Holidays at Home
125 Members and 12152 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

My hair has gotten too soft! Help and suggestions needed....

Started 1369506548.023 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1369537255.13 by ThinkOutsideTheBox

So...

Since cutting a bunch of length off of my hair, switching to Ojon Damage Repair(poo&cond), and occasionally using Alterna's Caviar overnight treatment, my hair has become too soft in the last week or so. I had been doing all of these treatments because prior to about a week ago my hair was on the dryer side, and kept getting frizzy in the humidity outside. And now, while I'm happy that my hair seems to be, and looks much healthier. It's so soft that it's almost unmanageable. It's got very little body, and all of my hair seems kinda stuck to my head no matter what I do. Mousses, volumizers, blow drying have all only helped for a few hours, and then bloop, bloop, bloop, and my hair is soft as silk, flat, and just kind of hanging there. It won't really hold a style because it's just too soft. I hope that explains it. I never thought I'd be complaining about soft hair. :/

This has never happened to me before. So, I was hoping you ladies could offer some tips or advice regarding my too soft hair. TIA ~jl

Page 1 of 1
happy hous­ewife1369506768.96331477 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007

Why don't you stop using so many products and give your hair a rest for a few days - just wash and condition then see what it needs? Right now it sounds like you way over do the products trying to force your hair in to being what you want it to be . How about letting it rest and see what it needs and then try a lighter touch.

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

ThinkOutsi­deTheBox1369506793.331619 PostsRegistered 1/23/2011
Have you done anything else to it like used a color glaze (not color, but a glaze) or used true henna? Both of those would make the hair shaft lay down and be really slick in addition to the products you mentioned. Have you tried using a nice clarifying shampoo just once?

TheKateMei­ster1369506840.5872258 PostsRegistered 4/25/2012The Land of Pleasant Living
Lay off the conditioner just a bit, switching to every other day usage. The same thing happened to me when I found my HG shampoo & conditioner (Carol's Daughter Monoi) and easing up on the conditioner for a week or so evened things out. Generally, I can use conditioner every day but when this happens, or my hair gets oily too fast, I switch to every other day and it clears it up. HTH!

"How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours." ~ Wayne Dyer

30-ish; thick, straight hair; combo/oily skin.

jennlinn1369506946.2472060 PostsRegistered 2/17/2007
On 5/25/2013 AllAboutTech said: Have you done anything else to it like used a color glaze (not color, but a glaze) or used true henna? Both of those would make the hair shaft lay down and be really slick in addition to the products you mentioned. Have you tried using a nice clarifying shampoo just once?

I did recently get blonde highlights, 3wks ago. My hair was really dry after hence the damage repair stuff, and caviar treatment.

I didn't try a clarifying shampoo...I think that's a good idea though. Thanks :)

jennlinn1369507076.5932060 PostsRegistered 2/17/2007
On 5/25/2013 TheKateMeister said: Lay off the conditioner just a bit, switching to every other day usage. The same thing happened to me when I found my HG shampoo & conditioner (Carol's Daughter Monoi) and easing up on the conditioner for a week or so evened things out. Generally, I can use conditioner every day but when this happens, or my hair gets oily too fast, I switch to every other day and it clears it up. HTH!

Really?!
I've never not conditioned. Hmn. I'm worried my hair would be really tangly. But, I have to admit that for the last week, it has still felt very soft after washing. A conditioner skip sounds like a good idea too. Thank you!! You gals are the greatest on here :)

(Hope everyone's having a safe and fun Memorial Day Weekend)

Last edited on 5/25/2013

Last edited on 5/25/2013

TheKateMei­ster1369507176.6432258 PostsRegistered 4/25/2012The Land of Pleasant Living
I know - it sounds crazy! But it does work - just make sure to go into the showed with combed hair - no tangles - and you should be fine!

ThinkOutsi­deTheBox1369507218.9631619 PostsRegistered 1/23/2011
The highlights would not make it too soft. If anything, they would make it more prone to tangling and make the hair cuticle rougher. So, just try a clarifying shampoo, and then be more cautious about how much conditioner you use. Based on your description, it sounds like even though you think you may have had some damage that needed conditioning, your hair shaft may be fairly fine and gets overwhelmed with conditioners fairly quickly?

jennlinn1369507328.3672060 PostsRegistered 2/17/2007
On 5/25/2013 TheKateMeister said: I know - it sounds crazy! But it does work - just make sure to go into the showed with combed hair - no tangles - and you should be fine!

I'm doing it today then! :)

ThinkOutsi­deTheBox1369507357.0571619 PostsRegistered 1/23/2011
Ooh! And I have to add that I just found a product that really adds body to the hair. Garnier Fructis has a new product that is supposed to be a Volume Extend/Dry Shampoo product for fine or thin hair. Well, I use it in my curly thick hair along the scalp area, and wow! You may want to pick this up and use it along your scalp if you think your hair is laying flat on any given day.

MarieIG1369514703.243513 PostsRegistered 7/15/2007

I read (don't remember the name) one of those kindle downloads about haircare. The author mentioned switching up conditioners between hydrating/moisturizing and strengthening. The strengthening adds more protein to the hair, but makes it less soft. This would be, for example, one of the length and strengths hair conditioners.

Sorry, I'm not very technical, but I hope this helps.

MarieIG

Wife; mother of six (one military/ one law enforcement); three cats, and one dog. I enjoy reading about beauty, jewelry, fashion, and wellness.

luvmyteddy1369515890.9438497 PostsRegistered 9/4/2010Land of Oz

They taught us in BS to only deep condition once a month. It can really make your hair soft. I use the detangler spray for kids or the regular one instead or ojon and not a lot of products to weigh my hair down. I am sure there are some in-between conditioners not so heavy and as long as you rinse thoroughly it works. My hair is extremely long so it doesn't take a lot to weigh it down even more. I just started using living proof mousse but it takes very little. A little hairspray and small hot rollers give me a pretty good curl.

Katiesmom1369516987.0671304 PostsRegistered 9/13/2005

I can't condition my hair at all, otherwise it is so soft and flat and won't do a thing. If you must use it, make a ponytail shape in the back and only put it on the pony part.

lyla861369517255.603231 PostsRegistered 9/25/2011
Oribe texturizing spray really helps for me when I condition too much with wen.

ury1369517708.073013 PostsRegistered 2/27/2010Midwest - Western MO

Great advice here. I only condition the lower half of my hair. When the top gets dry from hair spray and root lifter, I lightly condition, then wash the top again. Some people condition first, then wash. Do you use root lifter? This helps fine hair, even if you have a lot of it.

Ury

jennlinn1369519676.692060 PostsRegistered 2/17/2007
On 5/25/2013 ury said:

Great advice here. I only condition the lower half of my hair. When the top gets dry from hair spray and root lifter, I lightly condition, then wash the top again. Some people condition first, then wash. Do you use root lifter? This helps fine hair, even if you have a lot of it.

I agree, lots of great advice here. Thank you all! (AllAboutTech - I'm going to try the Fructis Dry Shampoo you recommended. I've been looking for a good one.)

Ury, I've not used a root lifter recently. Do you have one you'd recommend?

TheKateMei­ster1369519847.82258 PostsRegistered 4/25/2012The Land of Pleasant Living
On 5/25/2013 jennlinn said:
On 5/25/2013 ury said:

I agree, lots of great advice here. Thank you all! (AllAboutTech - I'm going to try the Fructis Dry Shampoo you recommended. I've been looking for a good one.)

I have one I LOVE, jennlinn - Tigi Catwalk Your Highness root lifter rocks! I lift up sections and spray a line of it then massage in. Great product!

lavendar1369521168.1671337 PostsRegistered 7/13/2006

Nothing would make my extremely coarse, thick hair too soft.

But this might help you cut down on conditioning. A beautiful AA neighbor who goes natural for hair and who was the first Revlon consultant for women of color taught me this. At bedtime I take a very, very small bit of the old WEN oil (stocked up when he said he had a new uber expensive one coming in) and just touch it to the very ends of my hair. It's about a chin bob length now but did the same thing when it was longer. Absorbed right in and had no effect on flattening hair. Really reduced split ends. She said she'd get me what she uses at Beauty supply store when I run out. I use so little it lasts forever. I also sleep on a silk pillowcase becaue cotton absorbs natural oils.

I thought these ideas might help you use less treatment products.

CAshopper2­0111369521614.6033457 PostsRegistered 12/20/2009
On 5/25/2013 TheKateMeister said: I know - it sounds crazy! But it does work - just make sure to go into the showed with combed hair - no tangles - and you should be fine!
I agree wholeheartedly. If I use any kind of "leave in treatment" or "repairing treatment" my hair will be fine, limp and bodiless for days.

ThinkOutsi­deTheBox1369537255.131619 PostsRegistered 1/23/2011
On 5/25/2013 TheKateMeister said:
On 5/25/2013 jennlinn said:
On 5/25/2013 ury said:

I have one I LOVE, jennlinn - Tigi Catwalk Your Highness root lifter rocks! I lift up sections and spray a line of it then massage in. Great product!
Jennlinn, with the Garnier, you may not need a root lifter at all, but TheKateMeister, I will keep your Tigi recommendation in mind for my 78 year old mother. Poor thing has short, fine, straight, extremely thin hair. The Tigi might really help her out.

Page 1 of 1