Labor Day Weekend Clearance
179 Members and 11645 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Foundation - full coverage for dry mature skin

Started 1359410448.653 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1359955291.007 by LinnieLou

I am torn between purchasing the Laura Mercier silk creme foundation and Chanel Vitalumiere I need a full coverage, moisturing foundation I am fair with broken capallaries and red in my skin. Does any one have an opinion before I purchase.

Page 1 of 2
MadamAnne1359412085.91517 PostsRegistered 9/15/2007

I am not familiar with those lines, however, I use Tarte's Amazonian Clay foundation (with the brush) and it works well for my older, dry skin (doesn't that sound awful?!!). I use Dr. D.'s Hydroshield and a bit of Dream Cream underneath it,and it does not settle in lines. In fact, the Tarte foundation feels good on the skin. Just a suggestion.

fromthebro­nx1359412450.441056 PostsRegistered 2/22/2011

Tarte Amazonian clay gets my vote, too. I've used the Laura Mercier, and it's good, too. I've not tried the Chanel. Another thing I like about the Tarte is how long one of those tubes lasts! Certainly longer than any other foundations I've tried.

tommysgirl1359414827.857709 PostsRegistered 10/20/2004

Now I have dry skin and the amazonian clay foundation made me look dried out by mid-day. It went on nice and "moist feeling" but took the moisture out of my face. I would definately go with a "creme" foundation if you are very very dry. Bobbi Brown makes a nice one I found very moisturizing called "Extra Repair SPF 25". It comes in a jar.

KatCat11359415884.7316835 PostsRegistered 7/21/2011

Have you considered Tarte? There is a new one with maracuja oil in it and it is full coverage and also the amazonian clay full coverage foundation. Tarte's foundation has a very nice finish. Personally, I would lean toward the new one w/maracuja oil as it will keep the skin hydrated plus it is anti=aging and has SPF 15 and is excellent for mature skin. Remember everything is returnable.

Last edited on 1/28/2013

Last edited on 1/28/2013

Sandysue1359416070.9771293 PostsRegistered 1/15/2007

I also use the Tarte amazonian clay foundation and you will get excellent coverage. For more moisture, though, I use Elizabeth Arden ceramide cream foundation. It covers everything and leaves a dewy finish. Lasts all day.

tommysgirl1359416159.923709 PostsRegistered 10/20/2004
On 1/28/2013 KatCat1 said:

Have you considered Tarte? There is a new one with maracuja oil in it and it is full coverage and also the amazonian clay full coverage foundation. Tarte's foundation has a very nice finish.

I've tried both their Amazonian Clay and the Maracuja foundation. The clay foundation dried me out and the maracuja was too heavy. I also didn't like the chemical sunscreen in the maracuja foundation. But thank you for the suggestion!

KatCat11359416432.3216835 PostsRegistered 7/21/2011
On 1/28/2013 tommysgirl said:
On 1/28/2013 KatCat1 said:

Have you considered Tarte? There is a new one with maracuja oil in it and it is full coverage and also the amazonian clay full coverage foundation. Tarte's foundation has a very nice finish.

I've tried both their Amazonian Clay and the Maracuja foundation. The clay foundation dried me out and the maracuja was too heavy. I also didn't like the chemical sunscreen in the maracuja foundation. But thank you for the suggestion!

Actually, I was suggesting it to the OP but sorry it did not work out for you.

Tricolor1359417755.185221 PostsRegistered 4/19/2010Pittsburgh Suburbs

My skin is exceptionally dry by nature. I tend to switch around my foundations because I always want to try the latest and greatest. One suggestion is to go for a creme formula. That will give you the most moisturization. Revlon makes a nice one. Armani and Dolce and Gabbana make nice ones for drier skin if you want to do a higher end.

64 years old
Retired RMA
Dry medium skintone
Blonde highlights
Dry thick coarse hair

intltravel­er1359420756.2680 PostsRegistered 11/2/2009

Molly- my skin sounds similar to yours & I have been alternating between Laura Mercier silk creme foundation & Tarte amazonian clay. Betw the 2 I think I like the LM a bit better. This afternoon I was at the derms office & bought a Colorescience face primer & mineral powder which I am interested in trying. After doing a little research online it seems that Colorescience & Oxygenetix brands are geared toward helping redness & they have a loyal following so I just might try their foundations as well.

PuppyBreath1359421175.34318676 PostsRegistered 1/10/2007Mn. Twins Fan

I also have never used the two you mentioned, but I have mature skin (although not dry) with broken capillaries, and the Tarte Amazonian clay covers so well, and does not look heavy at all. That is as much as I am willing to pay for a foundation, so I am not even looking for another. I am well pleased.

I do not use the brush, as wonderful as it is it is too big, and clumsy for me. I might swirl it around when I am done applying it with my fingers.

Puppy

Please support Pancreatic Cancer Research.

My favorite breed is Rescued.

KFS1359422332.09648 PostsRegistered 3/4/2008

I am in my mid 50's and am on the dry side and love the Tarte Amazonian Clay foundation in Medium. I use a moisturizer with it and it does not dry me out. I also, have just added the Tarte BB Primer with it and loved it too. Just make sure to moisturize your skin first and I think you will like it and the coverage it gives without looking heavy. Hope this helps..{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

kabella1359426476.7533951 PostsRegistered 1/30/2012

I think the Channel would give you more coverage that LM, Those 2 are not drying on the skin. Good choices. Make sure you use a hydrating moisturizer also a silicone primer to hold in the moisture & also will give a more silky finish. I tryed Tarte's but for me I prefer a light to med. coverage, don't have the redness. I found Tarte to be drying on my Normal/dry skin...You may want to get samples of all 3 & test them out...Some ladies here do use the Tarte with good results.

Ethereal1359426920.80383 PostsRegistered 8/17/2007

L'Oreal True Match Lumi

I love the True Match original for the wonderful range of color, but it was too dry on my skin. Lumi gives great coverage with better slip on the skin.

Rainbows a­nd Roses1359427061.64318545 PostsRegistered 6/4/2011

I hope you will try Dior Sculpt before you make a decision. Beautiful coverage. Goes on a bit heavy and dries so light it does not even feel it is on your face. Best to you......remember the foundation gets darker as the days wears on.

"Crying is for plain women, Pretty women go shopping." Oscar Wilde

"The most beautiful makeup of a woman is passion but cosmetics are easier to buy." YSL

Shogirl1359465399.11887 PostsRegistered 12/6/2010

I'm another vote for the Amazonian clay foundation for this 55-year old face! I use the Skinn 24-hr. youth preservative cream prior to the foundation, and it works perfectly.

isaboo1359474549.581791 PostsRegistered 3/6/2007Texas
On 1/28/2013 tommysgirl said:

Now I have dry skin and the amazonian clay foundation made me look dried out by mid-day. It went on nice and "moist feeling" but took the moisture out of my face. I would definately go with a "creme" foundation if you are very very dry. Bobbi Brown makes a nice one I found very moisturizing called "Extra Repair SPF 25". It comes in a jar.

I didn't have any luck with the amazonian clay foundation either. It also made me looked dried out.

beauty jun­kie1359475080.568295 PostsRegistered 11/1/2006Ft Laud

The LM is fantastic for mature dry skin which is me too and the coverage is fantastic.Unfortunately the Tarte didn't work out for me.felt to dry.You can get a sample of the LM at Sephora.

The Rainbow Bridge-we do not remember days,we remember moments!!

janey21359475118.567229 PostsRegistered 6/7/2010

No matter what foundations I try I keep going back to Chanel. They have a beautiful finish and good coverage for mature skin.

bella-luna1359475441.292538 PostsRegistered 2/4/2007TN

I don't have either of the foundations that you mentioned, but I do have Vitalumière Aqua. It's an OK foundation but it has a very strong scent. I should have taken it back, but I bought it well over a year ago and of course, didn't keep my reciept. {#emotions_dlg.bored} Good luck to you on your hunt!

Violet Eyes1359475950.5273438 PostsRegistered 11/9/2012

I have tried a lot of foundations but recently it was suggested to me, by a friend, that Cover Girl foundation +Olay,(Simply Ageless) is wonderful. I use 205 which is the lightest shade and it stays on and wears well. It comes with a sponge and is very easy to apply.

I like it better than even the Chanel foundation and Bobbi Brown foundations that I have used in the past....

just bee1359476538.1414118 PostsRegistered 1/3/2010Albuquerque, New Mexico
On 1/29/2013 Violet Eyes said:

I have tried a lot of foundations but recently it was suggested to me, by a friend, that Cover Girl foundation +Olay,(Simply Ageless) is wonderful. I use 205 which is the lightest shade and it stays on and wears well. It comes with a sponge and is very easy to apply.

I like it better than even the Chanel foundation and Bobbi Brown foundations that I have used in the past....

Getting warmer...

I'm looking for a drugstore brand -- I'm not going to splurge on a Chanel, Dior, or tarte product. Right now I use Paula's Choice and I like her foundation, but I'd really like to find a suitable item at a local store.

I'm leaning towards Almay right now but I worry about turning orange. Choosing the right color is always an issue.

My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.

Violet Eyes1359476994.0373438 PostsRegistered 11/9/2012
On 1/29/2013 just bee said:

Getting warmer...

I'm looking for a drugstore brand -- I'm not going to splurge on a Chanel, Dior, or tarte product. Right now I use Paula's Choice and I like her foundation, but I'd really like to find a suitable item at a local store.

I'm leaning towards Almay right now but I worry about turning orange. Choosing the right color is always an issue.

I tried Almay and it turned orange on me. I always wear the fairest shade of most foundations.

Personally, price means little when it comes to beauty products. I have bought some of the most expensive and disliked them. I still swear by L'Oreal mascara after having tried Chanel and a lot of other very expensive brands..even that one by Dior that everyone raves about.Smile

just bee1359477229.35714118 PostsRegistered 1/3/2010Albuquerque, New Mexico

Getting warmer...

I tried Almay and it turned orange on me. I always wear the fairest shade of most foundations.

Personally, price means little when it comes to beauty products. I have bought some of the most expensive and disliked them. I still swear by L'Oreal mascara after having tried Chanel and a lot of other very expensive brands..even that one by Dior that everyone raves about.Smile

Rats!!! Was it Smart Shade?

My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.

Dublingrl1359478631.931382 PostsRegistered 6/1/2008

I like Boobi Brown it's in a stick you can make it as heave or light as you want. I have dry skin, also it's easy to pack or keep in your purse.

I also like MAC.

I haven't tried the 2 mentioned above, I would go to the store try it on wear it for the day, and see what it looks like at the end of the day before purchasing, sometimes they will make up a sample for you so you can try it out first and then decide.

Violet Eyes1359479416.223438 PostsRegistered 11/9/2012

Getting warmer...

Rats!!! Was it Smart Shade?

Unfortunately, yes it was Smart Shade.{#emotions_dlg.sad}In fact, I have never been able to find any foundation from Almay light enough for my complexion.....

Page 1 of 2