New Holiday Decor
129 Members and 14058 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Let's chat about Snail Secretion...

Started 1365180245.71 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1365298952.127 by Midnight Shadow

I know it's kind of the ingredient of the moment, but my question is: How can a brand consider themselves cruelty free when they use an ingredient such as this?

It Cosmetics responded to an email that I sent asking this question and they said they are cruelty free because they do no animal testing. I asked if snails were harmed during the extraction process, and they did not answer. I know very little about this ingredients features and benefits. It grosses me out a little bit(the thought of putting it on my face anyway).

So, what are the features and benefits of this ingredient? And are snails harmed in the process? Can a brand call themselves cruelty free when using an ingredient like this? (I can't imagine that the snails like having their secretions extracted, and who knows if it causes them pain or health problems or death?) I have no idea but would love to hear your thoughts and opinions regarding this.

TIA ~jl

Page 1 of 2
little mis­s sunshine1365180622.4832448 PostsRegistered 10/13/2006

I know Zero about snails and snail's secretion. At least it's natural! {#emotions_dlg.crying}

jennlinn1365180806.9472060 PostsRegistered 2/17/2007
On 4/5/2013 little miss sunshine said:

I know Zero about snails and snail's secretion. At least it's natural! {#emotions_dlg.crying}

I'm right there with you, little miss sunshine...

I only know that it's ingredient number one in IT Cosmetics new CC Cream.

I'm hoping some of our resident ingredient whizes will chime in with some info on this ingredient.

HappyDaze1365180835.1716696 PostsRegistered 6/13/2012

Yes, I spoke with PETA about this and cruelty free ONLY means they don't TEST on animals. It does not mean that they don't use animal-derived ingredients and IT cosmetics DOES use animal derived ingredients (their collagen is derived from fish and, of course, they use snail secretion).

It is unfortunate because I feel cruelty free should also include not KILLING a living creature for ingredients in your products but what do I know?

And I know many don't consider snails or fish as "animals" but they are. My biggest concern about using fish products is the means in which they are sourced- so many fish are caught using various methods that also capture tons of other animals, like Dolphins, Sea turtles, sharks, starfish, etc and those die as a result. For example, do you know that for every one pound of shrimp caught, there is TEN pounds of by-catch caught?? Bycatch is things like Sea turtles, dolphins, etc, basically other animals that are not the target item. Pretty sad, eh?

Last edited on 4/5/2013

Last edited on 4/5/2013

WenGirl421365181056.8172334 PostsRegistered 7/5/2012

I really thought this was going to be about the poster :D

But since it's not...I would imagine at the very least that they must be kept in some sort of captivity so that the excretion can be harvested (for lack of a better word). Whatever else might happen to them in order to stimulate the excretion or to collect it.

Is there a standard understanding of what "cruelty free" means and would it preclude this sort of farming/harvesting? Maybe that's the difference between a "cruelty free" product and a "vegan" product.

gazelle771365181178.2579741 PostsRegistered 3/1/2013

Is this similar to slug secretion?? Living in the Pacific NW we have a lot of slugs... should I be capturing them and harvesting their slim to use as a mask.... am I missing out on a great free beauty idea???

~~Always remember--
You're braver than you believe
And stronger than you seem
And smarter than you think~
~Pooh

jwabbit1365182939.0570 PostsRegistered 1/3/2013

I've been using snail products for about a year. I don't really mention it in public because there are always people who say how gross it is and that they will never put that kind of stuff on their face, etc., so basically, I get h3ll for it.

I share this with you and ask, kindly, that you have an open mind.

Personally, I have no problem with with using snail extract. It may be a cultural thing as I was introduced to eating escargot/snails, caviar/fish eggs, beef tongue, frog legs, and more, at a young age. By the way, I do not eat cats, dogs, squirrels, etc. so please, do not go there either. If you are wondering, I was a vegetarian for much of my adult life, but I currently eat meat.

From my understanding, these cultivated, garden-variety French beauty snails are fed Korean ginseng and their slime is extracted / harvested naturally as the snails move around. I suspect they sprinkle them with water, like it's raining, to get them to move. They say it takes about 6 hours to get 1 gram. The slime is then filtered and processed for cosmetic purposes.

The snail slime is said to be rich in hyaluronic acid, copper peptides, amino acids, and anti-oxidants.

Since I've been using the snail products, my skin has been the best that it has ever been - hydrated, smooth, and clear. Skin care and cosmetics are always a choice - that's why there are so many things on the market - and for someone with a lot of allergies, sensitive, hyperpigmented and clog-proned skin, I am happy that I found them.

I have not tried the IT Cosmetics No. 50 serum primer and probably won't because with so many ingredients, there is bound to be something that I'll be allergic to and break out in a rash or hives.

Thank you for your time.

bljed1365183313.0977164 PostsRegistered 1/29/2008

I had done some 'research' on the snail slime ingredient last year. I had read time and again that the snails are not harmed or killed to make any of these products. They just basically collect the slime thats naturally excreted.

x-x-o-o1365183517.0071131 PostsRegistered 7/24/2006

Found this...

http://www.today.com/id/43911194/ns/today-style/t/snailed-it-snail-slime-face-cream-hot-beauty-trend/

To produce their coveted slime, snails are exposed to “safe mechanical stress,” in which they’re stimulated repeatedly during a life cycle. The obtained slime is then filtered numerous times until it’s finally packaged for human consumption. Companies such as Labcconte USA use their own snail farms to guarantee secretion purity, and return the slowpokes to their hatcheries after the extraction process.

Last edited on 4/5/2013

howwhatwhen1365183693.793041 PostsRegistered 9/6/2007
On 4/5/2013 jwabbit said:

I've been using snail products for about a year. I don't really mention it in public because there are always people who say how gross it is and that they will never put that kind of stuff on their face, etc., so basically, I get h3ll for it.

I share this with you and ask, kindly, that you have an open mind.

Personally, I have no problem with with using snail extract. It may be a cultural thing as I was introduced to eating escargot/snails, caviar/fish eggs, beef tongue, frog legs, and more, at a young age. By the way, I do not eat cats, dogs, squirrels, etc. so please, do not go there either. If you are wondering, I was a vegetarian for much of my adult life, but I currently eat meat.

From my understanding, these cultivated, garden-variety French beauty snails are fed Korean ginseng and their slime is extracted / harvested naturally as the snails move around. I suspect they sprinkle them with water, like it's raining, to get them to move. They say it takes about 6 hours to get 1 gram. The slime is then filtered and processed for cosmetic purposes.

The snail slime is said to be rich in hyaluronic acid, copper peptides, amino acids, and anti-oxidants.

Since I've been using the snail products, my skin has been the best that it has ever been - hydrated, smooth, and clear. Skin care and cosmetics are always a choice - that's why there are so many things on the market - and for someone with a lot of allergies, sensitive, hyperpigmented and clog-proned skin, I am happy that I found them.

I have not tried the IT Cosmetics No. 50 serum primer and probably won't because with so many ingredients, there is bound to be something that I'll be allergic to and break out in a rash or hives.

Thank you for your time.

Can you post what product(s) you use? I have looked into Missha Super Aqua Cell Renew Snail products but have yet to make a purchase... Thanks

Last edited on 4/5/2013

Last edited on 4/5/2013

x-x-o-o1365184640.4431131 PostsRegistered 7/24/2006

I'm curious too jwabbit what products you use. Since you have experience with it I would appreciate it.

Thank you!

Harpa1365184830.4477670 PostsRegistered 6/28/2007

I have an open mind, I really do. When it comes to applying something on my skin (and a lot of what I eat) I am an herbavore. Somehow it seems that aloe vera gel may have consistency that resembles snail secretion. (or vice versa) It (aloe) supposedly has 75 nutrients: vitamins, amino acids and enzymes that is beneficial for external applications. Right now that's good enough for me, so I can't say that I'm considering topical snail any time soon. But I am more than mildly interested in the whole notion!

shoesnbags1365185064.7233085 PostsRegistered 6/26/2007New Orleans
Eww. Let's not.

Shoes

Money talks....but chocolate SINGS!

jwabbit1365185083.01770 PostsRegistered 1/3/2013

Howwhatwhen and Lil Miss Muffin,

The Missha Super Aqua Cell Renew Snail line is exactly what I use! I use the Skin Treatment (toner/serum), Essential Moisturizer, Snail Cream, Sleeping Mask and sheet mask. During winter, I add a slightly heavier cream over the Snail Cream at night. Other than that, my combination skin really responds well to the line.

The other snail product I use is the Mizon Snail BB cream. It's a little light in color for me so I add a bit of Missha Perfect Cover BB cream #31.

Missha's US site always has good sales. I purchased the Mizon BB from a Korean seller on ebay.

jwabbit1365185478.3570 PostsRegistered 1/3/2013
On 4/5/2013 Harpa said:

I have an open mind, I really do. When it comes to applying something on my skin (and a lot of what I eat) I am an herbavore. Somehow it seems that aloe vera gel may have consistency that resembles snail secretion. (or vice versa) It (aloe) supposedly has 75 nutrients: vitamins, amino acids and enzymes that is beneficial for external applications. Right now that's good enough for me, so I can't say that I'm considering topical snail any time soon. But I am more than mildly interested in the whole notion!

Snail products are not for everyone - as no single skin care item is for everyone.

Yes! The snail slime is similar in consistency to aloe. Nice analogy!

The line I use is very gel-like and light.

Don't worry, no one's forcing anyone to use it! :)

x-x-o-o1365185571.311131 PostsRegistered 7/24/2006

The Missha Super Aqua Cell Renew Snail line is exactly what I use! I use the Skin Treatment (toner/serum), Essential Moisturizer, Snail Cream, Sleeping Mask and sheet mask. During winter, I add a slightly heavier cream over the Snail Cream at night. Other than that, my combination skin really responds well to the line.

The other snail product I use is the Mizon Snail BB cream. It's a little light in color for me so I add a bit of Missha Perfect Cover BB cream #31.

Missha's US site always has good sales. I purchased the Mizon BB from a Korean seller on ebay.

Thank you!

howwhatwhen1365186496.6773041 PostsRegistered 9/6/2007

Thanks...maybe the next time they have a discount code I'll finally make a purchase...I've read reviews and many people say that it smells nice...as someone with scent allergies could you describe the scent for me? Does it linger on the skin after application? Thanks again

jwabbit1365186627.84770 PostsRegistered 1/3/2013
On 4/5/2013 Lil Miss Muffin said:

Thank you!

You're welcome!

Oh, btw, the Missha Snail products also contain Niacinamide (Vitamin B3) to help clear skin and strengthen skin's natural protective barrier.

YoUrBloNde­131365187300.627999 PostsRegistered 6/26/2008

Science has come way too far for having to test any cosmetic products on animals and use any ingredient derived from them. Kudos to brands that don't do either.

"i DoN't MiNd LiVinG iN a MaN's wORld aS lOnG aS i cAn bE a wOMaN iN iT" ~m.monroe

jwabbit1365187381.5470 PostsRegistered 1/3/2013
On 4/5/2013 howwhatwhen said:

Thanks...maybe the next time they have a discount code I'll finally make a purchase...I've read reviews and many people say that it smells nice...as someone with scent allergies could you describe the scent for me? Does it linger on the skin after application? Thanks again

You're so welcome!

The scent is nice, very pleasant but does not linger. It's hard to describe. Definitely not floral. It's more "spa" like and fresh. Maybe like walking into the cool, fresh produce section of the market, but not fruity. :) That sounds kind of odd but there's no clear note that I can pick out.

I'm sensitive to scents too and won't use things that are strong or annoying. I have no problem with the Missha Snail products.

Karena1365187515.135546 PostsRegistered 6/30/2008Bay Area, California
On 4/5/2013 YoUrBloNde13 said:

Science has come way too far for having to test any cosmetic products on animals and use any ingredient derived from them. Kudos to brands that don't do either.

Excellent point!!

x-x-o-o1365188366.3231131 PostsRegistered 7/24/2006
On 4/5/2013 Lil Miss Muffin said:

Thank you!

You're welcome!

Oh, btw, the Missha Snail products also contain Niacinamide (Vitamin B3) to help clear skin and strengthen skin's natural protective barrier.

I'm kind of excited about this whole thing. I've found for me that simple is BEST. Thousands of dollars spent on lotions and potions with fancy names and fancy bottles never did the trick for me. (but that's just me - I know they do wonders for others) Once I found Argan oil (from the health food store) and Rachel K CC cream things started to turn around for my skin.

I'm ready to kick it up a notch and give the products you mentioned a try. I'll incorporate one to start and see how it goes. :-)

Thanks again for the information.

Last edited on 4/5/2013

Last edited on 4/5/2013

KatCat11365189432.80317141 PostsRegistered 7/21/2011

Sounds too gross for me and I would not want it on my face/skin. It's funny how cosmetic cos. never answer certain questions. IT Cosmetics is not the only one. I have had EL ignoring a question too.

sharon8181365190641.643262 PostsRegistered 10/16/2011Everett, WA

I've been using the Missha Sleep Masque and find that my skin has really felt more hydrated after about a week of using this every night. I like it a lot.

As for thinking it's gross to put snail slime on your skin, there are a lot of worse things that we put on our skin every day (they just label them with a scientific name). If it works, I'll use it.

x-x-o-o1365190682.9971131 PostsRegistered 7/24/2006
On 4/5/2013 KatCat1 said:

Sounds too gross for me and I would not want it on my face/skin. It's funny how cosmetic cos. never answer certain questions. IT Cosmetics is not the only one. I have had EL ignoring a question too.

LOL! Kat you must be very young. At my age I'll give anything a whirl. {#emotions_dlg.laugh} (I'm just teasing...)

HappyDaze1365194913.616696 PostsRegistered 6/13/2012
On 4/5/2013 Karena said:
On 4/5/2013 YoUrBloNde13 said:

Excellent point!!

I agree, excellent points. Sometimes I wonder if we really have "advanced" as humans. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

One thing I liked in the video with Josie and that actor Ian is he said he wants to promote compassion for animals because those that have or learn compassion for animals also tend to learn or have compassion for humans. They tend to go hand in hand and I completely agree with him.

Page 1 of 2