Keurig Offer
127 Members and 11483 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

I think this is false advertising....

Started 1361564512.327 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1361625245.193 by 4doggies

Whenever Mally demonstrates her mascaras she always uses the model whose lashes look like spider legs because they are so long. In the before you can tell they are super long anyway but Mally goes on and on about how the mascara can give you this look. I think vendors should try and use models for mascara demos that look like the average woman. I've tried all of her mascaras and I get nothing near that look and I have short lashes plus I use a lash primer. I've tried it with and without the primer but still no long lashes.

Page 1 of 2
Tissyanne1361564843.063327 PostsRegistered 12/6/2012
I agree, to be fair, they need to show more than one model with the mascara. Don't choose just one with long eyelashes. I don't like the spider look anyway. Looks fake.

When someone shows you how they are, believe them.

Peetie571361565116.013459 PostsRegistered 4/21/2010

I totally agree with you. I have used her mascara also and I get better results from one that I'm using from Clinique. Less money too! I'm 55 and I don't like the look that I have Spider legs for lashes!! LOL!

leavesgalo­re1361565161.34280 PostsRegistered 12/4/2011

I was just thinking something similar when watching the presentation of the new Mally Hydrating Primer this afternoon. She was applying it to a model who clearly had makeup on. A primer is supposed to be worn under makeup. And all the other models were clearly heavily made up already when she demonstrated all her products today. How can you tell from these demonstrations how the products really work?

kabella1361565322.9433951 PostsRegistered 1/30/2012

Try using a coat of Maybelline's, the Falsies in the pink tube that will thicken them followed by the popular Jordana for 2.99, they give great length to lashes. If you like layering, give it another coat of Jordana & comb thru. Try it, works great, I actually look like I am wearing false lashes, My Mom lashes are short & thinned but with those two give her thicker longer lashes. Just a suggestion:)

MrsOz1361565453.1935 PostsRegistered 2/22/2013

I can't believe that anyone watching a Mally presentation in HD is actually motivated to buy her products. They are soooo made up and their makeup is all cracky and gross looking. They showed a before & after for some product (I can't remember which) earlier today on a mature dark haired lady and she looked so much younger & better before, it was embarassing that they were even using that as a before & after.

kabella1361565478.333951 PostsRegistered 1/30/2012

That girl with the very long lashes only needs one light coat. Plus her eye span to her brow's are not far apart which makes it more obvious. Mally does have a good Mascara tho.

kabella1361565784.6273951 PostsRegistered 1/30/2012
On 2/22/2013 MrsOz said:

I can't believe that anyone watching a Mally presentation in HD is actually motivated to buy her products. They are soooo made up and their makeup is all cracky and gross looking. They showed a before & after for some product (I can't remember which) earlier today on a mature dark haired lady and she looked so much younger & better before, it was embarassing that they were even using that as a before & after.

I'm not naming any vendor, but I have to agree with most vendors with their type of makeup for older women, does nothing but age them. If I were that age, & was watching a show with that caked up look, I wouldn't buy the product.

kabella1361566081.6673951 PostsRegistered 1/30/2012
On 2/22/2013 kabella said:
On 2/22/2013 MrsOz said:

I'm not naming any vendor, but I have to agree with most vendors with their type of makeup for older women, does nothing but age them. If I were that age, & was watching a show with that caked up look, I wouldn't buy the product.

Especially, when they use way too much powder on an older women, especially under their eyes. It's aging for younger women. Lines become so much more apparent.

Karena1361566996.2775513 PostsRegistered 6/30/2008Bay Area, California

They all do it, Tarte, Mally, IT Cosmetics, Doris Dalton, etc.

I remember when the model, Sheila used to have very short lashes. Over the past two years, they have grown ridiculously long, and now she's used for mascara demos by IT Cosmetics and sometimes by Laura Geller.

The blonde model, Allie,with the HUGE giraffe-like long, curled, blonde lashes is used for Tarte's demos as well as IT Cosmetics, Doris Dalton, and Mally's demos. Her lashes are very pretty, but she'd have thick, long lashes with any mascara.

Shanna is another model with super long, curled, and thick lashes as well. She is always used for Tarte and Doris Dalton mascara demos.

I have to say, at least Mally uses Tracy, Kadeejah, and Rachel who don't have super long lashes.

Silver331361567026.91371 PostsRegistered 10/25/2012

It seems like most of the younger models are using Latisse to lengthen their eyelashes these days. I have several girlfriends that use this, and they all have eyelashes that have more of that "spider leg" look to them. That being said, I do like Mally's mascara.

Karena1361567065.0435513 PostsRegistered 6/30/2008Bay Area, California

Try using a coat of Maybelline's, the Falsies in the pink tube that will thicken them followed by the popular Jordana for 2.99, they give great length to lashes. If you like layering, give it another coat of Jordana & comb thru. Try it, works great, I actually look like I am wearing false lashes, My Mom lashes are short & thinned but with those two give her thicker longer lashes. Just a suggestion:)

I use Jordana, as well. Great suggestion about using The Falsie's first!! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} Thanks!

kabella1361567753.6933951 PostsRegistered 1/30/2012
On 2/22/2013 Karena said:

I use Jordana, as well. Great suggestion about using The Falsie's first!! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} Thanks!

Your Welcome, I have used other waterproof's first but with the falsie's it worked the best. Hope it works well for you!

KatCat11361568806.96716965 PostsRegistered 7/21/2011

Before I went on strike against Benefit because of a CS issue, I purchased the Bad Gal mascara. It is the first mascara that actually made my lashes longer. And, from what I heard on this board, Benefit's They're Real is even better.

P.S. All the vendors use those models and some of them look ridiculous with their spidery lashes. Not an attracive look at all.

Last edited on 2/22/2013

Last edited on 2/22/2013

Tricolor1361569126.6775241 PostsRegistered 4/19/2010Pittsburgh Suburbs

It annoys me to no end that most mascara ads use false eyelashes. Recently I just noticed that Maybelline has put in very small print that lash extensions are used in their ads.

64 years old
Retired RMA
Dry medium skintone
Blonde highlights
Dry thick coarse hair

chandeliers1361569161.7234357 PostsRegistered 3/5/2008

I think I watched Mally for the first time today. HD. Oh boy. HD shows pores on infants. It did not look good for some of the models.

The darker haired woman had on the prettiest black jacket, though. Any ideas if it was from q?

granddi1361569853.453815 PostsRegistered 9/8/2009

Same thing when she sort of rubs over her hand to show how her liners are bullet proof. She is clearly cupping her rubbing hand so she will not come in contact with the liner on the back of her hand.

Harpa1361572467.9437552 PostsRegistered 6/28/2007
On 2/22/2013 KatCat1 said:

P.S. All the vendors use those models and some of them look ridiculous with their spidery lashes. Not an attracive look at all.

I so agree! I have to really be careful myself when applying mascara. I only touch my lashes with the brush and the mascara, because I do not want that stupid spidery look.

LuvLabs, do you curl your lashes? Because that also gives height & length that primer wouldn't necessarily give.

Wadzlla1361573441.5271951 PostsRegistered 2/25/2009

Mally's mascara does add that much volume. I have very short fine lashes, and ONE coat of Mally's volumizing mascara doubles the lenght and thickness of my lashes. I use an eyelash curler before applying mascara.

also, once Mally's eyeshadow sets up, it will not move. The handrubbing is not fake once the shadows have set up.

Love Mally and Laura Gellar !

Last edited on 2/22/2013

Last edited on 2/22/2013

Mona Dahl1361573810.6832201 PostsRegistered 3/29/2007
On 2/22/2013 MrsOz said:

No offense to any Mally lovers and/or heavy makeup wearers, but I do agree with this. I'm sure Mally's individual products are great, but some of her looks are way over-the-top. I think her strategy works on young, beautiful celebrities who have great skin and great features, but for anyone with a few extra years or less-than-perfect features, I do think it looks extremely aging.

A couple years ago I discovered a new trick for watching QVC...pretend the "Before" is the "After," and vice versa, and decide if you would want the product. Usually, with the makeup demonstrations, the answer is a resounding YES! That's because the Befores actually look 100 times better than the Afters.

On the "before" side you see a pretty model with a bare face--maybe a little tired looking, but beautiful in a simple, chaste way. Then, on the right, there's the tarted up, makeup-smothered Barbie...it often looks so vulgar.

Risk more than others think is safe,

Care more than others think is wise,

Dream more than others think is practical,

Expect more than others think is possible.

kerri12121361597139.753265 PostsRegistered 11/4/2011
On 2/22/2013 granddi said:

Same thing when she sort of rubs over her hand to show how her liners are bullet proof. She is clearly cupping her rubbing hand so she will not come in contact with the liner on the back of her hand.

Her liners are are junk! I put them on the back of my hand just like she does and they smudged all over.

Spunkyspou­ts1361597220.557166 PostsRegistered 11/19/2008miami

Agree, besides it looks awful. Mally is another one thats getting on my final nerve.

Spunkyspou­ts1361597338.7377166 PostsRegistered 11/19/2008miami
On 2/22/2013 KatCat1 said:

Before I went on strike against Benefit because of a CS issue, I purchased the Bad Gal mascara. It is the first mascara that actually made my lashes longer. And, from what I heard on this board, Benefit's They're Real is even better.

Last edited on 2/22/2013

I love that mascara , it really is awesome. Bad Gal is the bomb, and Jordana is a second.

Dublingrl1361599551.2871398 PostsRegistered 6/1/2008
I only have 3 pack Mally eyeshadow. My cousin gave it to me as it was to shimmery for her. I do like the eyeshadow, but I wouldn't say it was "bulletproof". It wears off by the end of the day as does almost any brand. The colors are nice, and it's one that I wear frequently. I don't think the quality is better than MAC, but the colors are nice on my complexion, & it was free.

Dublingrl1361599553.0731398 PostsRegistered 6/1/2008
I only have 3 pack Mally eyeshadow. My cousin gave it to me as it was to shimmery for her. I do like the eyeshadow, but I wouldn't say it was "bulletproof". It wears off by the end of the day as does almost any brand. The colors are nice, and it's one that I wear frequently. I don't think the quality is better than MAC, but the colors are nice on my complexion, & it was free.

Dublingrl1361599554.2231398 PostsRegistered 6/1/2008

Page 1 of 2