TSV(R) Preview
172 Members and 11601 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Retin A...what moisturizer to use on top?

Started 1268832921 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1268940469.73 by KatherineW

I just received my various tubes of Retin A from alldaychemist. I remember you ladies talking about a moisturizer to put on top that does not have any active ingredients in it. It started with a "A" I believe?

Last night I put the Retin A over my Roc treatment that has retinol in it. I don't have any face moisturizer that doesn't have something in it like retinol, glycolic acid and vitamin C etc. I didn't have any bad reactions but I want to do this right and get that moisturizer. I break out easily so I hope the moisturizer starting with "A" doesn't break you out.   Thanks!

Page 1 of 1
shopchocho­lic1268833480.481513 PostsRegistered 9/2/2007

cetaphil and atopalm both dont seem to have actives in it. so either should do. I like cetaphil but I know many swear by the atopalm one.

4bellarose1268835222.787992 PostsRegistered 10/10/2009

Thank you. That is it....Atopalm. Cetaphil sounds good too. I'll look into both.

The Retin A "over" my Roc with retinol treatment actually turned out well. I like how my face looked this morning. I thought it might of turned all red and irritated but it's not. I wonder if the retinol in the Roc actually helped with the Retin A or deters it? I was too afraid to put on the Retin A first so I wanted a buffer. Tonight I will try it with the Retin A only.

Nascarfan481268837635.7831525 PostsRegistered 9/6/2009

alot of ladies also use Pond's Dry Skin Cream.  works great and nice and cheap

cassiem1268837732.7176658 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 3/17/2010 4bellarose said:

The Retin A "over" my Roc with retinol treatment actually turned out well. I like how my face looked this morning. I thought it might of turned all red and irritated but it's not. I wonder if the retinol in the Roc actually helped with the Retin A or deters it? I was too afraid to put on the Retin A first so I wanted a buffer. Tonight I will try it with the Retin A only.

You don't want to use the Retin A over the Roc retinol treatment!  Retinol and Retin A are both forms of vitamin a, they won't help or hinder each other, you're just increasing the strength of the active on your face which greatly increases the possibility of irritation. 

Buffering is using a gentle non-active moisturizer under the Retin A to reduce the chance of irritation, so using a cream with retinol is not really buffering since it contains an active ingredient.  If you want to buffer with something, it should be a cream or lotion without actives (no retinol, peptides, AHA, BHA), especially when you are first starting with Retin A. 

Even though it worked for one night and your skin looked great, I wouldn't recommend doing it again.  Irritation is cumulative.  You might not see it right away and then one morning you'll wake up with painful, red, flaky, angry skin.

Last edited on 3/17/2010

Last edited on 3/17/2010

matthew1268847113.243351 PostsRegistered 5/7/2007richmond ca

I use Retin A every other night and don't put anything on top.  On alternate evenings, I use Boscia's Hydration Night Cream.

OCGurl1268849452.6337405 PostsRegistered 8/2/2007Palm Desert, CA
On 3/17/2010 Nascarfan48 said:

alot of ladies also use Pond's Dry Skin Cream.  works great and nice and cheap

This is the one I like

but Atopalm is the one you are looking for :)

flycatcher­9101268853904.2431575 PostsRegistered 10/5/2008

Hi Everyone,

Another gentle cream is Eucerin dry skin creme. It comes in a tub. You can usually find a store brand version for this one.

There are two different Cetaphil moisturizers--one is a lotion that comes in a bottle, and the other one comes in a tub. Cetaphil has nut oils in it though, if anyone has any allergies or problems with nut oils.

All of these moisturizers are fragrance-free too. I have found them to be gentle too. I apply them really sparingly, and in a thin layer, as a little bit goes a long way. :)

4bellarose1268856938.36992 PostsRegistered 10/10/2009

Thank you everyone for your replies and suggestions. I just ordered "CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion PM" 3 oz size. It has peptides in it which is supposed to be good with Retin A. 

DutchGirl1268859687.56394 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004lost in laundry

4bellarose, my daugh who's a nurse & works in Derm, recommended CeraVe PM for me to use with my Retin A. I'm currently using .05% (gel) and when I asked if I should apply before or after my Retin A, she told me it was okay to mix the 2 together & then apply to my clean, dry face. I also use CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser.

Good luck!

qvcMel1268879702.84288 PostsRegistered 2/21/2008Texas

I have been using Phiosophy's Miracle Worker over my Retin A. is this okay or should I be using something else.

You haven't been ♥ loved ♥ until you have been loved by a shelter pet!

Bella HS1268880652.128076 PostsRegistered 12/17/2007East Hampton, NY

Where can Cerave PM be purchased?

DutchGirl1268913607.48394 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004lost in laundry

Bella, I get my CeraVe goodies from my local CVS. I believe Walgreens & RiteAids also carries the line. Of course, there are many online shops too, like Amazon and Drugstore.com

mjfan1268913717.493160 PostsRegistered 1/5/2010

I got my 6-tubes as well! I got the .05--I should have got 2-of each strength---don't know what I was thinking! heh

I am using Hope in a Jar---is that OK?? Or I can use Marylin Miglin's Ginseng Moistuizer which I love--it's "cheap" and has a very 'fluffy' feel! Smells good, too!

Judaline1268914089.65715223 PostsRegistered 8/26/2006street of dreams

You said you were going to apply the retin a again tonight. If you're just starting, I believe you should at least skip one day in between-just when starting.

Faith-Anne1268921862.971217 PostsRegistered 2/25/2005Jersey Shore

Another great cream that comes in a 160z tub for about 15 dollars is CeraVe....It has no actives and is terrific....

Faith-Anne - 50 dry menopausal skin - cool/fair - blue/green eyes.

4bellarose1268927462.457992 PostsRegistered 10/10/2009

I'm so glad I ordered the CeraVe (I got the PM one). Thanks for the feedback on it. I got it through drugstore dot com. I hope it comes soon. It says it's non-comedogenic so my fingers are crossed that it doesn't break me out.

Last night I just put the Retin A on my skin and nothing else. The only place I added some moisturizer (body lotion with no actives) was in the area above my lip/below my nose. About an hour after I applied my Retin A that area above my lip felt irritated so I put the lotion on that area only. In the morning my skin looked great and definitely brighter. No new break outs or bumps. A little flaky under my nose/above lip area though (even though I applied that lotion).

The one I used was the Retin A .025

I got 5 various tubes (I wish I even ordered more). I have a big face!!!LOL  And I want to use it on my face, neck, chest and hands.

I got .025 x1,,,, .040 x1,,,,, .050 x2,,,,, .1 x1 (I wanted to try various ones since I never used it before). 

I'll skip tonight since I don't have my CeraVa PM yet (to be safe). But so far so good.

OCGurl1268927959.477405 PostsRegistered 8/2/2007Palm Desert, CA
On 3/17/2010 qvcMel said:

I have been using Phiosophy's Miracle Worker over my Retin A. is this okay or should I be using something else.

Mel, check the ingredient listing to make sure it has no other actives like Retinol, Alpha Hydroxy Acids, Copper, or other acids.

Vit C, Copper or peptides are okay after your skin is acclimated with Retin A, but so that it causes no irritation Retin A is best alone or with just a plain moisturizer or facial oil like squalane, etc

HTH :)

OCGurl1268928041.417405 PostsRegistered 8/2/2007Palm Desert, CA
On 3/18/2010 mjfan said:

I got my 6-tubes as well! I got the .05--I should have got 2-of each strength---don't know what I was thinking! heh

I am using Hope in a Jar---is that OK?? Or I can use Marylin Miglin's Ginseng Moistuizer which I love--it's "cheap" and has a very 'fluffy' feel! Smells good, too!

MJFan - Sorry did a copy and paste on this one as I answered QVCMel the same question: Not alot of spare time today :)

check the ingredient listing to make sure it has no other actives like Retinol, Alpha Hydroxy Acids, Copper, or other acids.

Vit C, Copper or peptides are okay after your skin is acclimated with Retin A, but so that it causes no irritation Retin A is best alone or with just a plain moisturizer or facial oil like squalane, etc

iachick1268932966.983098 PostsRegistered 9/1/2008

I'm loving the CeraVe PM lotion, too. Also picked up the CeraVe cleanser at Walgreen's and it's very nice, as well.

KatherineW1268934238.73728130 PostsRegistered 3/16/2009Alabamian by Birth; Southern By The Grace of God
On 3/18/2010 4bellarose said:

I'm so glad I ordered the CeraVe (I got the PM one). Thanks for the feedback on it. I got it through drugstore dot com. I hope it comes soon. It says it's non-comedogenic so my fingers are crossed that it doesn't break me out.

Last night I just put the Retin A on my skin and nothing else. The only place I added some moisturizer (body lotion with no actives) was in the area above my lip/below my nose. About an hour after I applied my Retin A that area above my lip felt irritated so I put the lotion on that area only. In the morning my skin looked great and definitely brighter. No new break outs or bumps. A little flaky under my nose/above lip area though (even though I applied that lotion).

The one I used was the Retin A .025

I got 5 various tubes (I wish I even ordered more). I have a big face!!!LOL  And I want to use it on my face, neck, chest and hands.

I got .025 x1,,,, .040 x1,,,,, .050 x2,,,,, .1 x1 (I wanted to try various ones since I never used it before). 

I'll skip tonight since I don't have my CeraVa PM yet (to be safe). But so far so good.

Your dermatologist may differ,but mine has said for the past 4 years not to use Retin A below your jaw line. Also, I have spoken with many women who use nothing with RA.....no moisturizers....nuttin. If I am feeling extremely dry I might add a little something at least 30 min after application of your Retin A.

4bellarose1268937351.377992 PostsRegistered 10/10/2009

Flaky, flake, flake face!!!! I got out of the shower today and my whole face was flaky. I even used an extra gentle buff puff in the shower. Now I know what you ladies mean with Retin A and flakes! It didn't look that flaky before my shower.

Interesting about not using Retin A below your jawline. I didn't know that.

KatherineW1268940469.7328130 PostsRegistered 3/16/2009Alabamian by Birth; Southern By The Grace of God

I have used .1% RA for almost 4 years. Never had any peeling or redness.....ever. I ordered from ADC last time (yes, I admitted this previously as I WAS vehemently opposed)...anyway.....I swear what I am getting from them is a stronger .1% than my previous RA .1% from my pharmacy. I am flaking and peeling like it's 1977. Mainly happens after cold weather (chapped),but I am telling you it is BAD!! I went to my pharmacist ( not admitting it was ADC RA) and she recommended Eucerin Cream 2-3 times a day and no RA for a week. It worked great until a cold snap over this past weekend. I have wet a washcloth and scrubbed and this helps some, but I hate being that rough on my face. Today=no peeling.....go figure. I am slowly adding my Dr. Denese blue cream, Microdelivery Pads from Phil, and Chanel Precision eye and lips creams.

I have that appointment next week to see about Juvederm above upper lip so I will quiz the M.D. about what's happening. He's probably going to tell me to save my money that a facelift will cure it all.

Page 1 of 1