Guaranteed Delivery
117 Members and 17128 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Large busted beauties..Can you recommend a good non-underwire, supportive bra?

Started 1371361183.59 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1371851354.85 by kay20

I love my bras from Victoria Secret 38DD, but I am thinking it's time to rid myself of underwire for good. Can anyone recommend a line or type that doesn't live you one big nonsupported uni-boob?!? Thanks gals!

Page 1 of 2
KateChopin1371361477.764287 PostsRegistered 1/17/2010

Don't know if I qualify, but Bali Double Support. Several different kinds, such as spa closure, stretchy straps, non-stretchy straps, etc.

DannysWife1371392868.15490 PostsRegistered 10/11/2010Ohio

I wear a 40DDD and find great bras at Lane Bryant. If you look online you can search by size, etc.. Every now and again I find a Platex that has the extra band underneath for added support without the wire,but for some reason they are difficult to find.

"Trust everyone just don't trust the devil inside of them"

Zebsmom21371393028.8531182 PostsRegistered 1/27/2008MN
I just bought a great bra from Soma. I prefer underwire but did notice they had many without. Hope you find what you like!

Wrinkles only land where the smiles have been...Jimmy Buffett

KatCat11371393436.68317493 PostsRegistered 7/21/2011

Vanity Fair at Kohl's. I wear the wired version but there is one without underwire. It looks like a sweater bra with a smooth cup. Very comfortable, wide stretch straps that never fall down,great support.

happy hous­ewife1371393661.1833162 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007
I absolutely will not wear a underwire bra. I either buy Cacique at Lane Bryant store or Playtex - they make many different styles to suit almost anyone. cacique bras are made from cotton jersey and are the most comfortable bras ever. You can get the formed ones for wearing with t shirts etc or just the simple cotton jersey cups.

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

Windycity1371394913.8271074 PostsRegistered 4/15/2005

Love the cotton-rich Cacique non-wire from LB. So comfortable especially during the heat of the summer, or during one's own "personal" hot flash. Kiss

Actually registered and a poster since 2004 ~

sidsmom1371396596.166293 PostsRegistered 8/11/2007Dallas!
Wow...that's an oxymoron! "Non-underwire supportive" :) If you've been wearing bras from VS, you haven't experienced a "good" bra. A quality bra will have underwire (like Wacoal), but you won't feel it...it's very comfortable. There might be a little sticker shock, but it's oh, so worth it. You won't be disappointed.

happy hous­ewife1371397734.5533162 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007
On 6/16/2013 Windycity said:

Love the cotton-rich Cacique non-wire from LB. So comfortable especially during the heat of the summer, or during one's own "personal" hot flash. Kiss

I wear them most of the time - I got a good deal on some playtex bras but i do notice the difference in comfort . I snowbird Fl. to pa so i live a life of eternal summer and the Cacique bras are definitely cooler and softer than any other bra - but yet give support without the wires.

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

HappyDaze1371398347.89317385 PostsRegistered 6/13/2012
On 6/16/2013 sidsmom said: Wow...that's an oxymoron! "Non-underwire supportive" :) If you've been wearing bras from VS, you haven't experienced a "good" bra. A quality bra will have underwire (like Wacoal), but you won't feel it...it's very comfortable. There might be a little sticker shock, but it's oh, so worth it. You won't be disappointed.

I agree! I cannot imagine! I've never found a non-underwire bra that actually supported "the girls" enough and I really worry about them sagging as I get older so I will not give them to chance by not wearing an underwire bra. Once you find a good quality underwire, you will never even know you have one on and the support is the best.

ETA: I never could find a could find a comfortable bra or a bra that fit me really well at Victoria Secret. I have an odd, hard to find size but they do carrry the size in some of their bras in some stores and online yet they never fit well. They had a really nice one years ago but discontinued it.

Last edited on 6/16/2013

Last edited on 6/16/2013

kay201371400768.4671045 PostsRegistered 1/24/2008Texas

I only wear underwire and have never had a problem with them. They feel more comfortable and supportive to me. I wear Bali and Warner but am always on the hunt for a good bra. I have tried VS bras and didn't like them. I'm a 36C and I felt they didn't give enough support. I agree with sidsmom...If you buy a good quality bra you won't even notice the underwire.

ottosmommy1371403360.967328 PostsRegistered 1/9/2009

Before my reduction surgery I wore Glamorise Magic Lift bras in size 40F and they were extremely comfortable and supportive.

suzieQ4me1371405584.7834695 PostsRegistered 7/12/2007

I am glad I saw the suggestions here. I have been on the hunt for a comfy bra for many years. I am an odd size (44B), which are sometimes hard to find. I wore C cup for most of my life, only to find that I should be in B. Anyway, about once a year I order 5 or 6 bras that have been recommended either here on by my family/friends and end up shipping them all back. I still have not found my holy grail bra. I just yesterday shipped back 4 that I ordered online last month. I figured if I order 4 or 5 at the same time, at least 1 of them should work!! Wacoal is one I have never tried, so I think I will give it a try. Thanks again for your recommendations!

just bee1371418461.3514486 PostsRegistered 1/3/2010Albuquerque, New Mexico

I started wearing a bra in elementary school and when I started high school I needed something serious and utilitarian. All the other girls wore halter tops but, as my sister pointed out, I had too much to halt, so she took me to JC Penney where a woman who had worked in their lingerie department probably before the brassiere was even invented, burst into my dressing room with THE FOUNDATION. The straps were wider, there were more hooks, there was no lace. I was mortified.

All I ever wanted was the type of bra that my peers wore. Flowery, flimsy.

Decades later, after wearing some good bras and some bad bras, I've returned to THE FOUNDATION. Serious, supportive, comfortable -- yet utilitarian -- bras made by Playtex. I find a style that works, then buy as many as I can before the style is discontinued.

That woman in JCP's lingerie department knew her stuff. Remember: Nothing gives a woman a good lift like a great foundation.

My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.

shan1131371438126.777185 PostsRegistered 5/16/2010
I am very satisfied with my Le Mystere bra. The actual bra in the collection is the Dream Tisha and have quite a few of these. I am full busted and I love the support. Sorry about that - you said non- underwire. This bra has underwire. Last edited on 6/16/2013

Last edited on 6/16/2013

JaneMarple1371438394.64316816 PostsRegistered 5/23/2011Seek respect, not attention. It lasts longer.

I am 36DD and hate underwriters, I dereGulated 18 hour with gel strap s. They are very comfortable.

Stop fighting over who created the world and fight against the people who are destroying it.

okiebug1371441238.6534276 PostsRegistered 1/2/2008

I'm a 38DD and wear Cacique from Lane Bryant. I wear mostly the underwire because I find them the most supportive and they are well padded so I don't feel the underwire at all. They have the same bra I wear without underwire - it looks the same, has the seam just like it would have an underwire so would be supportive, but I've never worn it. They have a more casual cotton knit bra that is soft cup that I wear when I'm working at home - it's not a sports bra so it doesn't squish and the straps stay put. Usually there's at least one sales clerk in the store that is a good bra fitter and a few times a year they have their bra fitting event with special sales. I've also used the Playtex 18 hr front closure bra that's very supportive.

Sister Gol­den Hair1371441521.9614619 PostsRegistered 7/18/2008

My sister-in-law loves "Playtex 18 hour comfort strap" bra. Macy's had them for $12.99 over the weekend on their website. She use to buy them at Walmart.

Reach for the moon, even if you miss, you will land among the stars.

Feldspar1371686246.907493 PostsRegistered 5/11/2010AZ

Sadly, nothing comes very close to the support of underwire for me. Plus, wirefree bras don't "shape" well (in other words, they don't help my sagginess). The best non-wire I've found is from Soma Intimates. Their "Embraceable" wire-free bra has some support and it's super soft. They also have a wire-free called "Vanishing Back" but I haven't tried it yet. It looks wonderful, though, and I hope to try it soon. My biggest problem with wire-frees is the underarm and back fat caused by lack of support, so maybe a "back support" bra will be the ticket! (My favorite bra, ever, at this time is Soma Sensuous Sides Full Coverage Underwire Bra.)

Recently I bought a bra for $12.00 (!!) called Teri Everyday Elegance, and it's a surprisingly supportive wire-free as well. For the price I didn't expect much at all but this is such a pretty bra and it's supportive enough to wear for "everyday" type stuff. However, my tissue still falls to the sides way more than underwires would let it.

For sleep I like the Barely There pullover bras. The are very lightweight and they come in cute colors. They don't cover up as much of the torso as Ahh or Genie or Coobie bras but they have decent support (for sleeping).

KatherineW1371690043.59328130 PostsRegistered 3/16/2009Alabamian by Birth; Southern By The Grace of God
On 6/16/2013 okiebug said:

I'm a 38DD and wear Cacique from Lane Bryant. I wear mostly the underwire because I find them the most supportive and they are well padded so I don't feel the underwire at all. They have the same bra I wear without underwire - it looks the same, has the seam just like it would have an underwire so would be supportive, but I've never worn it. They have a more casual cotton knit bra that is soft cup that I wear when I'm working at home - it's not a sports bra so it doesn't squish and the straps stay put. Usually there's at least one sales clerk in the store that is a good bra fitter and a few times a year they have their bra fitting event with special sales. I've also used the Playtex 18 hr front closure bra that's very supportive.

I am a 40D and also have worn the Cacique brand. The 2 I have of that brand are more like sports bras with NO UNDERWIRE. DH said when I first wore them " WOW...you have the girls really up there!"

Love them and will buy 2 more when I feel these are worn out.

GrannyDea1371695195.99983 PostsRegistered 12/31/2006OK

After reading this, I went to the Lane Bryant website. I chose the non wire bras and just wondered which one you were talking about liking so much? Can you help I think it showed about 9 or so different ones. Thanks so much.

Jen S1371696079.1232093 PostsRegistered 5/24/2010WI

Jockey terry band bra is one I love. It's very comfy and does not cause that undesirable uni effect. I wear it on weekends and sometimes even to work - it gives great lines under clothing, it isn't a 'delicate' bra though.

Last edited on 6/19/2013

Last edited on 6/19/2013

GrannyDea1371785010.757983 PostsRegistered 12/31/2006OK

That does look comfortable but wonder how it would fit a small person but too heavy? Just wondering. Thanks so much for taking the time to find the picture and then send it here. You're a dear. GD

GrannyDea1371785071.987983 PostsRegistered 12/31/2006OK

Oh, is this bra at the Lane Bryant website too.

Jen S1371799675.912093 PostsRegistered 5/24/2010WI
On 6/20/2013 GrannyDea said:

That does look comfortable but wonder how it would fit a small person but too heavy? Just wondering. Thanks so much for taking the time to find the picture and then send it here. You're a dear. GD

I get this bra at Herbergers department store. I haven't found it in a lot of places, so I currently have 3 of them in case I can't ever find them again. As for on LB, I have no idea. I don't know if they sell Jockey or a copy of something like it. I have a longer torso, so it works well on me, but for a shorter torso, I just am not sure. I like the large band because it stays put and has a terry lining on it so it's soft. The first two times of wearing it, it was slightly irritating at the top of the cup area but I was told to wash it two or three times and maybe use softener if needed. I never ended up needing the softener, and the regular hand wash in the sink with Tide seemed to soften up the area. It's truly as comfy as slippers for the upper body!

I think your best bet would be to find one and try in person. You may or may not have to go down a band size (I did, but my friend did not). She is larger in the midriff though and she's happy w/hers.

I'll check in the morning to see what the bra # is - I know it is on the back panel. That may help if you Google it to have that #.

GrannyDea1371835165.133983 PostsRegistered 12/31/2006OK

Thanks so much for this info, Jen S. I am short and too heavy and have trouble with bands curling so not sure this would work for me. Wish I could try one on but not sure where I'd have to go to find one. I can check the web though.

I see some bras that don't have a band or much of one and wonder if they would work for me or if it would just ride up where it would be uncomfortable? Anyway, sure appreciate your response. I will check back when time allows.

Page 1 of 2