Creede Silver Sale
140 Members and 16611 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Can you alternate glycolic and retinol?

Started 1365433935.347 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1365535753.41 by Mar5775

I've been using AH 10% glycolic cream and have just started using a non-prescription 1% retinol cream. Since it says not to start off using the retinol every night I have been alternating the two, followed by my moisturizer. Is this okay to do? So far my skin seems fine. I used Retin A back when I had oily skin and it was a disaster, constant redness, peeling and flaking. I'm hoping this routine will brighten up my slightly dry complexion. TIA

Page 1 of 1
virgosun1365435846.4131888 PostsRegistered 5/22/2012

Any thoughts on this before my post slips away to page 2 LOL

depglass1365436001.37323981 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

I have a thought but no good info. Since your skin seems to have gone from oily to dry, all you can do is try this routine and see what happens. What are the odds of another poster having the exact same conditions and using the exact same products? Not good.

BellaCarro1365436063.6078050 PostsRegistered 10/1/2011Atlanta

How long exactly have you been using it? I might be concerned it's a tad aggressive.

Harpa1365437794.47603 PostsRegistered 6/28/2007

franv, you mean you are using the AH one night and then the retinol the next night? Why wouldn't that be okay to do? You're not using both together, or that might be too aggressive. If your skin is happy with the alternation, then just continue.

I think what you are saying is that you want to avoid what you did in the past in using the Retin A, which may have been every night. Maybe it was too strong or not the right formula for you as well.

You might also want to think about a lower strength retinol, especially if you are more on the dry side. Retinol inhibits oil production. You really don't want to inhibit that to the point of being dry. You want to strive for perfect balance.

virgosun1365438480.631888 PostsRegistered 5/22/2012

Thanks gals. I am alternating them night to night but would eventually just like to be on retinol alone and see how it works if I use it daily. I've just started this routine so I'll keep you posted.

YoUrBloNde­131365438746.31999 PostsRegistered 6/26/2008

This is way too harsh for your skin especially if your skin is on the drier side! Both are meant to slough off dead skin cells and promote cell turnover and your skin might be handling it fine at first but it's just going to wear the skin down and can be irritating after a while. On almost all prescription retinoids (I know yours is over-the-counter) it warns against using glycolics and other acids while using retinol. If you want to get the benefit of both I would do retinol every other night for a week--give the weekend off--then do glycolic the following week only a few days and switch off and on. that way you're at least giving your skin the weekend to recuperate. Both of these ingredients are strong and need to be used cautiously. If your skin is dry and you get irritated you have a potential to really damage it or even develop roseasa.

"i DoN't MiNd LiVinG iN a MaN's wORld aS lOnG aS i cAn bE a wOMaN iN iT" ~m.monroe

virgosun1365477127.1131888 PostsRegistered 5/22/2012

Read up on this after I googled re using the two products and there is no problem as long as you are not using them at the same time. Some people have even been told by their derms to use glycolic am and retin A pm. Also found an article in O Magazine by the beauty editor that said she used 18% glycolic one night and Retin A the next. So I think I am okay since my retinol cream is non prescription so not that strong and my glycolic is 10%. Thanks for all of your advice. Just wanted to let you know what I had discovered.

Rowdymom1365477369.11313090 PostsRegistered 6/20/2005SE PA

I've alternated AHAs and Retinoids for years with no ill effects. I used Dr D's pads alternating with Retin A 0.25%. Now I'm alternating Dr D and KS RetAspere

Last edited on 4/8/2013

Last edited on 4/8/2013

blonde/gray, blue-gray, dry combination, neutral beige. WEN, Somerville, Clinique

Mar57751365493774.872353 PostsRegistered 10/11/2006Broomall, PA not to far from the Q
On 4/8/2013 YoUrBloNde13 said:

This is way too harsh for your skin especially if your skin is on the drier side! Both are meant to slough off dead skin cells and promote cell turnover and your skin might be handling it fine at first but it's just going to wear the skin down and can be irritating after a while. On almost all prescription retinoids (I know yours is over-the-counter) it warns against using glycolics and other acids while using retinol. If you want to get the benefit of both I would do retinol every other night for a week--give the weekend off--then do glycolic the following week only a few days and switch off and on. that way you're at least giving your skin the weekend to recuperate. Both of these ingredients are strong and need to be used cautiously. If your skin is dry and you get irritated you have a potential to really damage it or even develop roseasa.

I feel the same as you do about this and only use PTR at night....no more aha's at all. My skin is light and even with sunscreen (mineral and lots of it) I still get sunpots from incidental sun!!! arghhhh

Too many actives are not good for skin. Look at some old people who used nothing like people use now..it's overkill. I know many who have nice skin at 90+ and I ask what was their trick was and they say nothing! I used Ponds Cold cream! lol

Please don't tell me I've made a grammatical error...I hunt and peck - it's only a message board :)!

Zcat1365505743.042700 PostsRegistered 2/3/2010Florida
On 4/9/2013 Mar5775 said:

I feel the same as you do about this and only use PTR at night....no more aha's at all. My skin is light and even with sunscreen (mineral and lots of it) I still get sunpots from incidental sun!!! arghhhh

Too many actives are not good for skin. Look at some old people who used nothing like people use now..it's overkill. I know many who have nice skin at 90+ and I ask what was their trick was and they say nothing! I used Ponds Cold cream! lol

But that's not true for ALLLLLL the 'old people' who didn't use anything. Some look pretty bad -- like they could have benefitted from some AHAs or retinols. I do think some people overwork their skin, but some of the new products are beneficial.

Last edited on 4/9/2013

Last edited on 4/9/2013

marlavm1365508592.30359 PostsRegistered 5/20/2006

I alternate nightly Walgreens Alpha Hydrox lotion and Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Night. I take Sunday's off and use just plain moisturizer. So far I am pleased with the results.

Rowdymom1365512079.7813090 PostsRegistered 6/20/2005SE PA
On 4/9/2013 Mar5775 said:
On 4/8/2013 YoUrBloNde13 said: <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto;"> This is way too harsh for your skin especially if your skin is on the drier side! Both are meant to slough off dead skin cells and promote cell turnover and your skin might be handling it fine at first but it's just going to wear the skin down and can be irritating after a while. On almost all prescription retinoids (I know yours is over-the-counter) it warns against using glycolics and other acids while using retinol. If you want to get the benefit of both I would do retinol every other night for a week--give the weekend off--then do glycolic the following week only a few days and switch off and on. that way you're at least giving your skin the weekend to recuperate. Both of these ingredients are strong and need to be used cautiously. If your skin is dry and you get irritated you have a potential to really damage it or even develop roseasa.

I feel the same as you do about this and only use PTR at night....no more aha's at all. My skin is light and even with sunscreen (mineral and lots of it) I still get sunpots from incidental sun!!! arghhhh

Too many actives are not good for skin. Look at some old people who used nothing like people use now..it's overkill. I know many who have nice skin at 90+ and I ask what was their trick was and they say nothing! I used Ponds Cold cream! lol

The old people with amazing skin were raised and lived in a different world. Less pollution, a thicker ozone and fewer processed foods. The ingredients we're all using were developed in response to skin issues related to these assaults. My mother had amazing skin when she died a 94. Due to sun damage, I have discoloration and premature signs of aging that need to be addressed.

blonde/gray, blue-gray, dry combination, neutral beige. WEN, Somerville, Clinique

AngelSlaps­Alot1365513150.137206 PostsRegistered 5/17/2008
I alternate using AHA and Retin A. I use MD Formulations continuous renewal serum 2 nights then on the 3rd I use Retin A Micro. This combo is the only thing that has helped me, I have had very oily and acne prone skin since I was about 12, I will turn 30 soon. My problem is more hormonal and have had things tested like thyroid levels but I'm mostly normal (whatever that means lol). Yes these are strong products but out of everything this is what helps me :) It's not perfect but with my derms help this is the best I can do. If you have dry skin moisturizing will probably go a long way. And maybe try to use aha once per week?

Mar57751365535753.3932353 PostsRegistered 10/11/2006Broomall, PA not to far from the Q
On 4/9/2013 Zcat said:
On 4/9/2013 Mar5775 said:

I feel the same as you do about this and only use PTR at night....no more aha's at all. My skin is light and even with sunscreen (mineral and lots of it) I still get sunpots from incidental sun!!! arghhhh

Too many actives are not good for skin. Look at some old people who used nothing like people use now..it's overkill. I know many who have nice skin at 90+ and I ask what was their trick was and they say nothing! I used Ponds Cold cream! lol

But that's not true for ALLLLLL the 'old people' who didn't use anything. Some look pretty bad -- like they could have benefitted from some AHAs or retinols. I do think some people overwork their skin, but some of the new products are beneficial.

Last edited on 4/9/2013

true! but that was why I had said "some" . I'd like to do a peel on so many elderly family members but no way...it's PONDS all the way lol

Please don't tell me I've made a grammatical error...I hunt and peck - it's only a message board :)!

Page 1 of 1