Fall Fashion Clearance
101 Members and 11438 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

How to use regular polish with Mally's gel nail system

Started 1361744530.18 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1362949423.023 by musicgrl
replies

I love Mally's gel nail system. I've used it 3 times over a six week period and my nails stay looking great for 2 weeks. However, on today's show Mally spoke of doing nail art or changing your color without going through the entire process. Does anyone know how you do it? If you use regular nail polish, do you still cure it? Any assistance is appreciated.

Page 1 of 1
ValentineK­isses1361833550.997329 PostsRegistered 9/1/2010Front Royal, Virginia

I don't have the Mally gel nail system because I already have one from someone else, but I use regular polish with it all the time. I just do my nails with the prep and layers and what not (no color), then do regular nail polish and allow to slightly dry, put the top coat on that goes with the gel nail system and cure it.

That's what I did when I did my nails 2 years ago for a Jason Mraz concert. I did all the nail art with regular nail polish and just used the clear gel polish to cure it and keep it perfect!

reg polish with gel nail cure

nail polish

xoxox with love & beauty,
Crystal from the Valentine Kisses beauty blog

Nadjalu1361838757.5031931 PostsRegistered 9/7/2007
I don't believe you can use regular polish. She demonstrated using only her polishes. Where you polish your nails cure them,then use other colors to decorate, then cure that. While you are decorating with the second polish it stay wet and you can remove or wipe off any mistake. But they were all her gel polishes.

musicgrl1361841780.6071046 PostsRegistered 11/28/2008Suburban Detroit
The gel system I have says you can do the base coat and cure it. Then use two coats of regular polish and let it dry well. Finally, you use the get top coat and cure that. I haven't tried it yet, but I certainly wouldn't have bought all the colors I did, if I would have known that going in!

Iri1361853356.557108 PostsRegistered 10/28/2012

The blogger at the Beautezine website has a step by step guide on how to do it. http://www.beautezine.com/diy-soak-off-gel-polish-manicure-with-regular-nail-polish/

kiki21361858046.8036969 PostsRegistered 7/3/2010SJ

''However, on today's show Mally spoke of doing nail art or changing your color without going through the entire process''

This is the only way I do my nails with Mallys gel kit. I don't know if 'my way' is what Mally is talking about but it works for me.

I got Mallys kit about this time last year and I tried it all the way using her polishes. With the baby pink color I experimented in putting my regular polishes on top, top coat and done. After that I went out and got a pale nude and a sheer gel polish.

This is all I use, the sheer or nude. Haven't even used the 3 gel colors that came with the kit. I have regular polishes that I love. I had no desire to start buying expensive gel polishes. They're a fortune to me. Better way to spend my money. I also knew I didn't want to be committed to one color over 2 weeks at minimum.

I go thru the whole system up to the final wipe that takes any sticky away. Then I just paint my nails w/ regular polish, however many coats the polish itself needs, top coat them and I'm done.{of course there's always the dry down time but I think it goes quicker over the gel app}. No, I don't cure them past the intial full set. I don't cure them after putting regular polish on.

As long as the 'seal' on the top of the nail isn't 'broken' {filed down like one has to do to get them off} I can use nail polish remover in taking off the regular polish. Application is key here. The gel can't be cured over the cuticle or sides of the nail on skin. If it's done this way, as the nail grows any sealed edges are no longer secure. Then any polish remover could get up under the gel and weaken the gel itself. Also keeping them tipped, placing all the gel steps over the tips and under them, is important. I'm not always that successful in this part and my nails sometimes show it down the road. Sometimes the gel coatings have chipped themselves. Usually this doesn't happen until it's near time to take them off so it's not been a big deal to me. I'm also way too hands on. A GF tries to tell me my 'nails are like jewels not toolwels' [tools, lol] and think I bang on the keyboard alot harder than I should, which doesn't help. {#emotions_dlg.blush}

The thing that I LOVE about this is being able to switch out my polishes any time I want over the 2/3 weeks until I need to do a new gel set. I don't even bother looking at gel polish. I have too many regular polishes that I love and it's not worth it to me. Because of gels, my polish collection has also grown by leaps, haha. So many pretty colors to wear! Wink

If you have on a light gel polish, go ahead and experiment, try this. It sounds like the take off process is a breeze for you so you really have nothing to lose! It's the one thing I dread I think. But then those first 2 weeks with a new set are fantastic. Absolutely worth it!

Good Luck!

BEwell,kiki

"Strong women want the BEST for each other!"... Auburn RED, green w/gold eyes, Light/Med Beige. Neutral-leans warm. 4 furbabies RIP My LittleGirl, Home will always be BE. Oh & I'm still Kiki, too...;)

musicgrl1362949422.9331046 PostsRegistered 11/28/2008Suburban Detroit
On 2/25/2013 kiki2 said:

''However, on today's show Mally spoke of doing nail art or changing your color without going through the entire process''

This is the only way I do my nails with Mallys gel kit. I don't know if 'my way' is what Mally is talking about but it works for me.

I got Mallys kit about this time last year and I tried it all the way using her polishes. With the baby pink color I experimented in putting my regular polishes on top, top coat and done. After that I went out and got a pale nude and a sheer gel polish.

This is all I use, the sheer or nude. Haven't even used the 3 gel colors that came with the kit. I have regular polishes that I love. I had no desire to start buying expensive gel polishes. They're a fortune to me. Better way to spend my money. I also knew I didn't want to be committed to one color over 2 weeks at minimum.

I go thru the whole system up to the final wipe that takes any sticky away. Then I just paint my nails w/ regular polish, however many coats the polish itself needs, top coat them and I'm done.{of course there's always the dry down time but I think it goes quicker over the gel app}. No, I don't cure them past the intial full set. I don't cure them after putting regular polish on.

As long as the 'seal' on the top of the nail isn't 'broken' {filed down like one has to do to get them off} I can use nail polish remover in taking off the regular polish. Application is key here. The gel can't be cured over the cuticle or sides of the nail on skin. If it's done this way, as the nail grows any sealed edges are no longer secure. Then any polish remover could get up under the gel and weaken the gel itself. Also keeping them tipped, placing all the gel steps over the tips and under them, is important. I'm not always that successful in this part and my nails sometimes show it down the road. Sometimes the gel coatings have chipped themselves. Usually this doesn't happen until it's near time to take them off so it's not been a big deal to me. I'm also way too hands on. A GF tries to tell me my 'nails are like jewels not toolwels' [tools, lol] and think I bang on the keyboard alot harder than I should, which doesn't help. {#emotions_dlg.blush}

The thing that I LOVE about this is being able to switch out my polishes any time I want over the 2/3 weeks until I need to do a new gel set. I don't even bother looking at gel polish. I have too many regular polishes that I love and it's not worth it to me. Because of gels, my polish collection has also grown by leaps, haha. So many pretty colors to wear! Wink

If you have on a light gel polish, go ahead and experiment, try this. It sounds like the take off process is a breeze for you so you really have nothing to lose! It's the one thing I dread I think. But then those first 2 weeks with a new set are fantastic. Absolutely worth it!

Good Luck!

Hi Kiki2, I hope you came back to this thread. I just referred to it, to try and copy your technique to be able to use regular nail polish. I didn't use a nude or sheer polish under the gel topcoat, I just used the gel base and the gel top coat. Before I try to paint over that with my own polish, I wanted to ask you if the polish looked even, after application? It seems like the gel topcoat may not be the same thickness across my nail (like it may be thicker in some spots). I didn't notice over the gel nail polish, but I'm wondering if I am going to see it, when painting over the cured shiny topcoat? I hope you get what I mean. And sorry for the "no paragraph" iPad posting! Thanks for taking the time to explain how you use the system!

Page 1 of 1