipsticks and glosses was becoming a distant memory.

I Googled endlessly: Dehydrated? I drank so much water I was in the bathroom - a lot. Licked my lips too much? Not really, but I made sure I didn't. Canker sore or herpes? No, that would just be a single sore, not my whole lower lip.

I asked my pharmacist if there was anything I could use for it. She'd never seen anything like it, but God bless her, she recommended Aquaphor Healing Ointment. My lips felt better, but the redness was still there and so was the underlying problem. I went to my primary care doctor, and she couldn't figure it out either! She said keep using the Aquaphor and if it didn't clear up in two weeks she'd refer me to a dermatologist.

Well, one day I tried an Internet search again, and one link led to another, and up popped "toothpaste allergy". Could it be? My lip burned when I brushed my teeth, but I thought it was just because it was irritated. So I Googled toothpaste allergy, read a few posts, and then saw a link to a QVC thread from a few years ago from a woman with the exact same symptoms - lower lip only, red and burning and irritated. It turns out a poster tipped her off that she, (as well as many other people) could have a severe allergic reaction to Colgate Total toothpaste. You guessed it - that's what I was using! I tossed it and immediately switched to brushing with a kid's gentle toothpaste, and only a pea-sized drop. My lip is almost 100% healed now, and I've started using lipstick again, hooray! By the way, why only my lower lip? Next time you brush your teeth you'll see. The foam just sits on your lower lip, but doesn't really get on your upper one.

For Pete's sake why didn't you go see a doctor right away instead of looking on the internet (Googled endlessly) or asking your pharmacist??? Wow you just amaze me. {#emotions_dlg.mad}

Love my "Pure Michigan"

buddylou1375871893.3274902 PostsRegistered 4/24/2007

I have never heard of this but I am so proud you did your homework and found a cure. Bless your heart for having to endure this for so long. I hope anyone that ever encounters this will see your post and it will help them.

AngelPuppy11375872642.458592 PostsRegistered 5/26/2008

I had a similar problem. Then, the inside - kind of the lining of my mouth began peeling off in long white strings --- ugh --- gross!! The dentist asked me what I was using and I said -- well, I am using a whitening toothpaste and a rinse for plaque and he instructed me to immediately stop both and to use basic Colgate and nothing else. Within days I had immediate relief. So, I guess everyone is different. But I just couldn't believe I was allergic to these things. I was upset, too, because I really liked using the whitening paste and plaque rinse as it made my mouth and teeth feel really clean. But you gotta do what you gotta do!!!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin.

grammarque­en1375873990.8571044 PostsRegistered 5/4/2007Upper Cape Cod

Wow, ID2, do you run to the doctor for every little thing? Usually, for something minor, you try home remedies for a couple of weeks, and if that doesn't clear it up, then you take the next step and go to a doctor. Also, you don't know me or my financial situation or if I even have health insurance (I do). I will try not to be as judgmental as you so obviously are, but if I had gone to a doctor immediately, would you be one of those people who complain that our healthcare costs are being driven up by hypochondriacs like me who run to the doctor every time we turn around?

Let me just break here and say I have met a few "ladies" like you on Beauty Banter, and the experience has always been most unpleasant.

beautybee1375893347.071043 PostsRegistered 1/11/2012

I appreciate you sharing your story. Who knew that toothpaste could be a culprit?! And it makes so much sense when you mentioned that the toothpaste just sits on the lower lip. I'm glad you found a solution. Smile

BigBro61375893689.872672 PostsRegistered 11/15/2007Lafayette New Jersey

I am glad you got your answer ! Sometimes word of mouth among people are great in conjunction with doctors.

Bikkie1375894340.133933 PostsRegistered 10/7/2009

Thank you for sharing your story! Very cool! I am so glad that you finally found relief. I wonder what ingredient is the cause for problem?

glmama1376006364.9819191 PostsRegistered 12/8/2006

Very interesting and I'm so glad you're healing!

Over 40. Dark hair. Fair, with mild-moderate Rosacea. Finicky skin. Did I mention--Gorgeous? ;)

DeltaOne1376010913.312167 PostsRegistered 12/19/2006

grammarqueen: Thanks so much for sharing!

Have you let your pharmacist and doctor know what it was so they can pass on the information to others? I am sensitive to tons of things, and I can only use the basic toothpaste, no whiteners, etc. And I must rinse it off thoroughly otherwise I get breakouts on my skin.

Page 1 of 1