New Holiday Decor
135 Members and 17770 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

WEN for curly hair

Started 1363565531.663 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1363710058.15 by naleiarenee

I am thinking about trying WEN for the first time.

Which one of the fragrances works best for wavy, curly hair?

I know that this topic has been discussed many times, but now I'm ready to pay attention.

Smile TIA

Page 1 of 1
Iluv50sog1363565681.263462 PostsRegistered 11/21/2012

I have naturally curly hair and have been using wen for about 3 months. I like Tea Tree, Lavender and 613. I like Fig styling cream however have not tried the cleansing conditioner although I have heard many who have curly hair recommend Fig.

To forgive is to set a prisoner free and realize the prisoner was you.

Naturally Curly, shoulder length hair, dark brown.

kcladyz1363566228.664031 PostsRegistered 4/30/2012

many people experienced hair loss and allergic reactions to wen so i would try the kids formula. I find it to be the best of them all and the most luxurious and it is free of all the typical things some people have reactions too. i love the watermelon. other than that all the formulas are universal. Pom and fig is most moisturizing, seasonal and 613 is the most treatment based. You can also get the sample packets and try them all before you dive in.

I use lavender, sam, pom and the seasonal mainly

Last edited on 3/17/2013

Last edited on 3/17/2013

MissKlynn1363566822.612537 PostsRegistered 6/22/2012

lafelinevrais, welcome! Do you have thick or fine hair? Is it coarse?

Fig is best for moisture. I have curly hair and but it isn't coarse, so Fig was a a tad too much on its own for me, so I mix it with Lavender with great results.

Tell us more about your hair type and we'll steer you in the right direction!

WEN: Shoulder length thick naturally curly hair, brunette with deep red highlights.
SKIN: Mid 30's, sensitive combo skin.

WenGirl421363569366.9632334 PostsRegistered 7/5/2012
On 3/17/2013 MissKlynn said:

Fig is best for moisture. I have curly hair and but it isn't coarse, so Fig was a a tad too much on its own for me, so I mix it with Lavender with great results.

Yep, what she said! I have curly hair that is thick, coarse and porous (and tends towards dry) but not ethnic and not color-treated. Fig is my HG, with Cucumber Aloe as a first cleanse a lot of the time. I know a lot of the ladies who seem to have hair similar to mine like Tea Tree, but I have kitties who could be harmed by it so I haven't tried it. I have tried all the other regular formulas and seasonals and didn't like them even occasionally or mixed in...they made my hair frizzy (POM), or dull (SAM), or flyaway (all of them), or oddly straighter (LAV). But I looooove Fig and CA! If you're thinking about trying WEN, you should try a discovery kit or the multi-pack of the travel packets to see what you like.

naleiarenee1363576927.3871618 PostsRegistered 7/29/2011OhIo
On 3/17/2013 WenGirl42 said:

Yep, what she said! I have curly hair that is thick, coarse and porous (and tends towards dry) but not ethnic and not color-treated. Fig is my HG, with Cucumber Aloe as a first cleanse a lot of the time. I know a lot of the ladies who seem to have hair similar to mine like Tea Tree, but I have kitties who could be harmed by it so I haven't tried it. I have tried all the other regular formulas and seasonals and didn't like them even occasionally or mixed in...they made my hair frizzy (POM), or dull (SAM), or flyaway (all of them), or oddly straighter (LAV). But I looooove Fig and CA! If you're thinking about trying WEN, you should try a discovery kit or the multi-pack of the travel packets to see what you like.

Hi WenGirl42!

Our hair likes some of the same things !!!I happen to have tightly curly multi-ethnic ,chemical free hair....My faves from the regular line are Fig , Cucumber Aloe,and Tea Tree. I do not have any probs ,tho with the seasonals and am able to use any of the formulas. I'm also a big 613 fan(in moderation)!! Have you ever used the Kids ? If so,how were your results ? I agree that OP should get a sample pack.

WenGirl421363616076.6032334 PostsRegistered 7/5/2012
On 3/17/2013 naleiarenee said:

Hi WenGirl42!

Our hair likes some of the same things !!!I happen to have tightly curly multi-ethnic ,chemical free hair....My faves from the regular line are Fig , Cucumber Aloe,and Tea Tree. I do not have any probs ,tho with the seasonals and am able to use any of the formulas. I'm also a big 613 fan(in moderation)!! Have you ever used the Kids ? If so,how were your results ? I agree that OP should get a sample pack.

Hey girlfriend! You were one of the biggest helps to me last year trying to figure out how to get rid of my frizz and what to do on non-cleanse days. I'm pretty sure you started me pineappling! :) I haven't tried the Kids' yet...trying to only buy the TSVs/special deals and I've got a pretty good stockpile already. I'm hesitant because they seem like they'd be drying/not moisturizing enough (possibly excepting the Strawberry Banana, which is the one scent I think I'd hate haha). I love the scent of the 613, but I can't use it much (I think my hair doesn't like the soy formulas as much, and I know it doesn't like all the protein). I get frizz city with 613 unless I use it very sparingly and follow up with a ton of moisture (like a Re-Moist treatment). I can't use any POM at all, even a pump mixed in gives me awful frizz. I can use FGP and SCM mixed in with my Fig or CA, or as a first cleanse, or alone for a few days before I start to feel like my hair is getting dry and frizzy. And I love WVM mixed in with either Fig or CA. I've never tried the SGGT because I can't get past the smell.

KweenB1363617736.2732167 PostsRegistered 11/27/2010

I'm a curly girl. My fav so far is Sweet Almond Mint. Just the right amount of moisture for me. I thought the Fig would be best and tried it, but it just made my hair a mess.

You have to try the mousse! Oh my gosh, it's worth every penny. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

lafelinevr­ais1363654209.1798 PostsRegistered 8/13/2008

Thank all of you for your input. My 70 year old curly hair is quite dry, thick and coarse. I definitely do not need to wash it every day. I'd just like to find one or two products that will help bring out its best qualities. I really don't wish to deal with a multitude of products. Thanks again!

Last edited on 3/18/2013

Last edited on 3/18/2013

Hilary771363657376.4175001 PostsRegistered 7/24/2012Kentucky
On 3/18/2013 lafelinevrais said:

Thank all of you for your input. My 70 year old curly hair is quite dry, thick and coarse. I definitely do not need to wash it every day. I'd just like to find one or two products that will help bring out its best qualities. I really don't wish to deal with a multitude of products. Thanks again!

Last edited on 3/18/2013
I would recommend fig or tea tree for your hair type.

Hair type- chin length with layers, dark blonde with highlights, wavy, and thick with fine texture.

relaxer1363705238.243123 PostsRegistered 8/1/2009

Can't help with the fragrances because I don't see that much difference with any of them. (I've tried all.) If I have a leaning it would be toward tea tree, sweet almond mint and the extra moisturizing formulas fig and 613 when my hair feels dry. My hair is curly/wavy, fine, thinning, and almost shoulder length.

I'm responding to this because I've just recently had remarkable result with the mousse and serum. I've used many different stying products for curly from high end to drug store and never had consistent good results. The Wen styling products (styling cream, finishing cream, balm) did not enhance my curls or help with frizz until I broke down and bought the mousse and serum. Hope I'm not speaking too soon, but for my last 4 days I haven't hated my hair. The mousse enhances and too a degree holds my curls. I use a dime size sweet almond mint as leave in, put 2 pumps of serum on while is still wet with mouse (4 pumps) and add more serum when hair is dry.

Yesterday I was in and out of a misty rain with no umbrella and my hair did not frizz! This morning it looked almost like yesterday! Not the dry frizz I usually get after sleeping on it. I'm over the moon about this and just hope it is not fluke. The true test will be when the weather is warm and humid.

naleiarenee1363710058.151618 PostsRegistered 7/29/2011OhIo
On 3/18/2013 WenGirl42 said:
On 3/17/2013 naleiarenee said:

Hi WenGirl42!

Hey girlfriend! You were one of the biggest helps to me last year trying to figure out how to get rid of my frizz and what to do on non-cleanse days. I'm pretty sure you started me pineappling! :) I haven't tried the Kids' yet...trying to only buy the TSVs/special deals and I've got a pretty good stockpile already. I'm hesitant because they seem like they'd be drying/not moisturizing enough (possibly excepting the Strawberry Banana, which is the one scent I think I'd hate haha). I love the scent of the 613, but I can't use it much (I think my hair doesn't like the soy formulas as much, and I know it doesn't like all the protein). I get frizz city with 613 unless I use it very sparingly and follow up with a ton of moisture (like a Re-Moist treatment). I can't use any POM at all, even a pump mixed in gives me awful frizz. I can use FGP and SCM mixed in with my Fig or CA, or as a first cleanse, or alone for a few days before I start to feel like my hair is getting dry and frizzy. And I love WVM mixed in with either Fig or CA. I've never tried the SGGT because I can't get past the smell.

I'm so happy that I helped !!!

Page 1 of 1