Dooney Days
103 Members and 17128 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Henna to cover stubborn white hairs - 2nd update

Started 1359838586.577 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1360602473.7 by GmaJewele

In October I stopped dying my hair due to increasing allergic reactions, but being only 40 I did not want to go salt and pepper toned. In November I started coloring my hair with BAQ henna, cassia and indigo and it is a GORGEOUS deep auburn with complete white hair coverage. The white hairs are covered even better than when I was using hair dye. When I would dye my hair I was unable to find a brand that wouldn't leave some of my ultra stubborn white hairs STILL WHITE and sticking up straight on top of my head. Now with the henna the white hairs are blended in as auburn highlights. I have been able to start growing my hair out for the first time in 15 years because my hair doesn't feel horrible, it is now super shiny, smooth and healthy. This week I got compliments from two people that my hair looked really nice, one co-worker even complimented me twice. I haven't had a compliment on my hair in over 20 years, which coincidentally is when I started dying my hair.

I actually enjoy the henna process more than the dying process, but it is time consuming. This is what works best for me: I mix equal amounts of red raj henna (high lawsone content henna from henna sooq) with cassia and about a tablespoon of amla with a chamomile tea I brew and let cool down so it's not boiling. Let the color release by letting it sit for 2-4 hours. You can apply to your entire head, but now I only apply it to my new growth. I wrap my head in saran wrap and wear a disposable shower cap. You can leave it on for 2-4 hours, but I actually have found it easiest to just leave it on overnight and just sleep with a towel on my pillow. In the morning I rinse it out and my hair is even healthier and shinier each time I do a new treatment! Henna is also good for dandruff and itchy scalps. Be careful to purchase body art quality henna as cheap hennas can contain bad ingredients such as metallic salts.

Anyway if you're interested in reading more about it two sites that have been helpful are hennaforhair or hennasooq. Before I started the henna journey I asked about it here and several people advised me not to because I had been dying my hair. I'm glad I gave it a try because I have gorgeous hair, no more itchy scalp and I'm not using harmful PPD containing dyes to bad effect!

Page 1 of 1
Lizzy Benn­et1359839089.353611 PostsRegistered 2/4/2011
How often do you have to touch up your roots?

NewerName1359840862.7571237 PostsRegistered 5/10/2012
On 2/2/2013 Lizzy Bennet said: How often do you have to touch up your roots?

I touch up my regrowth roots once a month, which was the same when I dyed my hair. The only difference is that I don't need to run color through my hair as henna DOES NOT fade at all. Sometimes I only touch up my roots around my hairline and along my part. I have stick straight hair and the regrowth shows the most where I part my hair so I don't need to cover all my regrowth everytime if I just do my part. The nice thing about henna is I just scoop out exactly how much I need and mix it fresh and save the rest for next time. I do think that using henna is making my hair grow faster, as I only started at the end of November and my hair has grown almost two inches since then.

I really don't mind the henna process but I totally understand that it would not be for everyone. Also, henna only produces various shades of red or auburn. Luckily this works for me as I come from a family of redheads so red hair suits my complexion very well and brightens up my skin tone. You can get black hair with a henna and indigo double process.

Last edited on 2/2/2013

Last edited on 2/2/2013

JustPeachy1359844279.4231048 PostsRegistered 5/16/2008

So Henna is permanent color? Wow, I'm gonna have to try this, my dark blonde fades to light every time I color it!

DARN, just read that you cant do blonde :(

Last edited on 2/2/2013

Last edited on 2/2/2013

irishone1359844722.3992 PostsRegistered 5/26/2007Windsor, co
Henna is very, very good for the scalp and hair. I use henna, leave on for 6 hours, and immediately follow with Indigo for 2 hours for a dark brown/soft black. I mix in salt with the Indigo to help it stick better. My hair has been falling out in handfuls and box colouring was making it worse. My hair is doing much better and actually growing in. I use Hennasooq Red Raj and regular Indigo. I also mix in some Amla with the henna to make the red more of a brown and so my curls don't straighten out from the Henna. I also love the process and do my whole head once a month.

irishone1359844879.12792 PostsRegistered 5/26/2007Windsor, co
JustPeacy, there are ways to naturally color blond hair. Go to the Hennasooq website and call their customer service number. You may use something called Cassia? Hennasooq will help you. The ladies there are very nice and super helpful.

NewerName1359846655.451237 PostsRegistered 5/10/2012
On 2/2/2013 irishone said: JustPeacy, there are ways to naturally color blond hair. Go to the Hennasooq website and call their customer service number. You may use something called Cassia? Hennasooq will help you. The ladies there are very nice and super helpful.

My mom gets a henna from Morrocco Method called Marigold and it colors a golden blonde. I don't think it's actually henna but is actually cassia, but MM doesn't provide correct ingredients. Either way it's a pretty shade. Cassia should also work well, or cassia with a tiny bit of henna could do a strawberry blonde.

grammycat1360440268.143363 PostsRegistered 8/13/2007

NewerName can you tell me the quantity you purchased. I have hair a little past my shoulders and pretty thick. I love the color Red Raj on hennasooq.com. I am a natural redhead so I think it would look natural.

Good4u1360445415.573202 PostsRegistered 1/12/2008USA - Midwest

Chemical color hair dyes, over time, are something I try to do as little of as possible. I have shoulder length thick, course hair but if I don't do something I look awful. I only do full head dye jobs twice a year and then do color root touch-ups every 2 mos. The rest of the time I use Joan River's Great Hair Day to mask the white roots.

The henna approach sounds incredibly time-consuming, but if it ever got to the pt. I could no longer tolerate chemical dyes, I would have no choice but to do henna. Thanks for sharing, op.

Last edited on 2/9/2013

Last edited on 2/9/2013

Last edited on 2/9/2013

Beauty is ALWAYS before age...(Dorthy Parker misquoted intentionally)
Light-golden warm skin tone (dry side), olive-green eyes, medium brunette: Dominant Color season - Warm Autumn.

NewerName1360451187.861237 PostsRegistered 5/10/2012
On 2/9/2013 grammycat said:

NewerName can you tell me the quantity you purchased. I have hair a little past my shoulders and pretty thick. I love the color Red Raj on hennasooq.com. I am a natural redhead so I think it would look natural.

I bought 600 grams of the red raj, I also have a lot of the jamila henna. I think both are excellent hennas. And yes, henna is extremely time consuming, but for some reason I enjoy the process, and I always hated dying my hair.

jazzbabe1360451503.8972844 PostsRegistered 12/14/2007

I currently use permanent color to cover my grays and am very interested in trying henna. However I wonder how it would turn out on my color-treated hair vs my roots. I wish I could find a hair salon that uses henna.

from jan1360570754.13110 PostsRegistered 12/15/2012California

Health food stores carry a natural hair color that isn't henna. I don't like the henna smell.

It is naturtint, and it comes in all colors and uses no toxic stuff, just herb and hydrogen peroxide. Colors are wonderful, better than any I've seen in drug stores., It was truely an eye opener, a friend of my used it for years and her hair is always perfect. Covers grey.

And you can eventually go blond.

NewerName1360580073.3071237 PostsRegistered 5/10/2012
On 2/11/2013 from jan said:

Health food stores carry a natural hair color that isn't henna. I don't like the henna smell.

It is naturtint, and it comes in all colors and uses no toxic stuff, just herb and hydrogen peroxide. Colors are wonderful, better than any I've seen in drug stores., It was truely an eye opener, a friend of my used it for years and her hair is always perfect. Covers grey.

And you can eventually go blond.

Not true. Naturtint contains PPD, the harmful ingredient used in hair dyes. It is no better for you or less harmful than drugstore haircolors, unless you are talking about the nonpermanent color rinse which won't really dye hair at all.

beautybee1360587027.4871124 PostsRegistered 1/11/2012
On 2/9/2013 jazzbabe said:

I currently use permanent color to cover my grays and am very interested in trying henna. However I wonder how it would turn out on my color-treated hair vs my roots. I wish I could find a hair salon that uses henna.

I would like to know this too please.

Also, did you grow your hair out before you started the henna or did you go directly from box coloring to henna? I am currently using Colorsilk, which I like, but the natural aspect of henna is very apealing to me.

NewerName1360589888.2131237 PostsRegistered 5/10/2012
On 2/11/2013 beautybee said:
On 2/9/2013 jazzbabe said:

I would like to know this too please.

Also, did you grow your hair out before you started the henna or did you go directly from box coloring to henna? I am currently using Colorsilk, which I like, but the natural aspect of henna is very apealing to me.

I did not grow out my dyed hair first. I just applied henna all over my head, new growth and previously dyed hair. I found that for me, the secret to blending the dyed hair in with the hennaed hair is indigo. After a day has gone by for the henna to oxidize, I mix up some indigo and applied it to any spot that seemed too bright and then rinsed it off after 15 minutes. This has blended my henna hair in with the dyed hair. The henna if it is BAQ henna if fine to use on dyed hair and does not damage it.

GmaJewele1360602473.667153 PostsRegistered 9/27/2012

My daughter is a henna artist (www.sarahenna.com) and she gives me her henna to use on my hair. I've used it with and without indigo. When you use indigo you have to use it in a 2 step process, but you don't have to wait any length of time in between the henna application and the indigo application. You can apply it while your hair is still wet from rinsing the henna out. You can also use henna and then afterwards use a mixture of henna and indigo if you want your hair to turn out to be a beautiful mahogony color.

If you don't like the smell you can add any essential oils you want to the henna to make it smell however you want. It won't affect the process at all!

Oh, one more thing... if the ends of your hair are damaged or more porous than the rest of your hair, put conditioner on the porous parts before the henna. That way, those parts of your hair won't stain more than the healthier parts and be darker.

Page 1 of 1