TSV(R) Preview
156 Members and 12608 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Walgreen's vs. CVS

Started 1362022933.703 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1362362448.643 by Lexys Mom

I can hardly contain myself! We're getting a CVS Pharmacy near where I live. As a card-carrying makeup junkie, this thrills me a lot more than I should admit to. My only drugstore experience is with Walgreen's, which I find more pricey than Wal-Mart or Target, but there's one on every corner, so they're so convenient. Can any of you share your thoughts on the differences, (if any), between the two? Thanks in advance!

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next
jennlinn1362023122.8172060 PostsRegistered 2/17/2007

I have both CVS and Walgreens in my neighborhood, and I go to both, but prefer CVS, hands down. I think you will like it.

Coke Zero ­Addict1362023126.0971360 PostsRegistered 8/10/2010

I am not impressed with either store, I think both on the whole are over priced. I try to go to Walmart. Our CVS is always low or out of stock and I thought when a Walgreens opened pactically next door there would be some competition, no such luck.

“We've placed a lot of emphasis in this country on the idea of people's rights. That's how it should be, but it makes no sense to talk about rights without also talking about responsibilities.”
― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture

MomOf41362023303.534371 PostsRegistered 1/27/2012So. California

I'm not sure where you live but in Orange Co., CA the Walgreen stores are messy and frequently low on products. I love CVS. Stores are laid out much better, there's almost nothing you can't find and prices are much more reasonable than Walgreens!!

Friends are the bacon bits in the salad of life!!

Go Denver Broncos!!

AnnikaC1362023511.0371003 PostsRegistered 4/26/2011

I'm in Kansas, in a major city. Our Walgreen's are always temptingly stocked, and decently neat and tidy, but from the blogs I read, CVS seems to have stuff that I can never find at Walgreen's. That's why I'm looking forward to it--although it would probably be best for my pocketbook to have neither!

BellaCarro1362024346.948220 PostsRegistered 10/1/2011Atlanta
On 2/27/2013 Coke Zero Addict said:

I am not impressed with either store, I think both on the whole are over priced. I try to go to Walmart. Our CVS is always low or out of stock and I thought when a Walgreens opened pactically next door there would be some competition, no such luck.

Geez, do you live in my n'hood?

LeoGrl1362024593.9132121 PostsRegistered 9/17/2007

Another vote for CVS! That store is very addicting. For me personally, the whole atmosphere of the store and setup is just more warm and inviting than Walgreens. Plus, if you get the CVS Extra Care Card (which I recommend) because you will get coupons. CVS always has great sales too on makeup with a lot of BOGO or BOGO 1/2 off makeup. Also with your CVS Extra Care card, your reward points keep adding up and then you get what they call Extra Care Bucks. It's like getting free money back. It's based on how often you go there and how much you spend throughout certain quarters. Oooh, I almost forgot, they have special Beauty Rewards too. For every $50 you spend on beauty products, you automatically get $5.00 back every time. There are 3 CVS stores (I kid you not) where I live so I'm always in at least one of them. LOL!

Last edited on 2/27/2013

Last edited on 2/27/2013

KatCat11362024756.4617152 PostsRegistered 7/21/2011

I shop at Walgreens but do avoid some of their high priced items. Target or Wal-Mart is much better. CVS is priced higher than Walgreens because there are less customers or that's what I have found to be true. I guess it depends on your area too.

4doggies1362025522.853501 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Our town has two CVS's, one Walgreens. I much prefer CVS and their discounts are much better even with the new Walgreen's Rewards program. I check out Walgreens every couple of weeks (it's practically down the street) but overall much prefer CVS. One of our CVS stores is great and is constantly getting in new items. The other one carries far fewer items and rarely has clearance items, so I guess it depends on the quality of your store.

smokymtngal1362026269.382969 PostsRegistered 12/8/2007

I only shop Walgreens for sale items, even then you have to compare prices, because they're not always cheaper. But they are well stocked on items. Our CVS is usually out of whatever they advertised and the store is just messy. I only go to Walgreens or CVS for things I can't get at Walmart or Target.

sunshine451362026627.23341931 PostsRegistered 1/13/2007east coast and west coast

i have two CVS stores and two walgreens stores within two miles from my home. the walgreens stores in this area have been popping up like crazy on so many street corners. i shop more in walgreens and i like their newest program where you earn points for purchases.... and they add up quickly. i like their over 55 days where everything in the store is 15 percent off and 20 percent off all of their house brands (with a few exceptions).

i do still shop at cvs, but i like the selection and the layout and space more at walgreens.

"When will our consciences grow so tender that we will act to prevent human misery rather than avenge it?" - Eleanor Roosevelt

KrissieK1362027573.3838 PostsRegistered 2/14/2012South Florida

I love their Extrabucks rewards and CVS gift card rewards. This week, spend $10 on Physician's Formula, get $7. Spend $10 on Sally Hansen on $10, get $5 back. I usually roll my EB every week. PLUS, every time you spend $50 on beauty, you get a $5 off coupon (You sign up for this program). On my birthday, I got a $3 off coupon. You can also stck these with manufacture coupons.

Every Sunday, this blog gives you the drugstore sales. http://nouveaucheap.blogspot.com/2013/02/the-weekly-drugstore-makeup-sales-224-32.html

Genie, you're free.
RIP Robin Williams.

luvpoos1362049305.226010 PostsRegistered 5/3/2006Kingston Ma

We don't have a Walgreens near us, but we do have two CVS's. One is newer and I like it much better. They offer good sales and love ECB program. They also have red coupon boxes in the store where you can scan your card and get even more coupons. I think you will really enjoy shopping there.

you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, well you just might find, that you get what you need...The Rolling Stones

kabella1362050580.7333951 PostsRegistered 1/30/2012

Hi AnnikaC. Well that's exciting, this way you'll have more of choice, some items Walgreen's doesn't carry, CVS does & vica versa. Walgreen's doesn't carry PF anymore but CVS does for example. You will like their rewards program. Enjoy!

marky1362054498.117925 PostsRegistered 1/6/2007

I only buy what is on sale at Walgreens and CVS. They are both way more expensive than a store such as Walmart for everyday things. If CVS or Walgreens is out of a sale item, I just ask for a raincheck and go back to the store in a few days and you can still get the sale price when you give the raincheck to the clerk. I also check for clearance items --these are marked on the shelves and you can get some great unadvertised prices if you just do a quick scan down the aisles of products that you might be interested in.

You can sign up for their weekly ads on the websites and find out what is on sale. Just be sure to sign up for the shopper cards in each store and always present them to the cashier in order to get the great prices.

winamac11362054785.12730944 PostsRegistered 12/29/2010Indiana

I prefer CVS.

"Friends don't let friends...drink white zinfandel"

winamac11362054873.74730944 PostsRegistered 12/29/2010Indiana
On 2/28/2013 marky said:

I only buy what is on sale at Walgreens and CVS. They are both way more expensive than a store such as Walmart for everyday things. If CVS or Walgreens is out of a sale item, I just ask for a raincheck and go back to the store in a few days and you can still get the sale price when you give the raincheck to the clerk. I also check for clearance items --these are marked on the shelves and you can get some great unadvertised prices if you just do a quick scan down the aisles of products that you might be interested in.

You can sign up for their weekly ads on the websites and find out what is on sale. Just be sure to sign up for the shopper cards in each store and always present them to the cashier in order to get the great prices.

ITA

CVS and Walgreens are pricey, but I like CVS more. I , too, shop at Walmart-even though I don't like Walmart all that much I find some items to be 25% cheaper. I also like L'oreal mascara and get that 25% off at Kroger--all the time. It's far less pricey than CVS and Walgreens--at least Kroger cosmetics are. With coupons and with kroger pricing, I can get L'oreal Voluminous for $5 and it's 8 or 9 at CVS.

"Friends don't let friends...drink white zinfandel"

briiii1362055288.4476305 PostsRegistered 2/18/2010Chicago

It seems like there is a Walgreen's and a CVS at every corner. I rarely go to either.

I am at Target and Costco or the grocery store and can easily get what I need there.

*sigh*

happy hous­ewife1362055376.91731991 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007
We get our Rx filled at Walgreens because they are the only local drugstore that is in network. However, they are a PIA as we frequently have to wait for 2 weeks to get our medicines . I could get them faster using mail order and I would use mail order if we didn't snowbird.At least, now that we know Walgreens doesn't stock many drugs so we will haveto wait ,we do make sure we have a supply so we can wait .

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

happy hous­ewife1362055577.43731991 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007
This past fall,mt doctor ordered a certain Rx for my pneumonia and when I took it to Walgreens to be filled they said it would take 5 to 7 days to get it. I called my insurance to get permission to go elsewhere and miraciously, When they called Walgreens the drug mysteriously became available.

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

JeanLouise­Finch1362055953.33311051 PostsRegistered 10/3/2011

We actually have both stores in my town, right across the street from one another. I kind of find them both equal in what they offer. I rarely have a reason to go to either, but when I filled my first Tretinoin prescription, I went to Walgreens - no particular reason. Well, I signed up for their prescription club (forget the name of it right now), so now I have to get all my refills done there as well. I wish I would have thought about Costco, but I didn't, and now that I'm in "the club", the cost at Walgreens is pretty much the same as it would be at Costco. Walgreens here also has LP tanks for the gas grill, but CVS doesn't, so that's a plus for me.

Shogirl1362056092.851993 PostsRegistered 12/6/2010

I hate CVS, but it may be all in what you're used to... This year my insurance prescription program changed, and Walgreens no longer is a provider. I was so PO'd by this, you have no idea because I've been shopping at Walgreens for many years! Anyway, I've been to two CVS's in our area and feel the same about them - they are like walking into an old time drugstore. They seem outdated and not as nice and modern as Walgreens. I know that's just appearances, and as for what they actually sell, I couldn't comment yet since I've not shopped there for anything but prescriptions. I really like the convenience of Walgreens - 24 hours including the pharmacy, plus drive-thru. I like being able to pick up my prescription after 10PM and never get out of the car to do it.

That's my 2 cents!

Mirage081362058419.9432917 PostsRegistered 1/16/2009

I had never been in a Walgreens until I went to Atlanta for a trip a few years ago. They weren't in my area at the time. Now we have a bunch in my area. I go in there every now and then but prefer CVS. I feel that CVS' rewards program is better and have pretty decent sales every now and then. Walgreens new rewards program is kind of confusing and seem more restrictive. And the few time I've gotten a coupon with my receipt, it had to be used in like 2 days.

Minnya1362058718.46389 PostsRegistered 2/15/2007

I actually prefer Rite Aid! Our CVS and Walgreen's are both kind of old and seem very crammed with merchandise.

The Rite Aid is bright and open and I do get perks from their Wellness card.

cassiem1362059018.0676835 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I love CVS because I never pay full price for anything. (Well, except for prescriptions, which are different because of insurance.) Definitely sign up for a customer care card and also sign up for the beauty club. With the card I get weekly discounts (lately 20% to 30% off purchase) and I also get extra care bucks back (like a rebate) for the purchases I make. The beauty club gives you $5 extra bucks for every $50 you spend. There's a prescription club you can sign up for, too, where you get $5 back for every 10 prescriptions you fill.

Ranchergal1362059067.0374283 PostsRegistered 6/13/2007

Definitely CVS, if you don't have a Rite Aid.

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next