Spring & Summer Beauty
48 Members and 12317 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Snail Secretion Filtrate - IT CC Cream, back it goes. Ewwww

Started 1365639371.253 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1365820739.21 by shoekitty

I read some posts that this was in there but by then my order was on the way. Arrived today and the SECOND ingredient is Snail Secretion Filtrate. I can't even bring myself to swatch it. I don't care if these snails lived in beds of rose petals, nope, no way, not this girl.

A complete beauty addict who enjoys herself immensely!

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next
jennlinn1365640235.752059 PostsRegistered 2/17/2007

I'm with you on that. Thankfully, I found out prior to ordering.

KatCat11365640503.00715818 PostsRegistered 7/21/2011

I don't blame you. It totally grosses me out and I would not want it on my skin.

jennlinn1365640928.2232059 PostsRegistered 2/17/2007

I found several articles stating the benefits of snail secretion in skincare. And I understand it's a hot ingredient at the moment.

But, I'm with you ladies, the "Ick factor" is just too much for me, and I don't want it on my skin, at all.

KrissieK1365641177.653821 PostsRegistered 2/14/2012South Florida

What I find interesting is that they actually call it snail secretion in the ingredient deck and not give it come name that n one knows. Tarte uses carmine in some of their blushes which is bugs gone through some type of chemical process. I know that Dr. Perricone uses urea, which I believe is urine or a substance in urine.

At least It says it up front. It doesn't bother me but I did not puchase it and won't purchase it unless it comes in a kit I want.

LuluCCS1365641358.463870 PostsRegistered 12/3/2011Corn country
On 4/10/2013 KrissieK said:

What I find interesting is that they actually call it snail secretion in the ingredient deck and not give it come name that n one knows. Tarte uses carmine in some of their blushes which is bugs gone through some type of chemical process. I know that Dr. Perricone uses urea, which I believe is urine or a substance in urine.

At least It says it up front. It doesn't bother me but I did not puchase it and won't purchase it unless it comes in a kit I want.

Urea is another ingredient that makes me nuts. Yes, it is from urine. Again, I don't care how many filtration plants it goes through!

Rowdymom1365641690.913085 PostsRegistered 6/20/2005SE PA
On 4/10/2013 LuluCCS said:

Urea is another ingredient that makes me nuts. Yes, it is from urine. Again, I don't care how many filtration plants it goes through!

Interestingly enough, Paula gives it a "good" rating as an ingredient.

Rating:
Good
Categories:
Leave-On Exfoliant , Skin-Identical/Repairing Ingredients
Component of urine, although synthetic versions are used in cosmetics. In small amounts urea has good water-binding and exfoliating properties for skin; in larger concentrations it can cause inflammation (Source: Skin Pharmacology and Applied Skin Physiology, January-February 2002, pages 44–54).
I guess the only time it could become a concern is if it's in the ingredient deck of an all natural cosmetic.

blonde/gray, blue-gray, dry combination, neutral beige. WEN, Somerville, Clinique

Mochahoney1365641887.361946 PostsRegistered 7/31/2007Mississippi

you might be very surprised at what is used to produce many cosmetic and skincare products. if you really want to know, google common disgusting ingredients in cosmetics and you'll get an education.

Linus: I love mankind! It's people I can't stand!

KrissieK1365642578.38821 PostsRegistered 2/14/2012South Florida
On 4/10/2013 Mochahoney said:

you might be very surprised at what is used to produce many cosmetic and skincare products. if you really want to know, google common disgusting ingredients in cosmetics and you'll get an education.

Exactly. Not just cosmetics and skincare either. Check out the weird/gross things they put in food.

LuluCCS1365643993.09870 PostsRegistered 12/3/2011Corn country
On 4/10/2013 Rowdymom said:

Rating:
Good
Categories:
Component of urine, although synthetic versions are used in cosmetics. In small amounts urea has good water-binding and exfoliating properties for skin; in larger concentrations it can cause inflammation (Source: Skin Pharmacology and Applied Skin Physiology, January-February 2002, pages 44–54).
I guess the only time it could become a concern is if it's in the ingredient deck of an all natural cosmetic.

Then she can put it all over her face! I wasn't debating whether it was good or not. Sheesh.

suzyQ31365644314.1422915 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007

Rating:
Good
Categories:

It's so common that I've never thought twice about the use of urea in cosmetics. It doesn't bother me at all.

I guess I have a high threshold when it comes to what might sound somewhat yucky. That said, I don't use IT cosmetics. But I would not NOT use a product with snail slime in it if I truly were convinced by the science behind its efficacy.

Rowdymom1365644323.23313085 PostsRegistered 6/20/2005SE PA

Rating:
Good
Categories:

Then she can put it all over her face! I wasn't debating whether it was good or not. Sheesh.

I wasn't debating it either. However once I found that the urea used in cosmetics is synthetic and not derived from urine, it became much less objectionable than snail slime.

Last edited on 4/10/2013

Last edited on 4/10/2013

blonde/gray, blue-gray, dry combination, neutral beige. WEN, Somerville, Clinique

jana1365645169.55109 PostsRegistered 5/13/2007

I'm a nurse, so I wear urea and urine often. But usually not on my face. Haha. But I don't know that I'd choose it. Thankfully, I choose to be oblivious about what's in my products.

c_la_vee1365645523.9271832 PostsRegistered 9/2/2009
Icky yes but I would rather smear it on my face than eat it, such as escargots. Yuk my father made me eat one! Yuk yuk. As far as urea, anybody who swam in a public swimming pool or even a crowded beach had gotten urea ALL over them, believe me, and probably , swallowed some too. Ew LOL

KateChopin1365646632.413211 PostsRegistered 1/17/2010

She should have called it "oil de escargot" on the ingredient list.

CuzimGRACE1365655412.3778 PostsRegistered 2/13/2012
Perhaps there should be a warning after application instructions... "DO NOT WASH CC CREAM OFF WITH A SALT EXFOLIATE". hehe

Mar57751365656903.0132318 PostsRegistered 10/11/2006Broomall, PA not to far from the Q

Rating:
Good
Categories:

Sheesh...I don't think she was ever debating but telling us whether it was good or bad she was saying what Paula B. said and it is true, urea is a very good old time ingredient in MANY things...go look you will see it's in more of your products and you would never have known. Good little clip about urea info people may not have known.

Please don't tell me I've made a grammatical error...I hunt and peck - it's only a message board :)!

aubnwa011365656975.816617 PostsRegistered 10/18/2004Cortaro, AZ

Rating:
Good
Categories:

I always check the ingredients in anything that I put near my face, as anything with urea, imidazolidinyl urea or any of its variants, makes me break out in hive-like bumps. I 1st discovered it didn't agree with me when I used a cheapo Suave shampoo about 30 years ago & started breaking out on my neck & around my hairline & found thru process of elimination that it was the urea & then, I found it was in a lot of creams & lotions after some broke me out really bad. I made the mistake of buying a mascara once w/o checking the ingredients, thinking the urea was only in shampoos, lotions & creams, etc. & after a day or so of using it, my eyes puffed up to the point I could barely see. I removed all my makeup at work & since I no longer had the card that the mascara had come on with the ingredient list, I stopped at a drugstore & checked it & sure enough, there it was. So now, I watch like a hawk for that ingredient & avoid at all costs.

My mom said I had really bad diaper rashes as a little baby, even with scrupulous changing & use of ointments & powders & now I wonder if it was actually the urea allergy?

"Always Be A Little Kinder Than Necessary"-James M. Barrie

shoekitty1365656985.86311507 PostsRegistered 8/10/2006

Urea, sometimes referred to as carbamide, is produced in mammalian systems when proteins are broken down. It is excreted in the urine of mammals. The Urea found in cosmetics and personal care products is synthetic and not animal derived.

In addition to its use in cosmetics and personal care products, Urea has a number of food uses, including its use as a fermentation aid in bakery products and wine.

In the 70's I know they used a protien derived from the protein component in Donkey urine. They used it a lot in perms to soften and break down resistant hair, and in some shampoos and conditioners. The old Jerimack used this in custom perm solutions, and in their shampoo.

I think anything from a snail is gross. They are kinda cute at a distance, but they gross me out because I think of slugs and slugs make me think of Banana Slugs. If you have ever ran into a 12 inch Banana slug, you haven't lived. OMG, one of my phobias

life is a banquet and most poor fools are starving to death!"
Auntie Mame

JBinRWC1365657746.7377718 PostsRegistered 1/26/2008Northern CA
On 4/10/2013 shoekitty said:

Urea, sometimes referred to as carbamide, is produced in mammalian systems when proteins are broken down. It is excreted in the urine of mammals. The Urea found in cosmetics and personal care products is synthetic and not animal derived.

In addition to its use in cosmetics and personal care products, Urea has a number of food uses, including its use as a fermentation aid in bakery products and wine.

In the 70's I know they used a protien derived from the protein component in Donkey urine. They used it a lot in perms to soften and break down resistant hair, and in some shampoos and conditioners. The old Jerimack used this in custom perm solutions, and in their shampoo.

I think anything from a snail is gross. They are kinda cute at a distance, but they gross me out because I think of slugs and slugs make me think of Banana Slugs. If you have ever ran into a 12 inch Banana slug, you haven't lived. OMG, one of my phobias

Banana slugs are so disgusting. Ewwww!

I tried the IT primer which contains the snail secretion if I remember correctly. Didn't really bother me but I did not like the product at all. Have not researched at all to check the potential benefits. Love eating snails so wasn't too put off by the ingredient. But I can understand why it might be disturbing to others.

Mar57751365661845.9732318 PostsRegistered 10/11/2006Broomall, PA not to far from the Q
On 4/10/2013 shoekitty said:

o m gosh....we have slugs even in the cold winters sometimes here in PA! ODD and in summer/fall I step on them if out on my deck w/bare feet...it has to be the hardest thing next to super glue to remove GROSS ME OUT. I don't think they are cute at all, you're kind to say that about these critters even from a distance lol but a 12 inch banana slug would have me very ill. I can do anything in my Nursing field and have seen horrific things, but this long kind of banana slug would make me nauseated....even talking about this makes me feel ill.

Oh, I use the CC today and liked it, came off thick but fine with me-- not drying :) very yellow but it morphed into my skin and did a good job - full coverage and I didn't even think of snail secretion in it until reading all of this! I like it enough to keep even though it does that 'stuff' in it since it has a great spf and I feel protects well for a foundation when just out and about but not direct sun long periods. I know I will be thinking of snail stuff as I slap it on today!

Please don't tell me I've made a grammatical error...I hunt and peck - it's only a message board :)!

Mistic1365661992.671155 PostsRegistered 12/1/2007

I googled, and saw a photo of a woman at a spa, and a giant snail was going across her forehead. No. Not. Ewww! As a child I would hang over the seawall in my backyard, and capture the pretty colored snails. I would watch them "slime" their way back over the wall. I'm old now, and putting that on my face is just not going to happen. For those who use the product, and like the results, I hope it does wonders for your skin. I really do.

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey

BlingQueen­0221365662199.6373762 PostsRegistered 9/23/2012

This is the best product since sliced white bread. Looks way better on the face then the Tarte Powder Foundation that's for sure. Gives you a nice natural look. I really don't care about the snails, in fact, I thank them for making me look so good

Mar57751365663492.62318 PostsRegistered 10/11/2006Broomall, PA not to far from the Q
On 4/11/2013 BlingQueen022 said:

This is the best product since sliced white bread. Looks way better on the face then the Tarte Powder Foundation that's for sure. Gives you a nice natural look. I really don't care about the snails, in fact, I thank them for making me look so good

well put and cute post.

yesterday I was speaking to someone - she said I look ed more like I was be in my mid 40's or something and I'm 56.....I had this CC on w/ my It's matte bronzer and other war paint, so I will overlook it as you will :) even though slugs/snails etc. make me sick just thinking about them!

BlingQueen­0221365665903.4273762 PostsRegistered 9/23/2012
On 4/11/2013 Mar5775 said:
On 4/11/2013 BlingQueen022 said:

well put and cute post.

yesterday I was speaking to someone - she said I look ed more like I was be in my mid 40's or something and I'm 56.....I had this CC on w/ my It's matte bronzer and other war paint, so I will overlook it as you will :) even though slugs/snails etc. make me sick just thinking about them!

I'm glad you like the product. I'm 59 and so far, no wrinkles yet, so this product works for me well. The only thing I don't like is the smell of it, but it goes away fast. Have a great day and make it a safe one!

Harpa1365680761.8976896 PostsRegistered 6/28/2007

It's times likes these when I'm glad I don't need or wear foundation, CC or BB creams! I didn't realize snails were a top ingredient in the new CC cream. I wonder if she would have marketed it that way, I wonder how many would be so adventurous as to try it.

I'm not against snails per say; I'm just glad I'm an herb/plant kind of gal.

I sort of equate snails with emu oil, and that is one that I don't plan on trying, either.

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next