WEN by Chaz Dean
163 Members and 11220 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Paging Pearly Shells

Started 1372655315.12 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1372685869.79 by Dublingrl
replies

Pearly Shells,

What beaches did you visit in Africa? How long was your visit? This is a life long dream for me and my husband, and we want to make the most of it. My son will be 7 or 8 when when we go. I read it's best to go in July or August. What do you think?

We are going next summer.

We don't mind catching another flight. One trip will definately be all about the Safari experience. The next leg of the trip we are looking for white sandy beaches.

Thank You!!!

Page 1 of 1
Pearly She­lls1372661929.533111 PostsRegistered 3/2/2013

Like you, flying to Africa - any country in Africa - takes 25 to 30 hours from the West Coast. With such a big time commitment, I like to stay for at least two weeks in Africa.

I live on the beach so my trips to Africa are mostly for safari, birding, and cultural experiences. That said, I did visit a couple of beaches near Cape Town, South Africa. Cape Town is where two oceans, the Indian Ocean and the Atlantic Ocean, meet. One is warm and the other is cold - so there are two different experiences close to one another. I went out to Boulders Beach for penguin watching and swimming. I also went to Clifton 4th Beach for sunbathing (no swimming because it is on the Atlantic side). Although I didn't have time for it, there was also some nice surfing going on (I do surf at home). I also went sailing from Cape Town. That was a lot of fun.

As far as time of year to go, July is still winter in South Africa. August is early spring. You won't be able to enjoy the beach at that time. If you can swing it, I would go earlier or later.

I know I'm being long winded, but here's my final tip: I used to like to do my layover in London to get acclimated to the timezone, but since I've discovered Cape Town, I stop there to rest a few days - I don't want to be tired for the beginning of a long safari.

Pearly She­lls1372662281.34111 PostsRegistered 3/2/2013

P.S. If you're like me, one trip won't be enough. My trip of a lifetie turned into two, which will soon turn into three.

Have fun!

Dublingrl1372685869.791382 PostsRegistered 6/1/2008

Thank you Pearly Shells! We are in CA bay area (very west coast), I'll look at flights just to get an idea, I think we will have to transfer inbetween.

What is the best time to watch the big game? That is probably the biggest priority, outside my son's schooling, but if we have to miss some time, I suppose it's not a huge deal, Traveling is an education as well.

It's early days yet, we won't be going until next year, but it's good to have time to plan. Please keep in touch and let us know how your trip went. If there's anything that was fantastic, or anything you would avoid.

It's been about 8 years since I have done any international travel.

Page 1 of 1