Spring & Summer Beauty
110 Members and 12749 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Best Foundation for Over 50 Skin

Started 1370346415.637 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1370526219.223 by JanDoll

I'm looking for a new foundation. I need one that's not too oily since I still have T-zone issues but with good coverage that won't accent the small lines and larger pores. I'd prefer one that I could buy at the store and not have to order on line. Also, if possible, something reasonably priced. Some of them are much too expensive for me. Any suggestions?

Page 1 of 1
bug1671370347119159 PostsRegistered 4/7/2008

Right up front I'll say neither of these is a "foundation" but if you use either of these you won't NEED a foundation. These have TOTAL coverage even without a concealer and I have bad rosacea that both cover beautifully. No, these can't be bought in a store (other than maybe Sephora or places like that) but they are both well worth their prices and the effort to get them. I've spent an extraordinary amount of time trying to find something that works on my 52 year old face that doesn't settle into the lines and wrinkles and covers without making me feel like I've got cement mix on my face.

The first is A231985 It Cosmetics Anti-Aging Full Coverage Physical SPF 50 CC Cream. I wasn't a believer until I watched the founder of It Cosmetics take her make up off and reapply this CC Cream and her rosacea was as bad as mine, if not worse. You couldn't see a thing! I would also recommend It's primer as well (A231717). It's so wonderful and you can actually use it as a moisturizer too! I've never found a better primer and it's a dang good moisturizer as well! The CC Cream doesn't settle into fine lines and wrinkles and it makes you look years younger! Honestly!

The second is philosophy's Keep the Peace Protective Color Corrector SPF 20. QVC doesn't carry it at this time but philosophy.com does. I would recommend this is you have rosacea as well (that's what it's made for). Of course, either will work whether you have rosacea or not. They're both wonderful. The Keep the Peace feels like liquid velvet going on your skin. It's so wonderfully light and soft and it covers as well as the It CC Cream. This one (the Keep the Peace) also doesn't settle into fine lines and wrinkles and just is a lovely way to start your day when having to wear make up.

That's my $.02 for what it's worth. I just never really liked foundation and now I don't have to use it at all! YAY! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Last edited on 6/4/2013

Last edited on 6/4/2013

Wildapple1370355722.25688 PostsRegistered 11/17/2008Down Home
I like and have used for years Merle Norman Lasting foundation. I also like Clinique Even Better foundation and will switch between the two. Both of these work great on over 50 skin and can ve found in stores.

Seattlegir­l980261370367651.0671349 PostsRegistered 12/9/2011
Check out Rimmel 25 hour lasting foundation. Best quality I've found in drugstore products and it gets great reviews. I'm an oily skin gal and it works for me. I found my color match on the Findation site and it's spot on. Good luck in your search!

SharonKay1370401856.343782 PostsRegistered 3/16/2008Ohio

My favorite foundation is L'Oreal Visible Lift Serum Absolute.

There are a couple of different visible lift foundations so it can be difficult to find this one. It's in a pump bottle and says it has SPF 17 (I always use separate sunscreen under it) and it also has pro-retinal and vitamin C.

I have found this one to have good coverage without looking heavy. I just need a little bit to even out my skin and it doesn't seem to accentuate my pores.

I don't know if this will work for you because I don't have much of an issue with my t-zone, just a wee bit in the summer when it's hot, but I am 52 and have some of the issues you mentioned. If you choose to try it, I recommend buying it at one of the drug stores where you can return it if it doesn't work.

Get rich quick - count your blessings

RJB1370406030.68328 PostsRegistered 11/23/2007

I tried the IT cc cream (I am 59 years old), and felt it was way to heavy for my needs. I do use Boscia BB cream. It's light and you can get at Sephora. It just evens out the imperfections, hyperpigmentation, discoloration, etc. I don't like anything too heavy and I wear it when I play tennis. I do use IT powder over it and it really is nice. I also like M. Asam Magic Finish which is kind of like a mousse but very light. You can also add a little more to certain areas for more coverage. It kind of turns to a a powder once applied so you don't really need anything else, but I still use the It Cosmetics powder (I forget the actual name but it's a collagen powder with a super groovy brush). I do have some lines around my eye area, so am pretty cautious about what I use and the Boscia with It seems to make everything look much more flawless (or as close to it as I can get at this point in my life).

KateChopin1370410335.5133211 PostsRegistered 1/17/2010

I have been using Keep the Peace for a long time and I love it, but it is more of a BB cream than a foundation. I put the IT Bye Bye Pores over it. For more coverage, I like Bobbi Brown's foundations. I also like Revlon Colorstay.

KatCat11370410589.04315819 PostsRegistered 7/21/2011

It controls oil, flawless finish, advanced emolient system, weightless and feels wonderful on the skin. Stila Perfect and Correct. You can get a sample at Sephora or try out at ULTA. Also, medium coverage. Worth the money as you don't need to use much at all.

Rochester ­Shopper1370438068.94922 PostsRegistered 7/20/2011Michigan
On 6/4/2013 RJB said:

I tried the IT cc cream (I am 59 years old), and felt it was way to heavy for my needs. I do use Boscia BB cream. It's light and you can get at Sephora. It just evens out the imperfections, hyperpigmentation, discoloration, etc. I don't like anything too heavy and I wear it when I play tennis. I do use IT powder over it and it really is nice. I also like M. Asam Magic Finish which is kind of like a mousse but very light. You can also add a little more to certain areas for more coverage. It kind of turns to a a powder once applied so you don't really need anything else, but I still use the It Cosmetics powder (I forget the actual name but it's a collagen powder with a super groovy brush). I do have some lines around my eye area, so am pretty cautious about what I use and the Boscia with It seems to make everything look much more flawless (or as close to it as I can get at this point in my life).

I like the M. Asam Magic Finish from HSN, too. It's very natural looking. I use it in the sumemr or when I am going to get sweaty, and it looks great.

~Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle.~
~My Grandma's motto: Is it nice, is it true, would you like it said of you?~

CeeCee1370446696.09190 PostsRegistered 7/10/2005

Some suggestions, in order of lowest to highest cost. All come in 1 ounce bottles and have a pump, except for the Revlon Colorstay. Prices were taken from Drugstore.com and Sephora. :

Cover Girl Outlast Stay Fabulous $9.79

Revlon Colorstay in the Dry/Normal formula $12.99

L'Oreal Visible Lift Serum Absolute Advanced Age Reversing (The one described by SharonKay in post #4 in this thread) $15.79

Make Up Forever HD $42.00

Lancome Renergie Lift $45.00

I am over 50 and have skin that is dry in most areas but a bit oily on my chin and around my nose. I always use a light dusting of mineral powder to set my foundation. I have used all of these and like them all. My favorites on this list are the Revlon Colorstay Dry/Normal formula and the Lancome Renergie.

CeeCee

PinkSugar1370446797.8620082 PostsRegistered 7/29/2006

I like either Garnier BB Cream or Hard Candy CC cream. Neither looks like a mask. I think when you get old less is better.

Life is like a snowstorm...you'll meet a lot of flakes.

RedConvert­ibleGirl1370447315.96713038 PostsRegistered 9/3/2005Pacific NW

What is that Cover Girl one with the "swirls" in it that has Ellen DeGeneres in the ads? I've read that many people like that one.

When we shoulder the mantle of compassion no cry goes unheard and no wound goes unhealed. In this world of seemingly endless suffering we have to believe that no one is beyond hope of rescue. Scotlund Haisley, Animal Rescue Corps

dapooh11370447815.07389 PostsRegistered 12/2/2008

Patticakes, I'm 53 and also have T-zone issues and I absolutely LOVE Lancome Teint Idole Ultra 24 Hour foundation...great coverage, not cheap at $45 but worth it. The consultant at my local dept store hooked me up with the perfect shade for my skin. I use a makeup sponge to blend it and it looks wonderful on the skin.

Sadiesadie1370448553.56187 PostsRegistered 8/5/2011
On 6/5/2013 RedConvertibleGirl said:

What is that Cover Girl one with the "swirls" in it that has Ellen DeGeneres in the ads? I've read that many people like that one.

For me this one was awful. Settled into my pores. I have large pores on my nose and you could see the foundation as dots. Threw it away. I have an issue with many foundations doing that. Frustrating.

sunnysw1370448808.063136 PostsRegistered 11/5/2009

DIORSKIN AIRFLASH - go to Nordstoms.com - this has 62 reviews 5 stars- it is pricey, $62 but it is worth every penny!! I swear by this! I am 62 & live in the desert southwest - temps go to 115 & higher in the summer - low humidity, 15% average! I have extremely dry skin - this is like silk on the skin & lasts a LONG time! The initial investment may seem high, however, when you add up the price of all the other less expensive foundations you have tried & been disappointed with, you will find you have saved money!!

virgosun1370448865.421637 PostsRegistered 5/22/2012

Rochester Shopper Just the gal I am looking for! I wear the M Asam Perfect Tint II as my primer and was interested in finding out if their make-up is the same consistancy but with color. Do you happen to know? The primer makes my skin feel like silk, would love it if the make-up was similar. Hope you see this!!!! TIA

RedConvert­ibleGirl1370448986.4813038 PostsRegistered 9/3/2005Pacific NW

What is your price range? I'm assuming the department store brands mentioned here are too expensive?

When we shoulder the mantle of compassion no cry goes unheard and no wound goes unhealed. In this world of seemingly endless suffering we have to believe that no one is beyond hope of rescue. Scotlund Haisley, Animal Rescue Corps

virgosun1370449070.3131637 PostsRegistered 5/22/2012

RJB I see you use M Asam make-up too! Can you tell me if it the same consistancy as the Perfect Teint II primer? Would love to try this if they are alike. TIA

Princess_P­oo1370453894.86795 PostsRegistered 2/7/2009

My favorite foundation is Chanel Vitalumière Aqua. It’s not cheap initially, but you use very little and it stays all day so you don’t need to add more. I’m 58 and it doesn’t settle in any lines or wrinkles and adds hydration where I need it but it’s not oily. It's medium coverage but you can layer if you need more. Just remember to shake the bottle well before using.

Life is Short, Buy the Shoes

patticakes1370523017.81777 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Update-I would not like to spend more than $25.--less would be preferable.

JanDoll1370526219.2231085 PostsRegistered 6/9/2007

I found a great foundation at Kohl's - It's American Beauty Perfectly Even Natural Finish Foundation. I wear the Medium Cool in the winter and the Medium Deep Cool now. I'm blond/blue eyed, and 58, and it surprised me the first time I used it. It covers well, is dewy but not greasy, and doesn't settle in lines or feel heavy and mask-like. Best of all, I think it's $18.50, but there is always a coupon available if you go to the store-or online if you don't have a Kohl's near you.

The American Beauty line is made by the Estee Lauder Company I believe....good stuff. I am looking for less expensive alternatives as I have always bought the expensive lines. I thought I'd give this a try, and the first color I bought was wrong, and they took it as a return so that's a good thing too!!

HTH!!

Page 1 of 1